E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

212 Rear Bumper Fit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 06:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
212 Rear Bumper Fit

I had noticed that at some points, side and rear, the rear bumper cover does not fit perfectly flush with the sheet metal. I just expressed (to myself) surprise that the fit was a bit sloppy --- the bumper cover sticks out a bit at the sides and rear at certain points -- fractions of an inch, admittedly. "Oh well . . " I thought.

Then I noticed Konigstiger's service notice:

LI88.20-P-052891 - 212 rear bumper sticks out in area of rear lamp. Bumper experiences thermal expansion mounting rails (fender area) cannot sufficiently hold the bumper in place. If bumper is not equipped with additional latch, it should be replaced. Note since JAN11 bumpers are equipped with additional retaining tab.

So I brought this to the attention of my service department at the 40,000 service and they kept the car for a few days to order a new bumper cover and get it through the paint shop. Now a perfect fit!!
Thanks Konigstiger!!
And also for the "bump in the middle of the front seat with seat heater" service notice, for which the dealer also replaced the seat heat pad --- which I suspect was for more than the "bump"; it was, after all, an electrical connection.

This forum, and Konigs, have been a godsend!

Last edited by Live Oak; 08-05-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by Live Oak
I had noticed that at some points, side and rear, the rear bumper cover does not fit perfectly flush with the sheet metal. I just expressed (to myself) surprise that the fit was a bit sloppy --- the bumper cover sticks out a bit at the sides and rear at certain points -- fractions of an inch, admittedly. "Oh well . . " I thought.

LI88.20-P-052891 - 212 rear bumper sticks out in area of rear lamp. Bumper experiences thermal expansion mounting rails (fender area) cannot sufficiently hold the bumper in place. If bumper is not equipped with additional latch, it should be replaced. Note since JAN11 bumpers are equipped with additional retaining tab.

So I brought this to the attention of my service department at the 40,000 service and they kept the car for a few days to order a new bumper cover and get it through the paint shop. Now a perfect fit!!
Thanks Konigstiger!!
And also for the "bump in the middle of the front seat with seat heater" service notice, for which the dealer also replaced the seat heat pad --- which I suspect was for more than the "bump"; it was, after all, an electrical connection.

Bump in the middle of the seat?! I have been noticing that the past few weeks. I wish I read about this earlier because I just hit 50,300 miles. I have a CPO and extended warranty so I hope this may be covered?? I need to take a look at the bumper problem. I have a '10.

And yes, those gentlemen and others are what really makes this a great forum! I have found many great tips, tweaks, as well as humorous postings.

Last edited by stale-bread; 08-05-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts
W212 FL
I appreciate you talk highly about him
+212 on this topic and good to see you fixed it
Old 04-26-2014, 02:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Previous: 2011 E550 4MATIC Current: 2018 AMG C 43 Coupe, 2021 GLC 300
Originally Posted by Live Oak

Thanks Konigstiger!!

Thank you all very much. With the warmer weather I noticed the left/right rear bumper top 'points' flaring out at the taillights enough to catch my eye. You can actually push in on the area around the point, and I wondered why it would be that way. First thought was that sick to the stomach feeling--being fooled buying a lease return that had been popped but fixed without reporting to insurance. I found this posting, and will get it addressed by the dealer.