E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2014 w212 pano vs lighting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 09:17 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by qtip
Well just turn your light switch to on (very farthest clock-wise) and then push the stalk forward as fintail said.
I don't think that disables AHBA. Why would it? All that does is turns on the headlight regardless of the ambient light situation.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 634 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Dema
Somehow it wasn't clear in manual that to make high beam permanent I need to disable something in command. Anyway car is going back, so I will just keep the knowledge.
Perhaps I need to drive both cars in dark to make decision toward lightning package.

The automatic adaptive head lights can be disabled in two ways. If you turn the light switch to lights ON position the high beams work just like on any car, i.e. stalk forward for HI-beam.

But this means that you have to manually turn the lights ON and OFF.

The other way is to disable the adaptive head lights in the cluster menu. This way you can leave the light switch on Auto and lights will come ON as needed in dark. With this the HI-beam again works as in any car from the stalk.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Second way seems preferable since here is a risk to forget to turn light off after driving. I am pretty sure that modern car can prevent draining battery, but here is still a risk.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:27 PM

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
S213 E450 4Matic, W111 220SE - prior cars: 3x W212, W210 E55 AMG, W202 C43 AMG, W126 300SE
I don't think there's a real risk of battery drain - the headlights just turn on all the time with the running lights when the car is on. When the car is off, the lights switch off. I've ran my car on a few dreary days where I wanted headlights for the highway - I just left the lights in the "on" position, no problems.

Second way seems preferable since here is a risk to forget to turn light off after driving. I am pretty sure that modern car can prevent draining battery, but here is still a risk.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
I was under impression you can turn on lights with stopped engine just to illuminate something.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350
Thanks guys the car is here I didn't get lighting I just got pano :0/ but I'm looking to get high power led h7 for high beam. I'm driving in the city as well so I should be fine.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
2014 E350 in white was parked next to me in a movie theater parking lot last night, it was around 10pm, so I could compare lighting package with a car without it. It looks much less impressive in person than on pictures. No more light for low beam for sure, and looks awkward, so I am glad I didn't take it.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350
2014 E350 in white was parked next to me in a movie theater parking lot last night, it was around 10pm, so I could compare lighting package with a car without it. It looks much less impressive in person than on pictures. No more light for low beam for sure, and looks awkward, so I am glad I didn't take it.
So you mean you didn't take lighting ?
Old 12-02-2013, 09:51 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by Arrie
The automatic adaptive head lights can be disabled in two ways. If you turn the light switch to lights ON position the high beams work just like on any car, i.e. stalk forward for HI-beam.

But this means that you have to manually turn the lights ON and OFF.

The other way is to disable the adaptive head lights in the cluster menu. This way you can leave the light switch on Auto and lights will come ON as needed in dark. With this the HI-beam again works as in any car from the stalk.
This is all correct. Now that I finally have my car I can confirm that this is indeed how it works.

That's one way to rationalize it . Seriously though, I got the lighting package and so far I'm kind of a mixed bag on it. The turning feature works like it did on my BMW bi-xenon which I like a lot. The corner lighting works fantastic and illuminates really well when I'm turning at an intersection. The DRLs look fantastic and I love how the DRL shuts off when you put the blinker on then it gradually builds back to fully lit once the blinker is shut off. My wife's A4 just goes off and turns back on without the gradual build-up, it looks very cool and nice.

As for the actual adaptive high beam, so far I'm not too impressed. I leave the stalk in the high beam mode but it seldom actually provides me with high beam but I don't really drive anywhere other than congested highways where I couldn't use high-beam anyway. I might go for a ride on a country road just to see how the system works.

All in all I'd still order the package for all the features in the first paragraph but so far the adaptive high beam is not that impressive. Maybe I'll change my opinion once I have more than 300 miles on the car.

BTW the only option I didn't get was the panoramic roof and I'm perfectly happy without it. No regrets.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 634 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by GregTR
This is all correct. Now that I finally have my car I can confirm that this is indeed how it works.

That's one way to rationalize it . Seriously though, I got the lighting package and so far I'm kind of a mixed bag on it. The turning feature works like it did on my BMW bi-xenon which I like a lot. The corner lighting works fantastic and illuminates really well when I'm turning at an intersection. The DRLs look fantastic and I love how the DRL shuts off when you put the blinker on then it gradually builds back to fully lit once the blinker is shut off. My wife's A4 just goes off and turns back on without the gradual build-up, it looks very cool and nice.

As for the actual adaptive high beam, so far I'm not too impressed. I leave the stalk in the high beam mode but it seldom actually provides me with high beam but I don't really drive anywhere other than congested highways where I couldn't use high-beam anyway. I might go for a ride on a country road just to see how the system works.

All in all I'd still order the package for all the features in the first paragraph but so far the adaptive high beam is not that impressive. Maybe I'll change my opinion once I have more than 300 miles on the car.

BTW the only option I didn't get was the panoramic roof and I'm perfectly happy without it. No regrets.

The main point is not the Automatic High/Low beam switching. It is the Low beam lighting distance adaptation to the car in front of you. There is no dark area between you and the other car.

You can test this while driving behind a car at some distance by pulling the stalk to disable the adaptation. The low beam will jump to the shortest distance as it would be without the adaptive lights. Now you will also see the dark area between the cars.

You can also experience the lights go to shorter distance based on the on-coming traffic.

This feature is valuable and a strong sign for this is insurance companies giving discounts against it.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Al benzo
Just need a little advice here from the 2014 w212 drivers looking to trade my 2013 sport p1 grey/blk for a white/blk p1 sport .. This is whats available for me to pick a white/blk p1 sport with pano roof or a white/blk sport p1 push start, lane track and lighting package. I can live with out the lane track and push start but lighting I heard was kind of a big deal with the new e class. Unlike before I would say hell with it and just drop a 6k hid kit and call it the day but from what I hear it's led now. I just like the xenon look can I get away with out lighting ? Is it possible to put a kit in it ? Help plz
I wouldn't buy any MB without the lane change/track feature (for safety)...and having had the keyless go package, it's a great feature which includes push button trunk closing which sounds ridiculous, but is actually very nice to have.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
New power trunk closer works also with foot kicking which generally makes it less ridiculous and actually helping, especially if you carry in or out something really heavy and do not want an extra trip just to trunk close.