E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

New MB owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black 2010 E350 Sport
New MB owner

I spent quite a bit of time on this website before my purchase, so I figured I’d share my experience and gather some feedback from the site (see question below).

I purchased my Black 2010 E350 Sport at the end of December 2013 from a local 3rd party dealership. I had been driving an Army Green 2003 Nissan Xterra for a long time – I had added a small lift kit, bigger tires, brush guard and tinted windows. I loved the truck, but given my age now, my profession and lack of power window/doors it wasn’t the most suitable ride.

At first I thought I wanted a 2011 BMW 335, but after actually driving one, I realized how small they are (I’m 6’ 3”). Don’t get me wrong it was a big upgrade from my Xterra and really fun to drive, it just wasn’t what I thought it would be. After test driving the BMW 335, I hopped into a 2010 MB 550 for fun. I had never been in a car like the E550 and all I can say is wow – I was completely shocked by the power given the size of the car. When I came back to the dealership I had a grin on my face and the dealer found it pretty amusing – they all knew how bad a$$ it was. I left for the day, only to return the following day to test drive some more MB’s – I had assumed they were be out of my price range, but after the E550 I was open to a MB. On the second test drive day I noticed my eventual car, a Black 2010 E350, and while it was above my price range (it was listed at $31,900) I figured I take it for a drive. I loved the sturdy feel of the car, the interior (so much better than the BMW) and the sporty lines. Look it was no E550, but it was plenty powerful. I left the dealership, thinking I would need to find a high mileage 2010 E350 because $31,900 was just too much.

The dealer called me back the following day to check-in with me, I explained that of all the cars I liked the 2010 E350 the best, but that it was out of my max price range ($30,000). I asked him to be on the look-out for a higher mileage E350 for me. Two days later he called me back… he explained that given that it was the end of the year he could do $30,416 on the 2010 E350! End of the year savings are real! On top of that discount I was able to negotiate the trade value on my 2003 Xterra (103,000 miles) to $5,000 – they’re only caveat was I make the deal before year-end. I made the deal just before Christmas!

I will mention that I initially had an extended warranty on the E350 - $3,609 for for 48mo / 100,000 “compressive” coverage. They kinda pushed it at the closing (not as bad as I’ve read on here, but they strongly recommended it) and I honestly got caught-up in the moment and just went with it. However, after some research and review of this site, I opted to cancel the warranty at no cost (with-in the first 30 day stipulation of the contract).

I’ll upload some pictures at some point, but it’s a black exterior with tan interior (sport) and pano roof. The interior was perfect with the exception of a shoe mark on the passenger side door; which the dealer had taken care of by his interior guy after the deal (I had it drawn up in the contract). Exterior had a few small rock marks which I could tell had been touched-up, but nothing noticeable. I checked the hood bolts to make sure it hadn’t been in an accident (something I learned from this site) and the dealer provided a Carfax (mind you Carfaxe’s are only for reported accidents – thus the bolt check).

A few things I’ve figured out about the car –
The best product for playing iPhone music through Bluetooth is ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000 (
Amazon Amazon
). There are a couple of kinks with non-apple songs not showing the name of the song or artist on the HUD, but who cares. I keep an old ipod in the glove box if I don’t feel like streaming music (I think the direct connect sounds better).

The following You-Tube video is great for hooking up you iPhone blue-tooth hands free -
. Just watch it and follow directions. I will say that I’ve had issues with voice-dialing people… but I need to do some research on possible fixes.

Now for the bad news –
I live in the south and we had some “bad” conditions due to snow and ice. I was in my office parking lot and had my rear left bumper hit (just barely). The impact took off a quarter size of paint and left a couple of paint crack marks on the left rear bumper. The person actually left a note (with their number) – turns out they just started sliding on ice and my car happened to be there to stop them. Look things happen, but after only having the car for 2 months, I was disappointed and want to fix it immediately. I’m trying to leave insurance out of it (the guy asked me if we could handle without insurance). I called my dealer and he put me in touch with his detail guy. I met with him yesterday and he said he could easily fill with some paint ($50.00), but if I was a perfectionist he’d recommend pulling the bumper and doing a total repaint even though it’s a really small paint scrape. He quoted me $260.00 and said it would take a full day (said he’s sand, prime and paint). He was nice and showed me his warehouse, there was a guy working on a new Porsche Panamera with dents and lots of other high-end cars – which made me feel better that these guys are legit. I guess my questions are….

1. Does $260.00 seem too cheap – I was expecting a lot more (maybe I’m getting a good price because I was sent by the dealer – they dealer I worked with sends all his touch-ups to this guy)?
2. Should I be worried he won’t be able to match the color?
3. The guys that hit me said he’s pay whatever… so should I go to a dealership or go another route to get a better result?

Any insights or comments would be very helpful - my stomach was is knots yesterday over the damage, even if it is small.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E63 AMG / 07 C230 / 14 E350
Welcome to the forum!! Sorry to hear what happen to your ride.. Just remember that you get what you've paid for! I would rather take it to the authorized body shop at least they can spray to match the paint on your car. That's my 0.02
Old 03-05-2014, 10:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550
Sorry but NO detail guy. I would take it the MB shop they use for paint and do the entire bumper. The guy who hit you said he would pay for it out of pocket. Take him up on that and have it professional done.

Last edited by stale-bread; 03-05-2014 at 11:29 PM.