E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Iphone connected via bluetooth but no audio streaming?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 S550
Inexpensive Bluetooth Streaming Option

Originally Posted by tommy19
I recently purchased an e class coupe with what seems the basic audio system, however it does have bluetooth connection and have managed to get my phone connected for the purpose of making and receiving calls. for what ever reason (maybe not possible) but i can not get my music to play through the bluetooth the only way i am able to play music off my iphone is through the aux cable located in the glovebox :/ if anyone could help would be very much appreciated.

thanks guys

(posted it here as i believe they are the same)
I have a Tune2Air WMA3000A that I purchased to stream music via bluetooth in my 2013 S550. Unfortunately, I could never get it to work. It connects to my iPhone 7 just fine, but does not send audio to the COMAND. What I have found is that I may have spent the money on the Tune2Air unnecessarily because my 15.00 Pyle PBTR60 30 pin bluetooth adapter works! As long as you plug both the 30 pin connector AND the 2.5mm AUX cable to the PBTR60, it will stream your music through the stereo. The only thing it does not do that the Tune2Air does is display info on the screen. I can use Pandora as long as I control it from the phone. Not quite as good as the Tune2Air does in vehicles it actually works in, but wireless none the less. If you don't want to spend the money, and you have the right cable in the glove box, you should be good to go.

This thing is less than 20.00 on ebay, and streams audio in the S550 just fine.

Last edited by SemperSaint; 12-06-2017 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Image was too large
Old 12-09-2017, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 835 Likes on 604 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Tried to reply with Quote to Robertas S. but for some reason the Quote does not show up...

I first had a 2011 E350 and then swapped it to my current 2010 E550. On both cars there was trouble to get Bluetooth audio working after it was enabled in the engineering menu. Before enabling it in engineering menu it did not even show up in the selection. At the time MB had some sort of a module you could buy and connect to the car that would enable audio streaming but I heard those did now work that well and they discontinued them.

After enabling BT Audio I was able to connect my old iPhone but I had to do "external authorization" or something like that every time I started the car. Not good. And it was not very good connection, lots of cuts and scratches.

I then asked my MB dealer service to look into updating the software and voila, the audio streaming started working. I had this done to both 2011 E350 and the current 2010 E550.The problem with 2010 E550 first was that after the SW update my audio kept randomly going mute. I had to complain about this for a while as it was random and, of course, never happened when I was at the dealer until one morning in hundreds miles away from home this happened on the first start of the car and I was 1/4 miles from a local MB dealer. Went there and without turning the car off explained to their service tech the situation and they took it in past the line as I had to keep it running for them to verify my issue.

After this I went to my own dealer MB service and they did the SW update again. I was told that the newest update they had first used was not fully compatible with my car and they had to revert back one version, which worked and is still working fine in my car 5 1/2 years later.I'm quite sure your problem would be fixed with SW update but it would cost you some money as your car probably is not under warranty any more but it should not be all that expensive. Mine was done under warranty for both cars.

If someone can tell me where to find the SW version in the engineering menu I could look and post it here if it would be of any help. I don't know if sedan and coupe use the same system but I would think so.

Last edited by Arrie; 12-09-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 835 Likes on 604 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Arrie
Tried to reply with Quote to Robertas S. but for some reason the Quote does not show up...

I first had a 2011 E350 and then swapped it to my current 2010 E550. On both cars there was trouble to get Bluetooth audio working after it was enabled in the engineering menu. Before enabling it in engineering menu it did not even show up in the selection. At the time MB had some sort of a module you could buy and connect to the car that would enable audio streaming but I heard those did now work that well and they discontinued them.

After enabling BT Audio I was able to connect my old iPhone but I had to do "external authorization" or something like that every time I started the car. Not good. And it was not very good connection, lots of cuts and scratches.

I then asked my MB dealer service to look into updating the software and voila, the audio streaming started working. I had this done to both 2011 E350 and the current 2010 E550.The problem with 2010 E550 first was that after the SW update my audio kept randomly going mute. I had to complain about this for a while as it was random and, of course, never happened when I was at the dealer until one morning in hundreds miles away from home this happened on the first start of the car and I was 1/4 miles from a local MB dealer. Went there and without turning the car off explained to their service tech the situation and they took it in past the line as I had to keep it running for them to verify my issue.

After this I went to my own dealer MB service and they did the SW update again. I was told that the newest update they had first used was not fully compatible with my car and they had to revert back one version, which worked and is still working fine in my car 5 1/2 years later.I'm quite sure your problem would be fixed with SW update but it would cost you some money as your car probably is not under warranty any more but it should not be all that expensive. Mine was done under warranty for both cars.

If someone can tell me where to find the SW version in the engineering menu I could look and post it here if it would be of any help. I don't know if sedan and coupe use the same system but I would think so.
Adding to my own reply.

Below two takes from my service receipts for the SW Update and then the Backdate to stop the random mute on the radio.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:35 PM

2013 S550
After fiddling with this thing a bit more, what appears to be happening is that ONLY the 3.5mm AUX cable carries bluetooth audio through my COMAND. The WMA3000A does not have an AUX port on it, so there's no streaming through the built on cable of the WMA3000A. I bought a bluetooth unit off Ebay for less than 5.00 that has the 3.5mm AUX port, and connected ONLY the AUX cable to it. It streams bluetooth loudly and clearly in my 2013 S550. The only thing it does not do that the 89.00 WMA3000A does is display on the COMAND screen, so you have to control it from the phone. I still have a replacement WMA3000A coming on Monday, but I'm not optimistic that it will work due to the lack of a 3.5 AUX port on it.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:41 PM

2013 S550

These things cost only 4.72 each on Ebay, and all you need to do is plug in the 3.5 AUX cable for it to stream.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:51 PM

2011 e350
Bluetooth

Originally Posted by tommy19
I recently purchased an e class coupe with what seems the basic audio system, however it does have bluetooth connection and have managed to get my phone connected for the purpose of making and receiving calls. for what ever reason (maybe not possible) but i can not get my music to play through the bluetooth the only way i am able to play music off my iphone is through the aux cable located in the glovebox :/ if anyone could help would be very much appreciated.

thanks guys

(posted it here as i believe they are the same)
I am having the same problem from what I understand is that the 2010-2011 with the FC card
Its not going to happen. If you have a Sd card you might be in luck. FC 4 vs 4.5 sd card
I am going to buy a bluetooth adapter for my glove capartment . You can control your music from the steering wheel for all the music download to your phone only. (Not Pandora ect)

Last edited by Debbie Farnung; 12-26-2018 at 09:57 PM.