E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Mod continues... what do you guys think?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E-class
Originally Posted by Arrie
alanme 123 never indicated that he would be painting the grille. He simply asked if the grille I have would look good on his car and I pointed out that 55Tech actually sells already painted one. You obviously don't either read or are not capable of thinking and reading the posts and attack against others even when it has nothing to do with your poser mobile.

hey, chill. where in that post did you see any forms of attack??
it was a friendly reminder to him that if he's going for the black grill, he could just buy the older version and save some dough.

what is it with you?

Originally Posted by Arrie
And I have to apologize here in public that I did not answer your original question of what I think about your car. I think it looks stunning from front and sides and even from rear from some distance but that AMG just makes the whole package a joke and I guarantee you it will bring lots of laughs and jokes amongst people who know what the AMG means when they pull behind your car. You would be better off not using any badges on the trunk lid.
thanks. and i respect your personal opinion.

i can also guarantee you that your big star grill will bring lots of laughs and jokes amongst people who know how E class look like (pre-facelift). i've seen those comments on various websites; i'm sure you have too. but that's just their opinions. as long as you're happy, who cares about what others think, right?

Old 12-25-2013, 11:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W205 C43, C204 C63, & Honda Fit
@leapingpoint, enjoy the car in good health. It looks tastefully done. Got any build pics to share? Any performance changes? I really like the wheels on your E200, but think that you may need spacers for the rear wheels.

P.S. I've travelled to Taiwan, China and Japan and noticed the AMG badge on average Mercs more than you would see anywhere else. It might very well be due to the rich automotive customization cultures there. I prefer my toys de-badge!
Old 12-26-2013, 08:09 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,355 Likes on 2,809 Posts
2012 CLS63
Talking

Originally Posted by leapingpoint
look at all the mercedes stars on your car!
you're really that insecure and are worried that people won't know your car is a mercedes?

like i said, serious insecurity issues!

btw, did you get consent from disney for putting that mickey on your car?
when did you tell me I was insecure??

are you still trying to drag down the ones who disagree with you to your level?
when are you going to stop pretending you own an AMG?

also, please post your other exotics: it's okay to do in this thread here :
https://mbworld.org/forums/ml55-amg-...ml#post5886390

Last edited by hyperion667; 12-26-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 E350
Thanks for the ideas guys. I looked at the thinner and thicker grill(the one that was posted in the pictures above). I think the thinner one looks better?

Also, is the 55tech grill star removable? I want to add the illuminated star (don't judge please) the one they sell on eBay. Maybe after I confirm the dimensions are the same, I can switch them out and connect the start to the daylight running lights or something. Yes, I know by law I cannot drive it while on. I will only use it when the engine is off.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:37 AM

CLK55
Wow, what a lame use of time on most of the haters part, really ladies...6 pages of reiterating the same comments over & over...?

The guys car (imo) is tastefully modded, and he never tried to pass it off for anything it wasn't, he left the original spec' badges on... Who the F' cares.. imo he's far from posing, and he seems to have a very mature attitude in even retorting to half of the immature & insecure comments being made...

His car is so far from a beat down civic, with a 3' high spoiler, rims & wheels worth more than the car...and frankly even if it was..it's his life & his choice..perhaps snicker to yourself in your head.. but your ego's must be pretty fragile deep down (truly) if you feel the need to outwardly continue such a tangent against someone expressing themselves... smh...

I don't normally comment about other peoples lil' spats, but this 2/3rds' of this thread was excessively stupid and unjustified..
Old 12-26-2013, 07:54 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Old 12-27-2013, 08:09 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post5887180
Old 12-27-2013, 08:16 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
[QUOTE=whitee;5886523]Wow, what a lame use of time on most of the haters part, really ladies...6 pages of reiterating the same comments over & over...?

The guys car (imo) is tastefully modded, and he never tried to pass it off for anything it wasn't, he left the original spec' badges on... Who the F' cares.. imo he's far from posing, and he seems to have a very mature attitude in even retorting to half of the immature & insecure comments being made...

His car is so far from a beat down civic, with a 3' high spoiler, rims & wheels worth more than the car...and frankly even if it was..it's his life & his choice..perhaps snicker to yourself in your head.. but your ego's must be pretty fragile deep down (truly) if you feel the need to outwardly continue such a tangent against someone expressing themselves... smh...

I don't normally comment about other peoples lil' spats, but this 2/3rds' of this thread was excessively stupid and unjustified..[/QUOTE

"haters"? no

maybe it took pages and pages to convince OP that what he has done to his 200 is whack......yeah, it looks really nice: that's because AMG cars look NICER THAN regular MB's........also why he's modding them in the first place.....
the word INSECURE again huh???
you think you can 'disarm' people by making one sanctimonious, flyby comment like this?
no one has seen the pages of banter to be HELPFUL?

has nothing to do with EGO, maybe it does for OP since he is the one that does not have a real AMG...........
also>why are you trying to be so engraciating to the OP? are you friends with him?
you think all his justification and retorts are valid?

why not have all those AMG parts for looks? Why even have the badge? how about all the parts and no AMG? Maybe that would have worked......
I for one would never do it
Old 01-03-2014, 07:00 AM

E-class
[QUOTE=hyperion667;5887218]
Originally Posted by whitee
Wow, what a lame use of time on most of the haters part, really ladies...6 pages of reiterating the same comments over & over...?

I don't normally comment about other peoples lil' spats, but this 2/3rds' of this thread was excessively stupid and unjustified..[/QUOTE

"haters"? no

maybe it took pages and pages to convince OP that what he has done to his 200 is whack......yeah, it looks really nice: that's because AMG cars look NICER THAN regular MB's........also why he's modding them in the first place.....
the word INSECURE again huh???
you think you can 'disarm' people by making one sanctimonious, flyby comment like this?
no one has seen the pages of banter to be HELPFUL?

has nothing to do with EGO, maybe it does for OP since he is the one that does not have a real AMG...........
also>why are you trying to be so engraciating to the OP? are you friends with him?
you think all his justification and retorts are valid?

why not have all those AMG parts for looks? Why even have the badge? how about all the parts and no AMG? Maybe that would have worked......
I for one would never do it

Wow, someone disagrees with you here in the thread, he must be my friend?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Hahahahahahahahahaah
Old 01-03-2014, 08:57 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
poser!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 AM

E-class
Originally Posted by hyperion667
poser!!!

You stopped taking meds?
Why? Does your doctor know?

Old 01-03-2014, 11:28 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
no, didn't stop, had to get a new 'script to put up with the posers here, and yes, my team of dr's already know
Old 01-03-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 CLS550 4Matic
[QUOTE=leapingpoint;5893770]

Wow, someone disagrees with you here in the thread, he must be my friend?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Hahahahahahahahahaah
leapingpoint,

I have to say you post with the conversation and wit of an 8 year-old.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:20 PM

lexus gx470
I'm still waiting for some pics of his supercars. Maybe couple more of the non-amg, amg?
Old 01-03-2014, 06:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
I think LP has one of the nicest if not the nicest Benz on the board. I don't care if it's a replica in a way. The car world, especially the classic car world is full of replica's, 100% replica with not an ounce of reality other than appearance that people love and pay big money for, badges and all. Anyway I love his car, I really do and always have!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:54 PM

lexus gx470
I'm still waiting for some pics of his supercars. Maybe couple more of the non-amg, amg?
Old 01-03-2014, 07:37 PM

E-class
no, didn't stop, had to get a new 'script to put up with the posers here, and yes, my team of dr's already know
I guess your team of doctors didnt tell you that you're really just taking vitamin; coz what you got, your team of doctors can't even help u.

Last edited by leapingpoint; 01-03-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:39 PM

E-class
[QUOTE=Jeffy;5894453]

leapingpoint,

I have to say you post with the conversation and wit of an 8 year-old.

You and Hyperion post with the conversation and wit of a 2 year old.

And I have to apologize to some of the gentlemen here in the thread, that they had to read thru your crap.

Last edited by leapingpoint; 01-03-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:42 PM

E-class
Originally Posted by chrisvr6
There's something called the search function. If you don't know how to use it, you should ask your dog.

Last edited by leapingpoint; 01-03-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:44 PM

E-class
Originally Posted by alanme123
Thanks for the ideas guys. I looked at the thinner and thicker grill(the one that was posted in the pictures above). I think the thinner one looks better?

Also, is the 55tech grill star removable? I want to add the illuminated star (don't judge please) the one they sell on eBay. Maybe after I confirm the dimensions are the same, I can switch them out and connect the start to the daylight running lights or something. Yes, I know by law I cannot drive it while on. I will only use it when the engine is off.
If the vendor sells the grill package with a genuine Mercedes star, yes it is removable.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
I think the OP's car looks very nice.

On a side note . . .

I like to look at the whole AMG badge on a non-AMG car from a legal (more specifically, intellectual property) standpoint.

Why do companies go to such great lengths to protect their logos, trademarks/registered trademarks, etc.?

One answer is because they don't want to have their brand diluted. If you bought a can of Soda that was labeled "Coca-Cola" but instead of being a genuine can of Coke, it was actually a can filled with vinegar, you would probably be disappointed for several reasons.

For example, you'd be disappointed you spent Coke money, expected Coke quality, and got some kind of nasty tasting vinegar solution.

Someone sees you spew the wretched vinegar out of your mouth, hears you say it tastes like crap, and then to a very small extent (in this example, ridiculously small) the Coke brand has been diluted as the observer associates the poor quality of the contents of the drink with the label on the outside of it.

AMG puts its badges on the trunk (and elsewhere) of AMG cars to promote a sense of quality, exclusivity, and brand identity. It wants to protect the strength of this brand by only doing this on the vehicles that it manufacturers so that they can control the perception of the brand as much as possible. The success of the AMG brand depends on putting badge-wearing products out into the world that sound, perform, and look a certain way. The AMG badge is an easy way to distinguish the product from other competitors.

Putting AMG badges on non-AMG cars dilutes the brand because you have cars that aren't engineered in accordance with what AMG primarily stands for and represents.

What's the value of an AMG badge (which stands for craftsmanship, exhilarating performance, exclusivity, etc.) if some BMW M enthusiast that doesn't know much about the AMG brand (and is also thinking of trying an AMG car) sees a C300 with an AMG badge get dusted by a BMW 328i?

He'll probably think spending AMG-money doesn't get you much.

This is one of the reasons why AMG owners get upset when they see AMG badges on non-AMG cars. They paid for a certain brand not only for what the car actually does but what it stands for and having cars out there with AMG branding that lack AMG performance dilute the brand's message and importance.

This was quickly written and was a very broad overview of the significance of branding, etc. but I hope people kind of pick up on what I'm saying.

In sum, if everyone put AMG badges on their cars, what would be the point of putting one on/having one on anymore? What does the brand stand for at that point? You've either changed the meaning entirely by then or destroyed its character.

Last edited by zibby43; 01-03-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:47 PM

E-class
Originally Posted by zibby43
I think the OP's car looks very nice.

On a side note . . .

I like to look at the whole AMG badge on a non-AMG car from a legal (more specifically, intellectual property) standpoint.

Why do companies go to such great lengths to protect their logos, trademarks/registered trademarks, etc.?

One answer is because they don't want to have their brand diluted. If you bought a can of Soda that was labeled "Coca-Cola" but instead of being a genuine can of Coke, it was actually a can filled with vinegar, you would probably be disappointed for several reasons.

For example, you'd be disappointed you spent Coke money, expected Coke quality, and got some kind of nasty tasting vinegar solution.

Someone sees you spew the wretched vinegar out of your mouth, hears you say it tastes like crap, and then to a very small extent (in this example, ridiculously small) the Coke brand has been diluted as the observer associates the poor quality of the contents of the drink with the label on the outside of it.

AMG puts its badges on the trunk (and elsewhere) of AMG cars to promote a sense of quality, exclusivity, and brand identity. It wants to protect the strength of this brand by only doing this on the vehicles that it manufacturers so that they can control the perception of the brand as much as possible. The success of the AMG brand depends on putting badge-wearing products out into the world that sound, perform, and look a certain way. The AMG badge is an easy way to distinguish the product from other competitors.

Putting AMG badges on non-AMG cars dilutes the brand because you have cars that aren't engineered in accordance with what AMG primarily stands for and represents.

What's the value of an AMG badge (which stands for craftsmanship, exhilarating performance, exclusivity, etc.) if some BMW M enthusiast that doesn't know much about the AMG brand (and is also thinking of trying an AMG car) sees a C300 with an AMG badge get dusted by a BMW 328i?

He'll probably think spending AMG-money doesn't get you much.

This is one of the reasons why AMG owners get upset when they see AMG badges on non-AMG cars. They paid for a certain brand not only for what the car actually does but what it stands for and having cars out there with AMG branding that lack AMG performance dilute the brand's message and importance.

This was quickly written and was a very broad overview of the significance of branding, etc. but I hope people kind of pick up on what I'm saying.

In sum, if everyone put AMG badges on their cars, what would be the point of putting one on/having one on anymore? What does the brand stand for at that point? You've either changed the meaning entirely by then or destroyed its character.
Mercedes does sell C300 with AMG sport package with the AMG badge on the trunk. BMW does the same with the M badge. This is not at all uncommon outside of the US.

US specs cars are only a fraction of what automakers sell around the world. US specs cars don't truly represent what the original German version of the vehicles look like and how they perform (i.e. the orange side markers and California emission standards). Judging how cars should be equipped in other countries based on the US standards is just pure ignorance.

In Asia, McDonalds sells fried chicken and beef rice; KFC sells congee and soybean milk; Starbucks has children play area in store. Car manufacturers, along with all companies are in business to make profits, so they adapt. It is just how it is.

Last edited by leapingpoint; 01-03-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Mercedes does sell C300 with AMG sport package with the AMG badge on the trunk. BMW does the same with the M badge. This is not at all uncommon outside of the US.
When I caught/noticed you saying things like this, I decided to speak up. Because that information is just patently false.

Here is a 2014 E-Class (E200) w/ AMG Sport package in Europe. Notice that despite having the AMG Sport Package, there are no AMG badges on the trunk of the car. Or anywhere, for that fact.

Nowhere in the world does BMW sell a "standard" model with an M badge on the back of the car. There are M Sport models and half-breeds such as the M235i, etc. but there are no cars labeled "328i . . . M."

Not only do they reserve the M trunk badges for proper M cars, they even use a special font for the M models as well (regarding the number itself).

Cars with M Sport packages may have the M logo on the wheels or on the front fenders, but as of 2014, all true M models have the M logo on the grill and the rear trunk lid whereas standard car models are forbidden from having the M logo in those two areas (from the factory).

As far as I know, the protocol is the same for AMG. No standard, non-Mercedes-Benz cars leave the factory with AMG branding on the trunk.

If you see one in the showroom like that, it is a used car in which case the owner placed it there, or if abroad (except Germany), perhaps the dealer could have installed it.

I'm not sure if it was a rumor or not but I heard that Mercedes-Benz dealers in the U.S. were susceptible to losing their franchise for putting an AMG badge on the trunk of a non-AMG car. Which would make sense and align with my brand dilution spiel.

Anyway, even as an AMG owner, I don't really have a dog in the fight.

It bugs me some that some people plop one on there. Only because there is no reason whatsoever to be ashamed of having a non-AMG Mercedes-Benz, one of the most prestigious and well-recognized luxury car brands in the world.

Last edited by zibby43; 01-04-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:30 AM

BMW 5er
kill this thread.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:54 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by E Classy
kill this thread.
it died several pages ago.........page 2 I think

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mod continues... what do you guys think?!