E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

3M Crystalline tint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 P1 sport package with panoroof
3M Crystalline tint

Hi, is there anyone has installed 3M crystalline? Is it worth $1400, including front windshield, and panoroof?
Thanks for advice...
Old 01-15-2014, 08:33 PM

11 E550 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by justana
Hi, is there anyone has installed 3M crystalline? Is it worth $1400, including front windshield, and panoroof?
Thanks for advice...
3M Crystalline is great!! Have it installed on my E550 Cabrio (CR70 & CR50) and wife's MINI Clubman S (CR70 & CR40). Does a great job in filtering UV rays and keeps car considerably cooler if sitting in the sun. Have on windshield and all windows. Only drawback on windshield film is you really can't put stickers on be it registration, inspection or other cause when you try to pull it off you'll in some way mess up that area the film.

Don't know where you got $1400 as a quote but seems high even if your putting film on your panoroof. I had both cars done for less than that price.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:31 AM

2011 E350 P1 sport package with panoroof
I got quoted 30% less on December last year but it's been increase starting January. May i know when you installed yours? Unfortunately, we don't have too many places who would install front windshield in san diego. It's illegal here. Also, i'd rather installing at authorized dealer 3M on my area.
I wish if I could get cheaper one.... It costs me $300 for crystalline on my pano, but only $100 for other brand...
Old 01-16-2014, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
I compared the 3M vs Formulaone vs Huper Optic and really couldn't justify the expense of the 3M vs the marginal increase in heat rejection it provides.

Formula One pinnacle was the lowest cost of the 3. I had my E350 wagon done including windshield and sun roof for $410. Huper Optic (which I've used on several previous vehicles) was about another $200 more and provides maybe 10% more heat rejection than the Formula One. 3M was going to cost more than double the price of formula one and provides about 15% more heat rejection.

All 3 films provide 99.9+% UV A/B rejection. Formula one already provides around 50% heat rejection. For me, the additional 15% provided by 3M didn't justify more than doubling the cost.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:15 PM

11 E550 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by justana
I got quoted 30% less on December last year but it's been increase starting January. May i know when you installed yours? Unfortunately, we don't have too many places who would install front windshield in san diego. It's illegal here. Also, i'd rather installing at authorized dealer 3M on my area.
I wish if I could get cheaper one.... It costs me $300 for crystalline on my pano, but only $100 for other brand...
Had mine done near my winter home in FL. Company I used was Tint America. Not sure if they have locations in CA. Cost me about $225ea for CR70 on front windshields. Like the 3M as they guarantee no fading or color change to their film as long as you own your car. Since I typically keep my cars for 8 - 10yrs it made sense to go with 3M.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:31 PM

Mercedes
I paid $640 for sides and rear in my S63 for CR50. Even that was a bit on the high side. Authorized Dealer. Not sure why you want to tint the sunroof but either way, it sounds like your quote is a bit high for So cal. $800 +/- would be fair for all around minus roof. Definitely wouldn't pay any more than that.

3m Crystalline really is the best stuff out there.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:34 PM

Received 170 Likes on 112 Posts
2015 E250 Bluetec
I've had my four side windows tinted with 3M Crystalline 40. I find it to be extremely problematic. I commute North in the morning and South in the evening, so the sun is always orthogonal to my passenger window. When direct sunlight hits the windows they turn very milky/hazy. It looks like there is a layer of fine white dust between the layers, but only in direct sunlight.

The installer says that it is a side effect of the heat rejection capability. If I'd known of this possibility I would have chosen a different film. Thinking that unless it is an installation defect that I'm going to need to have it removed and choose a different product...
Old 09-01-2020, 06:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by ccww
I've had my four side windows tinted with 3M Crystalline 40. I find it to be extremely problematic. I commute North in the morning and South in the evening, so the sun is always orthogonal to my passenger window. When direct sunlight hits the windows they turn very milky/hazy. It looks like there is a layer of fine white dust between the layers, but only in direct sunlight.

The installer says that it is a side effect of the heat rejection capability. If I'd known of this possibility I would have chosen a different film. Thinking that unless it is an installation defect that I'm going to need to have it removed and choose a different product...
You must be pissed to dig up a thread that's almost 7 years old.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I did have this tint to start with (before re-tinting due to it not being dark enough). I did not have the issue you describe so I think you've got an installation defect.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 514 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Cool

Originally Posted by ccww

Side effect of wearing polarized sunglasses Cool
Old 09-01-2020, 09:23 AM

2015 E250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
You must be pissed to dig up a thread that's almost 7 years old.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I did have this tint to start with (before re-tinting due to it not being dark enough). I did not have the issue you describe so I think you've got an installation defect.
I was trying to find the most relevant thread, but I suppose I did necromance this one

It’s too bad that there isn’t a central MBWorld tint thread and instead just lots of discussions in model sub forums.

Thanks for letting me know. I’m going to push the issue with the installer today and try to get there early enough to show him the effect in the morning sun.

What I’m most pissed about is that I had the tint applied to the uninstalled windows and it’s far enough below the belt line that to have it removed and redone I’ll need to remove all the windows, put the old ones back in, and the put the new ones back in when they’re done
Old 09-01-2020, 09:24 AM

2015 E250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by ygmn
Side effect of wearing polarized sunglasses Cool
No sunglasses for me.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
I wear polarized sunglasses and had no issue during the few months my car had this tint. I also have no issue with the current Llumar pinnacle tint and my glasses.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:01 PM

2015 E250 Bluetec
Visited the installer today and he sees the haze but says that it is normal and a result of the multilayer construction. Seems incongruous with 3M's claim of "Ultimate Comfort and Clarity." He did say that he'd contact 3M to see what they have to say but didn't seem too keen on replacing it with something else.

I'm going to research different high-performance films from other brands. Huper Optik Drei is particularly interesting to me since it uses metallization, like an S-Class, rather than multilayer or ceramic. Theoretically it should be much better in terms of optical clarity.