E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

W212 Bluetec CPO: What about DPF / Engine Sludge...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
W212 Bluetec CPO: What about DPF / Engine Sludge...?

I've been reading in the Diesel forum about some ML350 Bluetec owners experiencing either $4k-$5k DPF repairs or complete engine failure, and I can only assume that the majority of this is in-part due to the owner's repeated use of >B5 ULSD fuel. Here in Illinois, dealers were requiring new Bluetec buyers to sign a waiver releasing the dealer and/or MBUSA from responsibility for warranty coverage in the event of the above mentioned issues.

So here's my question: If I were to buy a CPO Bluetec with say 15k-25k miles on it from an out of state dealer (or any dealer for that matter), what is my recourse in the event one of the above issues arises? Since I can't verify what type of diesel fuel the prior owner/leasee used, where is the line drawn in terms of responsibility to cover a future-needed catastrophic repair?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
In the forum, there is one post from one owner that states the engine seized up due to sludge. There were many follow-up questions which the owner never responded to. Seemed like a fishy story to me, having owned a couple of Bluetecs at this point. I mean, the same engine is in Sprinter commercial delivery vans. If you have read of more instances then, if I were you, I wouldn't consider one for myself. The fuel used would not be a likely culprit. A more likely culprit would be the owner doing his own oil changes and not using a specified oil. If you were to by a CPO Bluetec with 15-25k miles on it, it would not be close to being broken in. You would be covered until 100k miles. That is your "recourse" to the imaginary "multiple owners" experiencing this issue you open your post with. In reality, there is only a single post by a single owner who vanished once questions were posed. I don't think there was ever an answer to the question about oil changes. Maybe none were performed? Who knows. The bottom line is that this is one of the best diesel engines on the planet and has logged 100's of millions of miles in the various applications it is used with no wide-spread issues being reported.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:52 AM

None
^^^ A very acceptable and much appreciated answer. I might be overdoing the caution merely b/c of what the dealer's here in Illinois tell me. I also spend a lot of time on the Volkswagon TDI forum as they have a running thread created to help Illinois diesel drivers find the MB approved <=B5 diesel. I have read that mroe frequent oil changes may be needed due to buildup (not sure of the hows and whys of all of this), and I've read here that only a very specific oil should be used for the Bluetec engine. I'm very much committed to searching out the best diesel fuel and would rather spend a little more for the dealer to take care of things properly, so it sounds as if I'm concerned about nothing.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
I have found myself having to fill up with B20. The only difference I noticed, is the engine ran smoother, but, lost an mpg or two. I truly doubt there would be any negative long-term implications for running any bio fuel. While I make every effort to adhere to MBs recommendations, sometimes it is just not possible. I think MB is making a PR mistake not yielding on the B-whatever fuel issue. With Audi, VW, BMW, Porche, Chevy (cruze), trucks (Ford, Chevy, RAM, MB, Freightliner, etc) all competing for the same customers, MB no longer rules the roost.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:25 PM

MB 350 BT P2 Distronics+
I just bought a Bluetec and did not know there were different types of diesels. What should I be looking for? Is standard ULSD all theat we get nowadays?
Old 11-28-2013, 09:53 AM

None
Originally Posted by Sage555
I just bought a Bluetec and did not know there were different types of diesels. What should I be looking for? Is standard ULSD all theat we get nowadays?
IMO the best place to begin is Mercedes Benz's official statement/brochure on the different types of diesel, what they consider approved diesel fuel, and what pump stickers to look for.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:07 AM

MB 350 BT P2 Distronics+
Originally Posted by lbgottlieb
IMO the best place to begin is Mercedes Benz's official statement/brochure on the different types of diesel, what they consider approved diesel fuel, and what pump stickers to look for.

Thanks a lot. The document is unavailable but will search on MB site too
Old 11-28-2013, 10:58 AM

None
Originally Posted by Sage555
Thanks a lot. The document is unavailable but will search on MB site too
Sorry - I'm typing on an iPad and I can't get the link to cut/paste properly. Just Google "Mercedes Benz Biodiesel", you'll come up with a link to a .pdf. I just tried it and it's there.