E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

New 2014 E350 4Matic Sport, Command system keeps freezing/resetting. Need advice!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic Sport
New 2014 E350 4Matic Sport, Command system keeps freezing/resetting. Need advice!

Hi Everyone,

Firstly, I would like to say thank you in advance for the help. It's been a long time since I've been on this forum and my first time in the E-Class forums. My name is Matt. I'm originally from Germany and I now live in Massachusetts with my family.

My family used to own a 2008 ML320 CDI and I used to have a 2008 C300 with the sport package.

My dad recently bought a new Mercedes - a 2014 E350 4Matic Sport with almost all the bells and whistles. Unfortunately even though we love the car it has not been a 100% smooth buying experience.

The command system began freezing randomly and then immediately restarting. Sometimes the system would do it once, and sometimes several times in a row. There doesn't appear to be a trigger since it occurs at random times based on my observation. I took the car to our local dealership where we bought the car to get it looked at.

The first time the car was given a software update and stayed in the shop a few days. We thought that would fix the problem but unfortunately it came back. I gave them permission to drive it a bit to make sure it's okay and to identify the problem and they did experience the problem.

The dealership kept the car once again and installed an entirely new command system (at a cost of $5,000 according to my service advisor) but the problem came back once again.

I brought the car in for a third time, and another software (apparently just new) update was performed. Even though they couldn't replicate the problem the car's computer indicated that there was another reset within 70 miles and we have that indicated on the service receipt along with the specific code for it.

It has now once again begun resetting as recently as today (twice at different times) and there are just over 5,000 miles on the car. We bought the car at the beginning of November. I have noted the mileage points at which the command reset.

Needless to say my father is pretty annoyed and he wants me to look into Massachusetts Lemon Laws because it has been more than three times and they haven't adequately fixed it. My father also said that there is apparently a law firm which deals with this stuff free of charge (presumably since they charge the manufacturer) but I'm not quite sure about their reliability. I have looked into all this to some extent but I wanted to get advice from people here before taking any action.

Our service advisor has provided great service and I'm happy with her, so I don't want to take some kind of drastic action and sour relations. Currently the car is scheduled to be brought in again on January 2nd.

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem before? I couldn't find anything in search but I haven't been here in so long so I'm not sure if I'm looking right.

Any opinions/advice on what I should do? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again in advance!

Last edited by MB300AMG; 12-20-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
Oh boy, that sucks! Makes my temperature sensor issue look like nothing. It sucks especially when the people involved are nice but they just can't fix it. Keep us posted how it works out!
Old 12-20-2013, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
MB is certainly very generous to allow dealers to do so stupid decision. I wish I had all wire diagrams as Greg has to point on right faulty module. But why we do dealer's job? MB should start paying attention to hire reasonably skilled people. Again luckily MB has so small percentage of problems so changing entire car equipment doesn't disturb much the maker's pocket.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 888 Likes on 638 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by MB300AMG
Hi Everyone,

Firstly, I would like to say thank you in advance for the help. It's been a long time since I've been on this forum and my first time in the E-Class forums. My name is Matt. I'm originally from Germany and I now live in Massachusetts with my family.

My family used to own a 2008 ML320 CDI and I used to have a 2008 C300 with the sport package.

My dad recently bought a new Mercedes - a 2014 E350 4Matic Sport with almost all the bells and whistles. Unfortunately even though we love the car it has not been a 100% smooth buying experience.

The command system began freezing randomly and then immediately restarting. Sometimes the system would do it once, and sometimes several times in a row. There doesn't appear to be a trigger since it occurs at random times based on my observation. I took the car to our local dealership where we bought the car to get it looked at.

The first time the car was given a software update and stayed in the shop a few days. We thought that would fix the problem but unfortunately it came back. I gave them permission to drive it a bit to make sure it's okay and to identify the problem and they did experience the problem.

The dealership kept the car once again and installed an entirely new command system (at a cost of $5,000 according to my service advisor) but the problem came back once again.

I brought the car in for a third time, and another software (apparently just new) update was performed. Even though they couldn't replicate the problem the car's computer indicated that there was another reset within 70 miles and we have that indicated on the service receipt along with the specific code for it.

It has now once again begun resetting as recently as today (twice at different times) and there are just over 5,000 miles on the car. We bought the car at the beginning of November. I have noted the mileage points at which the command reset.

Needless to say my father is pretty annoyed and he wants me to look into Massachusetts Lemon Laws because it has been more than three times and they haven't adequately fixed it. My father also said that there is apparently a law firm which deals with this stuff free of charge (presumably since they charge the manufacturer) but I'm not quite sure about their reliability. I have looked into all this to some extent but I wanted to get advice from people here before taking any action.

Our service advisor has provided great service and I'm happy with her, so I don't want to take some kind of drastic action and sour relations. Currently the car is scheduled to be brought in again on January 2nd.

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem before? I couldn't find anything in search but I haven't been here in so long so I'm not sure if I'm looking right.

Any opinions/advice on what I should do? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again in advance!

Sorry to hear about the problems with a brand new car.

I understand they have re-loaded the software, they have replaced the whole COMAND unit with a new one and they have re-loaded / updated the software in this one too. I also assume that the by the COMAND unit resetting you mean that it shuts off and starts up by itself.

Does not sound like there is anything wrong with the COMAND unit.

Do you know if any of these bright MB mechanics cared to check the fuse (or fuses) powering the COMAND unit? A fuse can be flaky and lose conductivity at times even though it may check out just fine when tested. A very easy troubleshooting step that you can do yourself is to replace the fuse(s) that power the COMAND unit.

If the fuse replacement does not help they would need to check the wire harness for bad connections or power lead from the fuse box or even replace the power wire as if my assumption is correct your COMAND unit loses power at random and then restarts itself, i.e. sounds like a bad power connection that is the same for the original and the new unit.

But do the fuse(s) first.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cl 550
command re setting

Hello i drive a 2008 cl 550 iam having the same problems the nav keep on re setting i shuts on and of often like every minute it really agravatting i disconeted the batt hoping that the system would re set it self i checked all fuse which there got to be at least 10 of them with no luck iam going for checking all connection next ive called a friend who works for mb he ask me to drop the car off so they can do a hard re set which he said it would take a few days its mostly with the nav even if i turn the nav off once it shuts of it comes back on
again a few time i park the car once i gotten back in the car the radio was on even with the car lock down its just crazy is there anybody out there with a fix
thanks
Robert
Old 12-21-2013, 10:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
There is a wiring problem...based on what you are telling us, it has nothing to do with the comand module itself and no programming change will fix it.

Intermittent wiring problems are very hard to find without testing every connection and perhaps there is a fault in the wiring harness itself which no one will ever find....unfortunately, you may be right in lemon lawing the car.

The dealer apparently has no idea what to do....and is unwilling to tackle finding a wiring problem...or perhaps just doesn't know how to tackle the problem. If you are mechanical, have someone sit in the car with comand on (doesn't need to have the engine running) and you start to wiggle wires especially near connector plugs...wiggle the fuse contacts and fuse box as much as possible...pull on wires under the dash (enough to just move them a bit)....and so on. If you are lucky, the unit will turn off and restart while you are doing this and if you can recreate it a second time, you now can demo it to the dealer and perhaps get it repaired. Don't forget to go into the engine compartment and the trunk areas and wiggle wires and connector plugs.

Last edited by ghstudio; 12-21-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Any opinions/advice on what I should do? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Bulletin LI82.85-P-053600 released for this problem recommending COMAND software update and instructing not to replace control unit. Since software update(s) and CU replacement failed, next step would be to check MOST ring – additional devices (i.e.: amplifier, SDAR, Media Interface, etc.) and their connections. Diagram shows MOST network (yellow) for pre-facelift, your vehicle should be the same.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Network.pdf (498.9 KB, 507 views)
Old 12-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by ucccontractors
2008 cl 550 iam having the same problems the nav keep on re setting i shuts on and of
Should be posting here https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-w216-80/

Depending on build date, vehicle may need Telematics update telltale would be if you do not have Birdseye view capability. If software seems to be current, MB friend should be able to definitively diagnose.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:46 PM

2010 Mercedes E350
E350 front end noise

I read several posts you did about front end noise on your E350. Did you ever get your problem solved? I'm having the same problem on my 2010.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:19 PM

cl 550
Thanks for the info really appreciated i will check it out just found out if i program the nav
to a destination the radio and stays on for about five minutes before it shuts of agai some times i get a screen that shows me last location for a while then it picks up current location its completly out of wack
Old 12-21-2013, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Question is why some systems work without software update and for some with update? An obvious conclusion is that software update is just more tolerant to certain hardware errors, so it means you have still a problem which new software will just mask from you.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:48 PM

Apologies for the late reply guys. I didn't have computer access for a while.

The car went in for service yesterday and this is the fourth time now. They called today and asked if it resets with the bluetooth connected though it does that with and without so I'm not sure what they're inspecting at the moment.

My dad spoke to a neighbor whose mother in law has the same car and she got it replaced after three repair attempts. Considering that this is the fourth my dad is now wanting them to replace the car though I'm not sure how well that will go over.

Do you guys think it's reasonable to start looking to get a replacement and looking into legal or administrative action to do that?
Old 01-03-2014, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by ghstudio
There is a wiring problem...based on what you are telling us, it has nothing to do with the comand module itself and no programming change will fix it.

The dealer apparently has no idea what to do....and is unwilling to tackle finding a wiring problem...or perhaps just doesn't know how to tackle the problem.
Thanks for the input. Based on the phone call today they're messing around with the bluetooth so I'm not sure if they're checking on the wiring or not. All I know is that if they don't fix it this time my dad is probably going to get a lawyer to get this car swapped out.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Arrie

Do you know if any of these bright MB mechanics cared to check the fuse (or fuses) powering the COMAND unit? A fuse can be flaky and lose conductivity at times even though it may check out just fine when tested. A very easy troubleshooting step that you can do yourself is to replace the fuse(s) that power the COMAND unit.

If the fuse replacement does not help they would need to check the wire harness for bad connections or power lead from the fuse box or even replace the power wire as if my assumption is correct your COMAND unit loses power at random and then restarts itself, i.e. sounds like a bad power connection that is the same for the original and the new unit.

But do the fuse(s) first.
Thanks for the reply! They are currently checking the car and I have made suggestions and given them input but I'm not sure if they're going as far as to check the wiring. Based on the call today asking about the bluetooth I don't think they're going to look extensively at the wiring or check the fuses since they're still focusing on software-based issues.

Do you think it's appropriate to look into getting the car replaced?
Old 01-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,040 Likes on 1,422 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
i'm sorry to hear your frustration -- read my signature links and you'll see I completely empathize with your father. have not (knock on wood) had a comand issue yet
Old 01-03-2014, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the reply! They are currently checking the car and I have made suggestions and given them input but I'm not sure if they're going as far as to check the wiring. Based on the call today asking about the bluetooth I don't think they're going to look extensively at the wiring or check the fuses since they're still focusing on software-based issues.

Do you think it's appropriate to look into getting the car replaced?
I think when the dealer service has no glue how and what to fix and the car is brand new and they have at it at the fourth time it is a good basis to go after lemon law or what ever way they would swap the car.

If it was mine I would not feel comfortable with it at this point any more. It is too expensive car to have this sort of issues and normally when it goes to something like this it likely is a wiring problem, i.e. almost unfixable issue or so expensive to fix they will build a whole new car cheaper than have some local dealer fix it. MB should swap it out.

And if they go changing big *** car wiring harnesses it is just another time bomb waiting to happen.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Having mb swap it out easy to say on this forum, I went through the process and it's not that easy. My humble recommendation to the op is to call Mbusa immediately and open a case with them.

They need to get the Germany engineers involved on this via the field service rep
Old 01-04-2014, 12:56 AM

2010 C300 & 2014 E350
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Having mb swap it out easy to say on this forum, I went through the process and it's not that easy. My humble recommendation to the op is to call Mbusa immediately and open a case with them.

They need to get the Germany engineers involved on this via the field service rep

+1 that sounds like a plan
Old 01-04-2014, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is a reason for my comment. I don't know if you reads the whole thread but in the first post the OP tells the story.
MB dealer service has already done the software several times, they have replaced the whole COMAND unit and nothing has changed. This means that the problem is far more serious than just a faulty component and in a car it almost certainly is faulty wiring.

Lemon laws are in place exactly for issues like this. It gives the car dealer / manufacturer fair chance to repair the car but in this case it seems the dealer / manufacturer has not been even able to identify what the problem is in three repair attempts now car being in service for this for the fourth time.

I would not accept repair at this point any more myself. I would ask them to swap the car out. Not to cancel the deal but get me a new car.
The car very obviously came faulty from the factory and the owner had nothing to do with it. Did not own the car long enough to affect it in any way.

Last edited by Arrie; 01-04-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Arrie --

hear me out -- I TRIED TO LEMON MY CAR and it FAILED -- and I had a persistent transmission issue -- it's not that easy, I promise you!

the OP needs to get MBUSA involved in order to fully exhaust his options, THEN he can do the lemon thing -- the lemon thing is no guarantee and can be costly to him and may take up to a year! I've lemoned my acura in the past and it took 7 months of arbitration and was NOT fun. Lemon law is horrible in Illinois where I live, and super easy (apparently) to win in California. every state is different. I'm not sure what it's like in Mass.

The OP's situation sucks, so did mine, and I still stand by my recommendation. I respect your opinion, Arrie, nonetheless and appreciate your posts on this forum.

His other option is to talk to the dealership's general manager and see if he'll transact a new replacement for his vehicle considering the issues going on. This is all up to the GM and he is NOT obligated to do anything but let the OP continue on this present course with further "investigation" into his car.

Last edited by PeterUbers; 01-05-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arrie --

hear me out -- I TRIED TO LEMON MY CAR and it FAILED -- and I had a persistent transmission issue -- it's not that easy, I promise you!

the OP needs to get MBUSA involved in order to fully exhaust his options, THEN he can do the lemon thing -- the lemon thing is no guarantee and can be costly to him and may take up to a year! I've lemoned my acura in the past and it took 7 months of arbitration and was NOT fun. Lemon law is horrible in Illinois where I live, and super easy (apparently) to win in California. every state is different. I'm not sure what it's like in Mass.

The OP's situation sucks, so did mine, and I still stand by my recommendation. I respect your opinion, Arrie, nonetheless and appreciate your posts on this forum.

His other option is to talk to the dealership's general manager and see if he'll transact a new replacement for his vehicle considering the issues going on. This is all up to the GM and he is NOT obligated to do anything but let the OP continue on this present course with further "investigation" into his car.

PeterUbers,
We may just have to disagree with this. Based on what the OP has already gone thru with the car it already should qualify to be lemoned. I'm not saying that the thing to do is to get a lawyer and jump on the dealer's face about it. I would start asking what options there are to get the car replaced by MB as it seems the problem is very serious since they obviously don't have a glue what is wrong.

I would also request to have a loaner car, which is the same with the same options and equipment as the car they try to repair and I would not like to be driving miles on it between the tries to fix it as with more miles it gets more difficult to have it swapped out.

At some point the madness of trying to fix the issue has to stop and I think this is why the lemon law gives the dealer the 3 chances to fix it. If they don't then the dealer may need to look into their own process of letting the unfixed car out too soon.

Electrical issues like this are very scary unless they find a clear reason for it, like broken wire or broken circuit board that clearly was the issue.
Lemon laws are in place for reason and the dealer knows this too. And the process can be costly but I also understand that the lawyer gets paid by the car company.

But, I would first exhaust the "friendly" options too but you get very good indication how friendly your dealer is if they deny to give a matching loaner...

Last edited by Arrie; 01-05-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:17 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
15 AMG S63 4-matic coupe
I had a very good acquaintance who was an electrical engineer.
As a part time business, he used to repair hifi components.
He described debugging flaky electrical issues like this.
Imagine your on a busy street corner in New York and your waiting to meet someone you've never seen before.
You have to slowly eliminate all of the people it isn't before you can find the one who it is.

First is understanding if the issue is design vs manufacturing.
If the problem is pervasive across the model, it's design related. you have a much better chance at getting this sorted out at the factory. If you have 600 customers flaming away, you get the top engineers grinding on the problem and pronto.
And then there is the one-off manufacturing bug. Some foreign body got stuck in the connector and keeps it from making a solid contact all of the time. This is largely going to be resolved by the dealer tech, maybe with some support from the factory with some guidance on what to look for.

My suspicion is a loose connector "somewhere".
I don't think I've ever seen a dealership have a shaker table so they have to rely on a road test to supply vibrations which does a pretty good job of eliminating the ability to monitor supply voltages. It also isn't repeatable.
This makes it much tougher to test any solutions.

Although, as I look back on his description., just because you replaced the unit, it doesn't mean the new one was any better than the old one.

For the record, I have found that the dealer they are working with has relatively good techs. ( I use the same dealer)
They also somehow put a light scratch down the side door of my S430. They made good on it and had it repainted without much issue.
So they do understand good customer relations and will try to make things right.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

After MBUSA resolved my transmission issue, i was given $1000 for the 26 days I was without my vehicle. I thought that was fair.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:31 PM

2010 C300 & 2014 E350
After MBUSA resolved my transmission issue, i was given $1000 for the 26 days I was without my vehicle. I thought that was fair.

Was it a check direct from MBUSA or credit towards MB products or services?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Merc E350 2014
Unhappy

I guess I am having the exact same problem, the COMAN system in my 2014 E350 turns off randomly and would not work until the car is turned off for couple of hours and turned back on. It happened to me two times already, this is the third time and the second time I took my car to the dealership.

Today I also took a picture of the car's display which was showing some random chinese symbols after it tuned off. Also my car did not start when I tried to start it later in the day, I had to get out of the car, get in and wait for few minutes before it would start.

I love this car so much but its been giving me random trouble like this.. I paid a fortune for this car, not sure what my options are here..

Now I am waiting for them to diagnose the issue and tell me..last time they just did a software update and it did not fix it apparantly..but it had no trouble for the last 6 months.
Attached Thumbnails New 2014 E350 4Matic Sport, Command system keeps freezing/resetting. Need advice!-photo.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (05-17-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 2014 E350 4Matic Sport, Command system keeps freezing/resetting. Need advice!