E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

cup holder cover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
cup holder cover

Did any of the e350's, mine is 2011, come with a cover that only covers the cigarette lighter area and not the cup holders. My cover only covers the lighter area and when i tried to make it come out further it seemed to disconnect. I was able to reconnect it but of the pics I have seen all seem to cover the whole cup holder.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
It should come out further, I've heard of issues with them sticking and not coming out all the way.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 C300 AMG Line Sports Coupe
My 2011 e350 covers both lighter and cup holders.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 843 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by squareman
Did any of the e350's, mine is 2011, come with a cover that only covers the cigarette lighter area and not the cup holders. My cover only covers the lighter area and when i tried to make it come out further it seemed to disconnect. I was able to reconnect it but of the pics I have seen all seem to cover the whole cup holder.
It should cover everything with a nice smooth surface when all the way closed.

The cover is made of two pieces and they somehow "stack" when cover is pushed all the way open to expose the cigarette lighter area.
What do you mean it somehow "disconnected"?
Old 01-04-2014, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Should come all the way out. I almost never open mine and I have noticed that when I do, the cover sometimes stops after covering just the ashtray. I push it in a little and it comes back out.
I think they may get "stuck" because they just are opened and closed often enough.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by El Cid
Should come all the way out. I almost never open mine and I have noticed that when I do, the cover sometimes stops after covering just the ashtray. I push it in a little and it comes back out.
I think they may get "stuck" because they just are opened and closed often enough.
The cover has three positions. One is full closed when it cover everything, second is half way open when it exposes only the cup holders and the third is full open exposing also the cigarette lighter area.

If you want to only half open you push it open past the half way and let it come to stop at the half way point. To close it from there you again push it past the half way point and let it close all the way.

It works the same for the full open position and when let freely close from there it will not stop at the half way point. It should close all the way.

The problem that the TSB addresses is that the cover does not quite close all the way. I have this problem especially when I leave it open for long time without using the cover function. The TSB gives instructions how to tighten the spring that closes the cover.

The OP's problems sounds like is that the cover does not even try to close from the half way point.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:52 PM

E350
Originally Posted by Arrie
The cover has three positions. One is full closed when it cover everything, second is half way open when it exposes only the cup holders and the third is full open exposing also the cigarette lighter area.

If you want to only half open you push it open past the half way and let it come to stop at the half way point. To close it from there you again push it past the half way point and let it close all the way.

It works the same for the full open position and when let freely close from there it will not stop at the half way point. It should close all the way.

The problem that the TSB addresses is that the cover does not quite close all the way. I have this problem especially when I leave it open for long time without using the cover function. The TSB gives instructions how to tighten the spring that closes the cover.

The OP's problems sounds like is that the cover does not even try to close from the half way point.

This is correct, it seems as if there is not even a lid to cover the cup holder. It does not seem to bother my wife, but i am trying to figure out if a piece is missing or if it just is not closing all the way. Thank you for all the replies, as it seems clear that it is supposed to cover everything. going to dealer tomorrow to check on a couple other things so i will as about this also
Old 01-04-2014, 05:54 PM

E350
It should cover everything with a nice smooth surface when all the way closed.

The cover is made of two pieces and they somehow "stack" when cover is pushed all the way open to expose the cigarette lighter area.
What do you mean it somehow "disconnected"?
I apologize I described something that my wife actually did, so i cannot elaborate on what SHE actually meant by disconnected, but she says she was working on it and she had to put it back. I was just trying to describe issue.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I apologize I described something that my wife actually did, so i cannot elaborate on what SHE actually meant by disconnected, but she says she was working on it and she had to put it back. I was just trying to describe issue.
She pulled it back trying to close it and that is when it separated?

If she did then she broke it if the cover disconnected. She should have pushed it to closed direction to release the stop and let the spring close it...

Bad wife...
Old 01-04-2014, 06:04 PM

E350
She pulled it back trying to close it and that is when it separated?

If she did then she broke it if the cover disconnected. She should have pushed it to closed direction to release the stop and let the spring close it...

Bad wife...

Yea but try telling your wife not to mess with things in her car. I would assume this is a replacable part so i will probably just get the dealership to put a new lid on it.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yea but try telling your wife not to mess with things in her car. I would assume this is a replacable part so i will probably just get the dealership to put a new lid on it.
Just ask them to look at it. They might just fix it under warranty...
Old 01-07-2014, 11:00 PM

Red 2001 SLK230, Black 2011 E350
$85 for the part at dealer. Don't know how much they charge to install it.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:34 PM

2011 E350 sedan
same problem only different

I usually leave mine open as I use a radar detector. However yesterday I tried to open it. Maybe to hard as only half of cover came out. My local shop could not even see the other piece. (I guess because it is stacked) nothing seems to be broken. It seems that it just became detached. Too much to fix, as I always leave it open any how. I have not seen anyone with any idea to fix other than take to dealer? I know this does not help but I have same problem.