E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E350 muffler delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 08:20 AM

Received 183 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by UberMB203
THANKS! Great video and the sound is a bit more aggressive then stock... and makes me second guess my steel grey... White is so nice...

NOOOO! Don't second guess steel grey. It is so much less common -- you won't see your car coming around the corner at you in every parking lot with the steel grey.

Also, it sort of becomes "invisible" to the local police if you get into the loud pedal too much. . .
Old 09-21-2015, 08:22 AM

Received 183 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
Listening to these sound clips reminds me of my old autocross car. Sixes with true split exhaust are a neat sound. Kind of sound like they are trying to rip up the pavement.

I guess I'm lucky, though. With the E400, you can hear Gonzo "grumbling under his breath" at low to modest revs with the stock exhaust.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350
I recently did the resonator delete. Barely any sound improvement and added that annoying flutter. Now i'm gonna try to improve the muffler delete (thanks for the youtube video). GOnna delete the mufflers and add in the Magnaflow 12468 muffler where the resonator was. Its a x-pipe muffler so it should remove the flutter and Magnaflow is usually deep and quiet so i think it will refine the muffler delete sound.

I need a nice exhaust sound to match the nice looks. Wish me luck!!

Last edited by FLMAS; 09-21-2015 at 10:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
white_w212 (01-15-2024)
Old 09-22-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by FLMAS
I recently did the resonator delete. Barely any sound improvement and added that annoying flutter. Now i'm gonna try to improve the muffler delete (thanks for the youtube video). GOnna delete the mufflers and add in the Magnaflow 12468 muffler where the resonator was. Its a x-pipe muffler so it should remove the flutter and Magnaflow is usually deep and quiet so i think it will refine the muffler delete sound.

I need a nice exhaust sound to match the nice looks. Wish me luck!!

Interesting. I have definitely heard of people putting in an Xpipe with magna flow mufflers (in place of our current mufflers), but I've never heard of deleting our existing mufflers and adding a magna flow "anything" in place of a resonator while having straight pipes to the tips... Where did you come up with this idea? Ideally I would like to also get away from the "fluttery" sound and would be highly interested in a magna flow muffler system but with the way my current straight pipes are, I'm looking at $600 in materials plus labor to get everything set up the way my high performance shop recommends. Have you heard or seen the setup you're referring to elsewhere?

Last edited by KY.Benzster; 09-22-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:51 AM

2013 E350
I was looking for something done before but couldn't find anything I liked. The YouTube video mentioned above was the best I liked but I think the volume is probably too loud. I considered replacing the mufflers with aftermarket ones but with 2 mufflers its 2 things producing sound so I think the volume will also be high. I have extensive exhaust experience from my previous car (Aftermarket Supercharged Acura TL). I've tweaked exhaust many many times to much deeper levels than this so i'm pretty confident fiddling with this stuff. I can't stand driving around silent so I had to do something. Looking for medium volume deep growl. I drive slow these days so I want some low rpm rumble worthy of a nice luxury car.

Worst case scenario if it's still too loud I could add in some other components later. My previous car had a supercharger and absolutely no catalytic converters by the time I was done with it. I was able to make it sound incredible after messing with it. Search YouTube for Supercharged Acura TL (its a black one) if you want to hear clips of it. ....sounded so sweet.

Last edited by FLMAS; 09-22-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:06 AM

2010 E350 4Matic Sport
I was looking for something done before but couldn't find anything I liked. The YouTube video mentioned above was the best I liked but I think the volume is probably too loud. I considered replacing the mufflers with aftermarket ones but with 2 mufflers its 2 things producing sound so I think the volume will also be high. I have extensive exhaust experience from my previous car (Aftermarket Supercharged Acura TL). I've tweaked exhaust many many times to much deeper levels than this so i'm pretty confident fiddling with this stuff. I can't stand driving around silent so I had to do something. Looking for medium volume deep growl. I drive slow these days so I want some low rpm rumble worthy of a nice luxury car.

Worst case scenario if it's still too loud I could add in some other components later. My previous car had a supercharger and absolutely no catalytic converters by the time I was done with it. I was able to make it sound incredible after messing with it. Search YouTube for Supercharged Acura TL (its a black one) if you want to hear clips of it. ....sounded so sweet.
Haha, I think we're the same person as I'm looking for the same thing. I have also owned several vehicles in the past in which I've created a wonderfully sounding exhaust, but it always "matched" the look of the car. The faster the car, the louder the exhaust. My E is in no means a race car but with its sporty look I'd like to deepen the growl (all with keeping the integrity of the Mercedes image). Keep us posted on the setup and thanks for the post. You've got my mental wheels turning....
Old 09-22-2015, 11:10 AM

2013 E350
Haha, cool I'll make a video once it's finally done.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:14 PM

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 AMG E63s 4Matic+, 2018 Porsche 911 4S, 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2014 E63 AMG-S , 2013 E350 , 2008 ML350
$119..
http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-12468-Satin-Stainless-Muffler/dp/B000CCG00K http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-12468-Satin-Stainless-Muffler/dp/B000CCG00K
not bad for the muffler... exciting to here about this muffler (instead of OEM resonator) and strait pipe till the tips(no OEM mufflers). So you're looking at maybe under $300 for this total.... sure beats spending $2000 total for a MeisterSchaft yeah?
Old 09-22-2015, 01:36 PM

2013 E350
No doubt, there is no way i'm spending over $1,000 just for a little more sound.

Once this project is completed the next task is to find some nice tips to install. I'm not crazy about the AMG ones (too boxy for me, besides dont want to change bumper). I'm thinking of some nice double oval ones like on the AMG C63 but they have to fit without changing or cutting the bumper. GOnna take a little investigation unless someone knows of someone who has done it already?
Old 09-22-2015, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350
No doubt, there is no way i'm spending over $1,000 just for a little more sound.

Once this project is completed the next task is to find some nice tips to install. I'm not crazy about the AMG ones (too boxy for me, besides dont want to change bumper). I'm thinking of some nice double oval ones like on the AMG C63 but they have to fit without changing or cutting the bumper. GOnna take a little investigation unless someone knows of someone who has done it already?

Interested to see what you do here and what tips you use. This is the only piece missing to my current exhaust setup. If the E63 tips fit the OEM diffuser, I would have done it ages ago.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:53 PM

2013 E350
Originally Posted by UberMB203
$119.. http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-1246.../dp/B000CCG00K not bad for the muffler... exciting to here about this muffler (instead of OEM resonator) and strait pipe till the tips(no OEM mufflers). So you're looking at maybe under $300 for this total.... sure beats spending $2000 total for a MeisterSchaft yeah?
That muffler is not going to fit the E350. You need to have an offset/center muffler with the right diameters. There's not enough room for welding with a full centered muffler, especially the dual oval one you posted.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:58 PM

2013 E350
I'll be honest i'm just not that crazy about the E63 tips. This car already has a somewhat boxy shape with sharp lines and the boxy tips dont provide a nice contrast. I've always been a fan of quad tips but perfect round ones seem too sporty or even cheap for this car. Thats why i think a nice dual oval would work very well. Something like this...

Old 09-22-2015, 05:05 PM

2013 E350
Originally Posted by eNNCity
That muffler is not going to fit the E350. You need to have an offset/center muffler with the right diameters. There's not enough room for welding with a full centered muffler, especially the dual oval one you posted.

I dont understand your comment. Can you explain a different way?

I selected the 12468 muffler by measuring the resonator that was removed. The pipe diameters were 2.5". The width of the resonator 8". The length was 18 long. Based on the existing pipes and the space available it seemed to be the best to fit. Of course there may be some tweaking to be done expanding the pipe diameter a bit to "sleeve" one over the other for a good seal and weld area but the exhaust guys are capable of doing that. Below is the pic with dimensions.

I am sure capable of making a mistake so pls clarify so i can prepare to return it if need be. Haha

Thx

Last edited by FLMAS; 09-22-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:25 PM

2013 E350
I'll be honest i'm just not that crazy about the E63 tips. This car already has a somewhat boxy shape with sharp lines and the boxy tips dont provide a nice contrast. I've always been a fan of quad tips but perfect round ones seem too sporty or even cheap for this car. Thats why i think a nice dual oval would work very well. Something like this...

Those cut outs on the diffuser seem to be pretty wide... I have to measure how big the cutouts are on the E350. Finding a good pair of tips with the oem diffuser has been a difficult task so far.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:28 PM

2013 E350
I dont understand your comment. Can you explain a different way?

I selected the 12468 muffler by measuring the resonator that was removed. The pipe diameters were 2.5". The width of the resonator 8". The length was 18 long. Based on the existing pipes and the space available it seemed to be the best to fit. Of course there may be some tweaking to be done expanding the pipe diameter a bit to "sleeve" one over the other for a good seal and weld area but the exhaust guys are capable of doing that. Below is the pic with dimensions.

I am sure capable of making a mistake so pls clarify so i can prepare to return it if need be. Haha

Thx

My mistake. I didn't realize you were posting that muffler as intended to replace the resonator. Only worry I would have is having the space to do the welds on the top. The welder needs room to get his hands up there. I was referring to replacing the OEM mufflers, those require a offset/center setup to allow space to create the welds.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:33 PM

2013 E350
OK you scared me. I'll continue as planned , let's see how it goes.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:30 PM

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 AMG E63s 4Matic+, 2018 Porsche 911 4S, 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2014 E63 AMG-S , 2013 E350 , 2008 ML350
E350 muffler delete

Ok this forum is great. The two things I am most excited about is what FLMAS Is doing. Thank you for doing the legwork on this one! And also I really wanted to change the tips so thanks to all in this forum for putting this together. Teamwork makes the dream work!

OK you scared me. I'll continue as planned , let's see how it goes.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:03 PM

2010 mb e350
Originally Posted by 5Hundred
I've had a muffler delete on my car for a few years now...

No problems, costs ineffective, and sounds nice!

I must say however it does sound more like an infinity but does so in a way where it sounds distinct to the nature of a mercedes benz.

Here is a my channel where i have posted my car pushing some nice revs..

Overall i must say i am satisfied with the way it sounds, but recently (since i have not driven my car for a while) i have been quite annoyed with the drone it produces out of the dual tips.. Until the engine really warms up and clears its throat (cleaner air filters, clear pipes, fresh fluid) i find myself trapped in either the lower gears (higher revs) or higher gears (very low revs)

...but its by no means "obnoxious"

so did you go straight pipe from the down pipe all the way to the exhaust or what did you delete the resonator and the mufflers? or did you leave the resonators untouched and just delete the exhaust?

Last edited by elig0nzal3z; 09-24-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 C63 P31 Coupe; 2022 R8 Performance RWD; 2018 Stelvio Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by elig0nzal3z
so did you go straight pipe from the down pipe all the way to the exhaust or what did you delete the resonator and the mufflers? or did you leave the resonators untouched and just delete the exhaust?
I left the resonators & cat-converters completely stock. The mufflers were sawed off and a stainless steel pipe was modified (shaped) to fill the void.
I absolutely love the sound. Downshifting with slightly tapping the accelerator makes a symphonic rumble as I push through a corner or come to a stop. 5 years of ownership of the car and it still sounds great. Total cost of modification and installation was $200 out the door (considerably high for just a MD)

On the other hand my younger brother left his stock mufflers on his C63 and replaced his resonators with a mandrel bent stainless steel h-pipe. If you're looking for a deeper tone, more of a metallic grumble, and potential gains for higher performance I would do this exhaust setup. I would recommend this setup for larger displacement engine sizes however I recommend keeping your cat-converters in place because of various reasons. The car sounded deeply elegant stock but now its a roaring AMG that is as loud as the driver's intentions.

On a side note- Thanks to everyone for their input. Its good to see other people taking matters in their own hands to adjust the passion and character of their cars and also share their personal experience and feedback.

Last edited by 5Hundred; 09-25-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:48 PM

2010 mb e350
I left the resonators & cat-converters completely stock. The mufflers were sawed off and a stainless steel pipe was modified (shaped) to fill the void.
I absolutely love the sound. Downshifting with slightly tapping the accelerator makes a symphonic rumble as I push through a corner or come to a stop. 5 years of ownership of the car and it still sounds great. Total cost of modification and installation was $200 out the door (considerably high for just a MD)

On the other hand my younger brother left his stock mufflers on his C63 and replaced his resonators with a mandrel bent stainless steel h-pipe. If you're looking for a deeper tone, more of a metallic grumble, and potential gains for higher performance I would do this exhaust setup. I would recommend this setup for larger displacement engine sizes however I recommend keeping your cat-converters in place because of various reasons. The car sounded deeply elegant stock but now its a roaring AMG that is as loud as the driver's intentions.

On a side note- Thanks to everyone for their input. Its good to see other people taking matters in their own hands to adjust the passion and character of their cars and also share their personal experience and feedback.

yea im thinking of doing the exact thing I don't want anything to loud or with a bad drone I just want a deeper rumble when I first get on the gas just so I can hear the car moving rather then just feel it moving lol. I figured if I take the resonator off its going to get to raspy your brothers c63 probably sounds like a beast with out resonators but again its a c63!! lol I like the sound of yours that's why I just wanted to make sure it was a simple saw off and replace the space concept aside from that your engine is completely stock right?
also how is it when your just cruising is it even noticeable?

Last edited by elig0nzal3z; 09-25-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 C63 P31 Coupe; 2022 R8 Performance RWD; 2018 Stelvio Quadrifoglio
Reply to: elig0nzal3z;

Yes thats right, simple saw off and replace concept proves to be effective for a great sound. The engine exhaust is close to dead silent (n.a. 3.5L V6) with stock mufflers on. Compare the stock engine sound to a 6.2L AMG V8 and its an earthquake to a ocean wave. With the muffler delete it sounds alive and well and there is enough piping in the exhaust system to dissipate any unwanted drone or flutters at a crusing speed. (mufflers are about 25-30% weight of the entire system). The Idle noise is a low hum and occasional crackle and pops during a cold engine start. Its really the best of both words with this car.
Originally i planned on saving a couple thousand to put an exhaust system like the valvetronic Meisterschaft GTC catback system.. Ultimately I opted out because there's no way of getting this car up to AMG-performance without custom fabricating a forced induction system (turbos/superchargers) or engine swap (+$10k). But even before that your looking for suspension and 6+4 piston brakes ($6k+).
Old 09-25-2015, 06:51 PM

2010 mb e350
Reply to: elig0nzal3z;

Yes thats right, simple saw off and replace concept proves to be effective for a great sound. The engine exhaust is close to dead silent (n.a. 3.5L V6) with stock mufflers on. Compare the stock engine sound to a 6.2L AMG V8 and its an earthquake to a ocean wave. With the muffler delete it sounds alive and well and there is enough piping in the exhaust system to dissipate any unwanted drone or flutters at a crusing speed. (mufflers are about 25-30% weight of the entire system). The Idle noise is a low hum and occasional crackle and pops during a cold engine start. Its really the best of both words with this car.
Originally i planned on saving a couple thousand to put an exhaust system like the valvetronic Meisterschaft GTC catback system.. Ultimately I opted out because there's no way of getting this car up to AMG-performance without custom fabricating a forced induction system (turbos/superchargers) or engine swap (+$10k). But even before that your looking for suspension and 6+4 piston brakes ($6k+).
yea ill be doing it Tuesday fingers crossed that it comes out sounding as nice as yours. I cant stand the dead silence. I just want a little bit of a deeper ton in the exhaust note when I first put my foot on the gas to get moving i'm sure the exhaust delete will do it. and yea my next step will probably be a nice set of rims and that's it not trying to make it a race car or anything just want something I enjoy driving more then I already do.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Make sure the one you delete will be under she who will be listened to.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:36 PM

2013 E350
Wish me luck

Old 10-01-2015, 12:21 AM

2010 E350 4Matic Sport
Okay, crap...guess I'm going to attempt this set up too. Funny thing is my tuner shop actually guided me to delete the resonator after I went in initially requesting to delete the mufflers.

Question, I no longer have my OEM resonator & wondering how much it will cost to reinstall one before deleting the mufflers?????

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E350 muffler delete