E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2013 e 350 surging problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 e 350 Luxury 4matic sedan
2013 e 350 surging problem

Took Delivery Jan of 2013 and drove approx 800 miles before embarking on a 4000 mile trip three weeks later. My first experience of the surging problem occurred while maneuvering through Atlanta's rush hour traffic and experiencing the engine not responding to the pressure on the gas peddle as I was slowly (5 or so MPH) rolling and wanted to accelerate to change lanes. I would depress the peddle that would normally the proper boost in speed and no response. I quickly depress the pedal further, again no response. I quickly depress slightly more and the car leaps out. I soon realized I could hit another car due to the ever changing traffic flow and my car not responding to gas peddle pressure. This surging also has occurred upon getting in the car after it was parked for a while and backing up, stopping, placing gear to drive and peddle pressure causing no forward process, a little more, nothing, then a little more and it jumps out. Here is where the frustration lies, this only happens occasionally. I sometimes don't notice this problem for two to three weeks and then it will act up. The delivering dealer has been sympathetic. They have checked for error codes with no success. They have reset the adaptive transmission's memory twice. They have test driven the the car the reasonable amount of time they could do so. As is usually the case in these situations, the car never acts up for them. Since they can't experience the problem themselves they aren't able to diagnose it and resolve it. I do understand they need to experience it personally to proceed with a repair. I currently have over 18K on the car and other than this problem I love the car. Any insight that can be offered will be very much appreciated.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
May be better to drive in sport mode during rush hour traffic, a more linear and predictable throttle response
Old 01-12-2014, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 837 Likes on 606 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by jasdbrennan
Took Delivery Jan of 2013 and drove approx 800 miles before embarking on a 4000 mile trip three weeks later. My first experience of the surging problem occurred while maneuvering through Atlanta's rush hour traffic and experiencing the engine not responding to the pressure on the gas peddle as I was slowly (5 or so MPH) rolling and wanted to accelerate to change lanes. I would depress the peddle that would normally the proper boost in speed and no response. I quickly depress the pedal further, again no response. I quickly depress slightly more and the car leaps out. I soon realized I could hit another car due to the ever changing traffic flow and my car not responding to gas peddle pressure. This surging also has occurred upon getting in the car after it was parked for a while and backing up, stopping, placing gear to drive and peddle pressure causing no forward process, a little more, nothing, then a little more and it jumps out. Here is where the frustration lies, this only happens occasionally. I sometimes don't notice this problem for two to three weeks and then it will act up. The delivering dealer has been sympathetic. They have checked for error codes with no success. They have reset the adaptive transmission's memory twice. They have test driven the the car the reasonable amount of time they could do so. As is usually the case in these situations, the car never acts up for them. Since they can't experience the problem themselves they aren't able to diagnose it and resolve it. I do understand they need to experience it personally to proceed with a repair. I currently have over 18K on the car and other than this problem I love the car. Any insight that can be offered will be very much appreciated.
I'm very surprised to hear a 2013 model still has this problem. I had a 2011 and currently have a 2010 model and they both have (had) the issue but I thought MB fixed it...
Old 01-13-2014, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350 BlueTec, 2011 VW Jetta TDI
My 2013 E350BT doesn't have this issue. Perhaps because it's a Diesel with 400 Lb-Ft torque?
I mainly leave it on E and get instant response when I punch it even in stop/go traffic.

Perhaps you can ask your dealer if they can do a software update?
Old 01-14-2014, 07:04 PM

I have tried that with no success. Thanks
Old 01-14-2014, 07:07 PM

Arrie, did either your 2010 or 2011 have the problem resolved? If so, do you know what was done to eliminate the surging? Thanks.