E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Anyone else disgusted with COMAND Navigation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E250 BlueTec
Try toggling the time of arrival, time to drive to destination, distance to destination while you are driving. Let me know how that works out for you.

Oh, I see...If I input my destination BEFORE I commence driving, things will be OK. That is fine, but sometimes I need to input my latest, spontaneous destination WHILE I drive. Sometimes while I am driving on my way home, I decide to go to Safeway or Publix or Costco and I would like to find where they are without pulling over. I would like the system to help me do that, and give me a choice whether that is my new destination or do I want to include that as a stop over.

I noticed you have very little to say about the time the servers take to respond to requests in MB Apps. Have you used them?
Try using Internet radio. If you don't end up pulling your hair, you must have more patience than I do.

Or, do you also program the stations you want to listen to at the beginning of your trip before you start driving.

Look, I appreciate you being such a fanboy for MB, but may I remind you I am not critisizing the brand or the entire car. I am only unhappy with what passes for a NAV/COMAND system in an what is otherwise a wonderful car.

Can we agree to disagree?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w212
The latest firmware is required to get cross streets information. The software still doesn't do a good enough job of showing the street names from Bird's eye view. It could be a lot better. I'm probably just spoiled from using Google maps but my point was that Google maps or something better than the current comand needed to be baked in sooner.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 838 Likes on 607 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by AErcen
Try toggling the time of arrival, time to drive to destination, distance to destination while you are driving. Let me know how that works out for you.

Oh, I see...If I input my destination BEFORE I commence driving, things will be OK. That is fine, but sometimes I need to input my latest, spontaneous destination WHILE I drive. Sometimes while I am driving on my way home, I decide to go to Safeway or Publix or Costco and I would like to find where they are without pulling over. I would like the system to help me do that, and give me a choice whether that is my new destination or do I want to include that as a stop over.

I noticed you have very little to say about the time the servers take to respond to requests in MB Apps. Have you used them?
Try using Internet radio. If you don't end up pulling your hair, you must have more patience than I do.

Or, do you also program the stations you want to listen to at the beginning of your trip before you start driving.

Look, I appreciate you being such a fanboy for MB, but may I remind you I am not critisizing the brand or the entire car. I am only unhappy with what passes for a NAV/COMAND system in an what is otherwise a wonderful car.

Can we agree to disagree?

"Try toggling the time of arrival, time to drive to destination, distance to destination while you are driving. Let me know how that works out for you."

I can see all of the above information in my Comand navigation system in my car. If you cannot, then either your system is not working correctly or you just don't know how to pull up the info.

"Sometimes while I am driving on my way home, I decide to go to Safeway or Publix or Costco and I would like to find where they are without pulling over. I would like the system to help me do that, and give me a choice whether that is my new destination or do I want to include that as a stop over."

I do this all the time. The lack of data in the system may mean that a POI is not available but a quick call to TeleAid in my car takes care of that. If it is included in the navigation data it could not be any easier to find while driving using the car's system.

"I noticed you have very little to say about the time the servers take to respond to requests in MB Apps. Have you used them?"

I have a 2010 model car. It does not have MB apps or is not capable doing them and why would I need these apps anyway? While I drive I don't do any app stuff and while I'm not driving I use my phone for any apps I need.

"Try using Internet radio. If you don't end up pulling your hair, you must have more patience than I do."

What is your problem with the Internet Radio? You can't find stations? There is no need to pre-program anything in it but I do set my favorite channels on all radio options.

Do you really know how to use the Internet Radio at all? It has very good ways to filter what you want to search channels for or just display all of them to scroll thru.

You might just need to spend some time with the manual and learn how it works. Of all the cars that I have driven with the Internet Radio the MB version is the best. You just need to understand how to use it, which is not that hard.

"Can we agree to disagree?"

No.

Last edited by Arrie; 01-14-2014 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:19 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by cupertino
Just curious, what is the latest Map version on the 2014 command ?
It says "Map Data 2013/2014 V10.0" on my October, 2013 build.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic
If you use the Drive Kit Plus, I think it allows you to run Google Maps on your COMAND screen (from your iPhone). Anyone use that? The problem is that it's $500 for the kit and probably the same amount for installation. I guess I just never expect to have car nav's be as good as phone navs.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by yalej
If you use the Drive Kit Plus, I think it allows you to run Google Maps on your COMAND screen (from your iPhone). Anyone use that? The problem is that it's $500 for the kit and probably the same amount for installation. I guess I just never expect to have car nav's be as good as phone navs.
Biggest problem with it that it's for an iPhone. I prefer the Android ecosystem.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red 2001 SLK230, Black 2011 E350
Originally Posted by BackRoad
You folks have me wondering what version Nav im running. When was the last Nav update and how can you check what version you have?
Don't know on other models but for 2011, select Nav ---> Mode ---> Version for Nav version.