E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

New 2014 E350 4Matic Sport, Command system keeps freezing/resetting. Need advice!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
have you called MBUSA? Have you told them you want your money back or a 2014 brand new replacement? If not, then THOSE ARE YOUR OPTIONS

Also you can hire a lawyer, option #3
Old 04-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by 2006_C350
Was it a check direct from MBUSA or credit towards MB products or services?
Credit towards the 4 year prepaid service -- $1929 MSRP, got it for $900 (not a great deal, but better than paying retail for it)
Old 04-03-2014, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Merc E350 2014
But will they buy back the car due to a defect in the navigation system? and I am not sure what caused the car not to start as well..but it happened only once so far. The service rep. called yesterday and said they are talking to engineering about the issue... and there was no error logs in the car's computer system.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:09 AM
Out Of Control!!

rraghu --

You just ask for this outcome: "I want a new car or my money back"

And move forward, you're too worried about outcomes, you need to decide what you want and enter the journey -- read my signature link and look at what I had to do .. do you have the energy to embark on this journey -- I'll tell you what they'll give you if you don't ask for it -- zero, nada, nothing.

Good luck
Old 04-04-2014, 11:50 AM

Merc E350 2014
Thanks for the advise. Can you brief be on how you contacted MB HQ or MBUSA? Can you share phone number/s?

Thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C250
Command System Failure

Hi Everyone,
I suppose its nice to know that I am not the only one with the problem.
My Command System was replaced when the car was only a few months old as it could not remember a radio station, something I was told was absolutely unheard of hence I had to wait a week to get the part in from Germany.
Now the system freezes and restarts quite often, the navigation system freezes before any input can be made so the only thing that sometimes works is the radio but never for long as the system will turn off and restart every few minutes.
Has anyone had the same problem and managed to get it fixed?
Thanks in anticipation.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
wow...is this some new bug...?
Old 09-07-2014, 05:49 AM

Received 107 Likes on 65 Posts
2022 s 500 swb
I've had this happen to me 3 times since I've had my car. Was told that if I had burned CDs in the unit it was thought to be the cause for the command to shut down if the command detected some problem with the cd. Does the op have burned CDs in his unit..I still listen to the CDs and it hasn't happened for a few months but that was what the dealer told me
Old 09-24-2014, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C250
My problem has been fixed .. and under warranty even though car is 4 months out of warranty .. they tell me it was the battery in the rear SAM .. whatever that is.
It was described as a computer unit that apparently has its own battery, probably like the little ones in your key (which are also inside computers so they remember setup basics)
The software was also updated and now the car can read txt messages from my phone which it mysteriously forgot how to do months ago.
Its all great when the computers work and there must be a few.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 430 Posts
W212 FL
Good for you , I didn't know you could read the text messages without a module or change your phone to a newer version to view that
Old 10-18-2015, 10:03 PM

2011 e350
I think I know what causes the problem but I don't know the solution. For me the COMAND works fine if I don't have a phone connected via bluetooth to it. The freeing and reset happens when I connect my phone via bluetooth. I have a samsung s5 and an iPhone and have this issue with both phones. It's almost like the unit can't handle the Bluetooth connection. Mine cuts out almost every minute.

I've heard doing a firmware update fixes the problem. Can anyone confirm. MB wants to charge me $150 to do the update, so I'd like to know the success rate before dropping $150 for no reason and not having my car all day.

Last edited by Gdub14; 10-20-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:24 PM

2011 e350
SOLUTION:
SOLUTION:
SOLUTION:

I have found a solution to the freezing and restarting issue. At least it worked for me.

The solution is not a full fix as you will not have the messaging (texting) functions.

When setting up or pairing your Android for the first time, after you verify the codes are the same on the COMAND and your phone, you are asked 2 more questions.

The first is to allow the contacts and phone logs
Click do not ask me again and allow

The second, and this is the solution, is it asks to allow you messages.
Click do not ask me again
BUT DO NOT CLICK ALLOW. CLICK CANCEL.

I have yet to have my COMAND freeze or restart since doing this.

Must have something to do with the unit trying to communicate and bring in any messages every so often but it just doesn't work so it freezes up.

Anyway, I hope this helps!!!

If it works for you, please reply so others know.

Cheers!!
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (05-17-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 03:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500 4Matic w211
2012 E350 Comand Unit Freezing and Turning Off

Originally Posted by MB300AMG
Hi Everyone,

Firstly, I would like to say thank you in advance for the help. It's been a long time since I've been on this forum and my first time in the E-Class forums. My name is Matt. I'm originally from Germany and I now live in Massachusetts with my family.

My family used to own a 2008 ML320 CDI and I used to have a 2008 C300 with the sport package.

My dad recently bought a new Mercedes - a 2014 E350 4Matic Sport with almost all the bells and whistles. Unfortunately even though we love the car it has not been a 100% smooth buying experience.

The command system began freezing randomly and then immediately restarting. Sometimes the system would do it once, and sometimes several times in a row. There doesn't appear to be a trigger since it occurs at random times based on my observation. I took the car to our local dealership where we bought the car to get it looked at.

The first time the car was given a software update and stayed in the shop a few days. We thought that would fix the problem but unfortunately it came back. I gave them permission to drive it a bit to make sure it's okay and to identify the problem and they did experience the problem.

The dealership kept the car once again and installed an entirely new command system (at a cost of $5,000 according to my service advisor) but the problem came back once again.

I brought the car in for a third time, and another software (apparently just new) update was performed. Even though they couldn't replicate the problem the car's computer indicated that there was another reset within 70 miles and we have that indicated on the service receipt along with the specific code for it.

It has now once again begun resetting as recently as today (twice at different times) and there are just over 5,000 miles on the car. We bought the car at the beginning of November. I have noted the mileage points at which the command reset.

Needless to say my father is pretty annoyed and he wants me to look into Massachusetts Lemon Laws because it has been more than three times and they haven't adequately fixed it. My father also said that there is apparently a law firm which deals with this stuff free of charge (presumably since they charge the manufacturer) but I'm not quite sure about their reliability. I have looked into all this to some extent but I wanted to get advice from people here before taking any action.

Our service advisor has provided great service and I'm happy with her, so I don't want to take some kind of drastic action and sour relations. Currently the car is scheduled to be brought in again on January 2nd.

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem before? I couldn't find anything in search but I haven't been here in so long so I'm not sure if I'm looking right.

Any opinions/advice on what I should do? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again in advance!
May 16, 2021 I have a 2012 E350 4Matic, issue with my Comand Unit Just kept turning off and restarting every minutes and freezing up not able to push on any buttons. This just happen a week ago, without any warning just kept restarting and freezing on the unit. So I finally managed to "Resolved" the issue which actually was simply! Before I begin I will indicated I removed the fuses from the engine bay and as well in the trunk waited 15 minutes and still DID NOT do anything, but still the same issue. Which I read online from someone having the same problem and was hoping it would reset the unit but did not. I even searched online getting ready to replace the Comand Unit, as well but fortunately resolved the issue before having to spend on a used one. So the problem was I had a Burn CD Disc in the unit and once the unit restarted I immediately push Eject before the unit freeze and unbale to click on any buttons. The CD came out and the screen was frozen displayed CD Being Ejected. Within a few minutes, did not do anything the Unit just worked normal and my vehicle was started incase you are wondering. Before I resolved the problem, I called the dealer thinking I needed an update, they indicated I had to leave the vehicle and would take 3-4 hours depending on the update needed to be done. The update would cost ($100) and plus hours worked on. But fortunate I resolved the issue and did not cost a penny! So if anyone is out there and having this same problems I hope this will help out! I searched so many days online and couldn't find an answered or solution. The strange part is I had the Burn CD for over 6 months in the Unit and have used several times listing, but basically I used the USB more MP3. But it finally just cause the problem "Burn CD Disc', for the Comand Unit to fail. Again I certainly hope this will help someone out if you so happen have a Burn CD Disc in your Unit. So before going through the Fuse Check, pulling our the Unit, just check the CD! Best Of Luck.

Last edited by Tamseng6864; 05-16-2021 at 03:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,058 Likes on 2,032 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
summary

Having a MY'14, I am game to COMAND troubles. Here's this thread summary about known solutions to "unstable COMAND keeps restarting":

- Figure out if you have BT pairing issue with address book access.

- Eject any of your home-made CDs
- COMAND unit may benefit from a firmware update.

Overall this seems like a software limitation that crashes the COMAND module.
Learn where the limits are then you should be golden 🤞