E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Replacing battery fixed my adaptive High Beam Assist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550, 2007 R350
Replacing battery fixed my adaptive High Beam Assist

Half way through a date with my wife Saturday night we hopped into my 2010 E550 and tried to drive from a restaurant to a show. The headlights flashed on and off, the clock hands started running backwards (and quick too), it showed me an SRS System message and the whole car went dead.
Called roadside assistance and when he came out he told me the battery was dead. He added that he's been replacing a lot of batteries on the 2010's. Luckily mine was still within warranty and he replaced it for free.

He dropped in a bigger version of the battery and she started right up. Good news. A few minutes later I discovered that the adaptive high beams, were suddenly working. Up until that point they had not been. I kept meaning to bring it in to have them checked and now I don't have to. Odd that the battery would affect that.

PS - Big thanks to Tony from Barrington Motorwerks who left his wife and 4 kids at 11:00 PM on a Saturday night to rescue me.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 635 Likes on 478 Posts
W212 FL
I knew a weak battery can cause weird things to happen but that's too much lol
I appreciate your posting about his help
I too read W222 S63 AMG come with more powerful battery even than before ,just a reminder
Old 08-27-2013, 08:46 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Sorry if bit off-topic but some years ago my navigation failed on my old E320. Of course, dealer wanted over $1k to replace it but thanks to info on this forum, I upgraded the firmware ($20) and it's been working ever since.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
It is likely that the process of disconnecting the old battery allowed the device time to drain and fully power down. In my E, I had the backup camera stop responding. I disconnected the battery, waited a couple minutes, reconnected, and everything was functioning again. This occurred in my E prior to a COMAND update and I never had the issue again. Electronics are the Achilles heal of the modern automobile. It is sad to think that my S-Class could easily last a few decades, but, the LCD Screens and electronics will not. And, I imagine that parts for these devices will be difficult to find in twenty years.