Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W212)
Wow, cheapest lack of feature... >

Wow, cheapest lack of feature...

Notices
E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Wow, cheapest lack of feature...

 
Old 01-22-2014, 12:00 AM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
GregTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 658
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
Wow, cheapest lack of feature...

I can't believe that MB does not give you auto dimming mirror on the passenger side. It is the weirdest and cheapest thing. It trumps the lack of folding mirrors in my book by a long shot.

At first I thought my auto dimming was broken but after reading the manual it clearly states that auto dimming is only on the driver side and the inside mirror. Wow....just wow...
GregTR is offline  
Old 01-22-2014, 12:12 AM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Arrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,872
Received 85 Likes on 75 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by GregTR View Post
I can't believe that MB does not give you auto dimming mirror on the passenger side. It is the weirdest and cheapest thing. It trumps the lack of folding mirrors in my book by a long shot.

At first I thought my auto dimming was broken but after reading the manual it clearly states that auto dimming is only on the driver side and the inside mirror. Wow....just wow...
Why is this so big deal for you?

I had an Audi Q7 and it also had the auto dimming mirror only on the driver side.

Reason for not having it on the passenger side is that the mirror is a convex, which reflects far less light to the driver's eyes than the flat glass driver side mirror. The passenger side mirror in dark has never bothered me with the lights of the car behind me. Your eyes might be more sensitive though...
Arrie is offline  
Old 01-22-2014, 12:35 AM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
DerekACS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,146
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by GregTR View Post
I can't believe that MB does not give you auto dimming mirror on the passenger side. It is the weirdest and cheapest thing.
.
Yes, same situation for Canadian E Class.

But at least we get the power folding and heated side mirrors (with puddle lights) as standard equipment !! I do not understand why the US market is denied this feature - it makes no sense to me.

Last edited by DerekACS; 01-22-2014 at 12:37 AM.
DerekACS is offline  
Old 01-22-2014, 12:44 AM
  #4  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
GregTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 658
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by Arrie View Post
Why is this so big deal for you?

I had an Audi Q7 and it also had the auto dimming mirror only on the driver side.

Reason for not having it on the passenger side is that the mirror is a convex, which reflects far less light to the driver's eyes than the flat glass driver side mirror. The passenger side mirror in dark has never bothered me with the lights of the car behind me. Your eyes might be more sensitive though...
Actually your argument makes sense on some level but the actual reason is simply financial. My wife's Audi A4 Avant has dimming mirrors on both sides and so did my BMW 328xi. Obviously the reason I brought it up is because I noticed the lack of dimming on the mirror. It's not as much as glaring it's just simply annoying that the two side mirrors show a vastly different brightness.

But after having looked at the parts catalog I can understand why the reason.

Regular mirror - 69 Euro
Mirror with Auto dimming - 256 Euro

If MBUSA can shave off $200 per unit for omitting something so miniscule they will definitely do it. I'm quite honestly shocked at how much the auto dimming actually costs, I did not expect the difference to be this high.
GregTR is offline  
Old 01-22-2014, 01:58 AM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
nycphotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,185
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
in 30 years of driving I can honestly say i've never been bothered by the passenger mirror at night.

two reasons, 1) as pointed out above, it's convex, so it disperses light as a side benefit. and 2) it's wayyy the, um, heck, over there, where the light source is far away from me.

dim the rear view, check. that was obvious.
dim the driver side, check. that was less obvious to some people, but obvious to me. but dim the side view? why? ok... I can see doing it in an S class. Luxury is after all about the small things ;-) But really it's an elegant touch more than any need. at least to me.
nycphotography is offline  
Old 01-22-2014, 02:16 AM
  #6  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 674
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 w221
can the auto dim be retrofitted into the other side ?
T.H.Carrera is offline  
Old 01-22-2014, 06:25 AM
  #7  
Super Member
 
Munich77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Washington DC area
Posts: 800
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2008 E350 4matic
I am amazed by the cheapness too - my wife's 2008 E350 also does not have a passenger side auto-dimming mirror.
Munich77 is offline  
Old 01-22-2014, 07:42 AM
  #8  
Super Member
 
sleewell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Haslett, Mi
Posts: 736
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4matic
this does not bother me at all
sleewell is offline  
Old 01-22-2014, 10:22 AM
  #9  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
GregTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 658
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by nycphotography View Post
but dim the side view? why? ok... I can see doing it in an S class. Luxury is after all about the small things ;-)
Even my VW Passat with auto dimming mirrors was dimming both sides. The only car that I have owned and did not dim the passenger side is the E-class. The MB engineers are either way smarter than the BMW and VAG engineers and decided that it's unnecessary for the passenger mirror to be dimmed or the bean counters were smarter than the rest of the world and said "Heck, nobody will notice!". I vote the former.

FWIW I just checked and it's not only the NA market that does not get the dimming mirror on the passenger side, nobody does.

Originally Posted by T.H.Carrera View Post
can the auto dim be retrofitted into the other side ?
Only if you buy the UK driver side mirror, the door control unit should run it fine as the wiring diagram calls for it.
GregTR is offline  
Old 01-22-2014, 10:40 AM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
YYZ-E55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,034
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by GregTR View Post
Only if you buy the UK driver side mirror, the door control unit should run it fine as the wiring diagram calls for it.
Except that you would lose the convex...
YYZ-E55 is offline  
Old 01-22-2014, 10:45 AM
  #11  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
GregTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 658
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55 View Post
Except that you would lose the convex...
Indeed. It's only in NA that you get the convex passenger mirror thanks to a DOT requirement. While you'd lose the convex you'd get a nice split view wide angle instead...
GregTR is offline  
Old 01-22-2014, 12:01 PM
  #12  
Super Member
 
dfordham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 561
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350, 2012 SL550
I think the cheapest cost reduction is the plastic door pins. This has been talked about a lot pre-facelift, and I was so disappointed to find the plastic was carried over in the facelift. They made wonderful changes to make the dash look more elegant but kept the plastic door pins.

Regards,
Don
dfordham is offline  
Old 01-22-2014, 02:17 PM
  #13  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 674
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 w221
Greg can you try this mod? if successful I might do it!
T.H.Carrera is offline  
Old 01-22-2014, 02:19 PM
  #14  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
GregTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 658
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by T.H.Carrera View Post
Greg can you try this mod? if successful I might do it!
At $350 I'm going to pass...
GregTR is offline  
Old 01-22-2014, 02:20 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 325
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by dfordham View Post
I think the cheapest cost reduction is the plastic door pins. This has been talked about a lot pre-facelift, and I was so disappointed to find the plastic was carried over in the facelift. They made wonderful changes to make the dash look more elegant but kept the plastic door pins.

Regards,
Don
+1
stale-bread is offline  
Old 01-22-2014, 03:07 PM
  #16  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth (Mostly)
Posts: 561
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350
+1 on the cheap plastic door pins ... any knowledge on if it is a wierd tradition or design like the ponton fenders were pre-FL?

I just replaced the front ones with inexpensive knockoffs (* CF Door pins - https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-doorpins.html) and left the rear pins along ... too hard to swap and I NEVER ride in the back anyway.
samkimg is offline  
Old 01-22-2014, 07:29 PM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Arrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,872
Received 85 Likes on 75 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by GregTR View Post
Indeed. It's only in NA that you get the convex passenger mirror thanks to a DOT requirement. While you'd lose the convex you'd get a nice split view wide angle instead...
Yeah, you are right because like in Europe BOTH outside mirrors are convex.
Arrie is offline  
Old 01-22-2014, 08:51 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 476
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 5er
cheapest lack of feature was not checking build quality for rattles and chassis thuds. the best or nissan/renault, depending on which joe blow installed your dash that day down at the plant.
E Classy is offline  
Old 01-23-2014, 10:24 AM
  #19  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 216
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4Matic 2011
Originally Posted by GregTR View Post
Actually your argument makes sense on some level but the actual reason is simply financial. My wife's Audi A4 Avant has dimming mirrors on both sides and so did my BMW 328xi. Obviously the reason I brought it up is because I noticed the lack of dimming on the mirror. It's not as much as glaring it's just simply annoying that the two side mirrors show a vastly different brightness.

But after having looked at the parts catalog I can understand why the reason.

Regular mirror - 69 Euro
Mirror with Auto dimming - 256 Euro

If MBUSA can shave off $200 per unit for omitting something so miniscule they will definitely do it. I'm quite honestly shocked at how much the auto dimming actually costs, I did not expect the difference to be this high.

Aren't you confusing retail price with manufacturer's cost?
telemakhos is offline  
Old 01-23-2014, 10:35 AM
  #20  
Super Member
 
mikemargolis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 503
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'11 E350BTC P2 Leather
For me, it's the lack of backup sensors, which you don't get unless you purchase the $1300 Parktronic option.

Really?
mikemargolis is offline  
Old 01-23-2014, 12:29 PM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
PeterUbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,733
Likes: 0
Received 499 Likes on 419 Posts
2014 E63S, 2014 Acura MDX, 2008 Infiniti G35x
It bothers me with bright lights at night... Looks like I'll have to get tint
PeterUbers is online now  
Old 01-23-2014, 12:39 PM
  #22  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 105
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-Class, Range Rover, Lamb
Never noticed. I have 20% tint all around and like many said it probably pointed away...Still semi cheap if true.

Anyways ultimate black out - roll up back window shade, pana roof shade= extreme darkness.
GabrielNov is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wow, cheapest lack of feature...


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: