E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

car Washes with attendants

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 05:04 PM
pmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic, Obsidian Black Metallic / Designo Platinum White Leather, P1, Dist+, Pano, etc...
Originally Posted by mikemargolis
I am certainly not lazy, I am a self made man who can afford a $60K car.

I simply don't care to wash it myself, the cost:benefit ratio is too low. I don't care about "swirlies," whatever they are, and it hasn't broken freezing here for about a month. I am not going to turn my driveway into a skating rink when I can spend $5 for the guys down at the corner to do it.

I didn't say that I don't wash the car, I said that I don't wash it myself.
I'm with you on this one. Washing and polishing my car is something I no longer choose to spend my time doing. I also don't mow my own lawn or clean my gutters. I have a limited amount of discretionary time and choose to spent it in pursuit of other activities.

If I end up with swirls, I'll get it professionally detailed.

Don't get me wrong - if you enjoy detailing your own car, that's great too!
Old 03-08-2014, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
No its not

Originally Posted by Airmousam
Sorry, but thats physically impossible
I look very closely at the cars as the waiting area is right next to end of washer and drying area.
As for the cloths being dirty, the water that is coming down cleans them just as it cleans your car.
I have used the 2 and 3 bucket methods. After about the third rinse, the 2nd and 3rd buckets have dirty water in them.
Its a CAR with paint meant to endure hot, cold, blazing sun, ice, dirt, etc.
Just checked out my 2005 Toyota RAV4 that has been going through a car wash at least six times per year since new. Used flashlight and overhead light in garage and checked under bright sunlight. Zero swirls or other problems!
BTW, I meant for this post to be information for people who use automatic car washes, not as a debate over personal preferences.

Last edited by El Cid; 03-08-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by El Cid
Just checked out my 2005 Toyota RAV4 that has been going through a car wash at least six times per year since new. Used flashlight and overhead light in garage and checked under bright sunlight. Zero swirls or other problems!
Throw up pics then. It's not possible that it's not swirled with that amount of abuse.

I've detailed/washed/had to fix cars numbering into the thousands. If it's seen a car wash, it's swirled.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Used flashlight and overhead light in garage and checked under bright sunlight. .
Again, physically impossible....just sayin
Old 03-08-2014, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry can't do pics, but wouldn't matter anyway because a good enough resolution is not possible unless use very high tech equipment.
You'll just have to trust me. ABSOLUTELY NO SWIRLS OR OTHER DAMAGE. If there were, I wouldn't use them.
BTW, I have used automated car washes for over 30 years with NO damage, swirls, etc. except to the POS 1984(?) black Saab. This includes dark gray, red, maroon, tan, etc.
Just normal daily driving will do far more damage than a quality automatic car wash.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry can't do pics, but wouldn't matter anyway because a good enough resolution is not possible unless use very high tech equipment.
You'll just have to trust me. ABSOLUTELY NO SWIRLS OR OTHER DAMAGE. If there were, I wouldn't use them.
BTW, I have used automated car washes for over 30 years with NO damage, swirls, etc. except to the POS 1984(?) black Saab. This includes dark gray, red, maroon, tan, etc.
Just normal daily driving will do far more damage than a quality automatic car wash.
In god we trust, all others bring pics ...ill venture to guess youre not quite sure what swirl marks are, and thats ok...all good
Old 03-08-2014, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No swirls, scratches or any other kind of mark on the paint from any angle. If can't see them, must not be there. I used a painter's trick to inspect. Take a bright flashlight and shine it at an angle and look from an angle. It shows defects in painted surfaces.
However, since I am in the South and do not get my vehicles terribly dirty, maybe cars in states with a lot of road salt and sand and slush in the winter or other conditions may be the cause of the swirls moreso than the car washes themselves?
Anyway, it's 68 degrees and the sun is shining and I'm going for a walk.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No swirls, scratches or any other kind of mark on the paint from any angle. If can't see them, must not be there. I used a painter's trick to inspect. Take a bright flashlight and shine it at an angle and look from an angle. It shows defects in painted surfaces.
However, since I am in the South and do not get my vehicles terribly dirty, maybe cars in states with a lot of road salt and sand and slush in the winter or other conditions may be the cause of the swirls moreso than the car washes themselves?
Wish it was 68 here, enjoy!!
Old 03-08-2014, 05:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 e350
snow doesnt cause swirls, rubbing dirt into your car causes swirls, just go out to a supermarket at night and park under one of the street lights and take a few pics, you'll see the swirls, or as a previous poster pointed out, youre probably thinking of something else when you says swirls.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool Doesn't matter

Originally Posted by mikeyle
snow doesnt cause swirls, rubbing dirt into your car causes swirls, just go out to a supermarket at night and park under one of the street lights and take a few pics, you'll see the swirls, or as a previous poster pointed out, youre probably thinking of something else when you says swirls.
Looked at it under every normal lighting condition possible. Have taken plenty of pictures, some close up, also.
No swirls or imperfections of any kind whatsoever.
BTW, if I have to take it to a supermarket and place it under a super sodium or other light and take pictures to see the swirls, does it really matter? Nobody else can see them either.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 e350
Looked at it under every normal lighting condition possible. Have taken plenty of pictures, some close up, also.
No swirls or imperfections of any kind whatsoever.
BTW, if I have to take it to a supermarket and place it under a super sodium or other light and take pictures to see the swirls, does it really matter? Nobody else can see them either.
to me thats when the swirls are most obvious, but any car in direct sunlight will show them too, just take some pics, who doesnt have a decent camera on their phones these days...