navigation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 843 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by aeroconfigs
The Nav on w212 is bad, embarrassingly so. I would never try using it front of anyone I wanted to impress.
Would you shed some light to why the navigation in these cars is so very poor, please.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
I am not an expert but here is what I have learned and found out. Hopefully a MBworld fanatic will not call me stupid. FIrst of all no one hardly ever calls MB to complain about it according to MB. MB buys the navagation units from the cheapet source it can find. It does not matter that they are the most reliable only that it is the cheapest. No one checks how the units function as long as it works somewhat. MB then has the Navteq system installed in the Cheap unit but the cheap unit cannot handle all the information. I can install my information on Navteq and it works fine but I cannot install my information on the cheap unit in my car. What needs to be done is people need to complain to MB and force them into a recall. Call MB corporate Offices and complain.

Last edited by dbldpr; 06-29-2014 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-29-2014, 12:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by dbldpr
I finally figured out how to put in the navigation gps coordinates for my address. It will not allow me to put in Prairie View , Lincolnshire or buffalo grove. It states it is in Deerfield which is 15 miles away. When I use the NavTec it allows me to do what I want to do. What does that mean? IS the mfg of the navigation device at fault or what. Any suggestions? How do i find out who made the navigation device for 2014 models?
When u save your location when you're sitting in your driveway it's got you in a different town?
Old 06-29-2014, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jbec.keane
You can't. At least as far as I know. What is interesting is that the information on the website should match the information on your navigation system. At least as far as I know.

However, there are two ways to save the address in the navigation system that do not involve entering the address.

1. While at the location, you can save the car's location as a destination.
2. Find the GPS coordinates and enter them as the location. You can find the GPS coordinates using http://www.gps-coordinates.net/ and at the bottom of the Destination list, select enter geo-coordinates

Both of these should work for you. The instructions are also found in your COMAND manual or here

Hope this helps.

JK
The best way is to park your car on the road at your drive way like the post above says in option 1. Then save your car position in the navigation system. It will tell you the address as the system sees it.

I'm thinking that the Prairie View is not an official address for you any more. It is still used and works as it used to have its own postal code but now probably is part of a bigger township with a different name. Navigation map data should be using the official data, not what it used to be.

Last edited by Arrie; 06-29-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
It picks up my street number and street name fine. The problem is my post office is Lincolnshire, Prairie View, Buffalo Grove ON the navteq system it will pick up Lincolnshire which is teriffic. I do not have a problem with that since it picked up the first city listed at the post office. The problem is the MB unit will not use any of the 3 locations for the post office. It picks up deerfield which is 15 miles away. IF MB is using Navteq system and it picks up the correct city why will it not pick up on the MB unit? I have tried every which way of putting in the address and it still only uses deerfield. What the unit is not doing is it does not recognize 60069. It picks up 60069 as deerfield.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It picks up my street number and street name fine. The problem is my post office is Lincolnshire, Prairie View, Buffalo Grove ON the navteq system it will pick up Lincolnshire which is teriffic. I do not have a problem with that since it picked up the first city listed at the post office. The problem is the MB unit will not use any of the 3 locations for the post office. It picks up deerfield which is 15 miles away. IF MB is using Navteq system and it picks up the correct city why will it not pick up on the MB unit? I have tried every which way of putting in the address and it still only uses deerfield. What the unit is not doing is it does not recognize 60069. It picks up 60069 as deerfield.
By the USPS zip code search engine Deerfield, IL zip code is 60015. It obviously is misinformed on the NAVI disk.

But if you do what has been said before with saving your car location at your home you can save it the way your system knows it.

Every navi system has errors and missing roads. You just are the unlucky one with missing your own home address.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arrie thank you for the help I am going to have to live with the system the way it is and I understand it but this is a really a bad navigation system. I tried to put in an address in Buffalo Grove Lake county Illinois and it will not accept Lake county for Buffalo Grove. IT only accepts Cook county. Buffalo Grove has been half in Lake county for over 40 years and yet it states it is not in lake county. The navteQ system accepts lake county for buffalo grove. The mfg of the unit must have used data from the 1940's. Does anyone out there know who the Manufacturer of the navagation system in the 2014 models is?
Old 06-29-2014, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arrie thank you for the help I am going to have to live with the system the way it is and I understand it but this is a really a bad navigation system. I tried to put in an address in Buffalo Grove Lake county Illinois and it will not accept Lake county for Buffalo Grove. IT only accepts Cook county. Buffalo Grove has been half in Lake county for over 40 years and yet it states it is not in lake county. The navteQ system accepts lake county for buffalo grove. The mfg of the unit must have used data from the 1940's. Does anyone out there know who the Manufacturer of the navagation system in the 2014 models is?
Believe me. The problem is NOT with the equipment. It is with the data that was installed in it.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'10 W212 4matic P2-Distronic / '14 Cayenne / '04 X5 3.0 / '13 Altima
I don't use the nav in my porsche or merc, unless I'm using it for a POI or something

Too much trouble to put the address in...

Google maps on my smart phone
Old 06-29-2014, 07:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

I use the send2benz in mbrace all the time... Never have to mess with the comand and my passenger can use this too while we are driving
Old 06-29-2014, 07:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

A good friend had a great way of explaining it this weekend: it's a multibillion dollar industry to navigate people with Garmins and iPhones and apps... It's also a multibillion dollar industry to create cars.... Both can't be the same industry and it's nice to see the future will let your droid or apple do the navigating and send this stuff to your cars LCD
Old 06-29-2014, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kash2014
I don't use the nav in my porsche or merc, unless I'm using it for a POI or something

Too much trouble to put the address in...

Google maps on my smart phone
How is the address entry so difficult? For me it makes sense to first select the state as there are so many states with same city names. Of course you need to tell in what city the address is as the cities have same street names. Then street and the number. My navigation asks for this info in perfect logical order. Why is this so difficult?
Old 06-29-2014, 07:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'10 W212 4matic P2-Distronic / '14 Cayenne / '04 X5 3.0 / '13 Altima
Originally Posted by Arrie
How is the address entry so difficult? For me it makes sense to first select the state as there are so many states with same city names. Of course you need to tell in what city the address is as the cities have same street names. Then street and the number. My navigation asks for this info in perfect logical order. Why is this so difficult?
It isn't difficult, just takes a little longer,

Not subscribed to Satellite Radio so I can use the traffic/alternate routes feature on my phone...

Something I'm used too I guess.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I prefer to use my phone also as it takes fewer steps and has better search options, traffic updates, etc. Also, with addresses for appointments in my calendar on my phone, it takes one or two presses of the phone and I am off. If I don't have the address, I know the name of the location which is easy to search on. The phone is forgiving and easy to correct a mistake. The comand nav is less forgiving. If you know the exact address it is still more steps which takes more time and adds distraction.

I just wish the nav could get directions via BT from the phone. The comand screen is much better. I still use the map view when driving to anticipate what's coming up, but rely on the phone for turn by turn.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
Well, once more I will insert a bit of excuse for the nav company.

"Buffalo Grove (a village) is split along Lake Cook Road into two parts, the Lake County Vernon Township portion and the Cook County Wheeling Township portion."

So we have a village that is embedded in two separate townships, while split between two counties.

I guess I can understand a nav system that has difficulty with that kind of situation. It's not perfect. But I would hesitate to call it "flaud" as you say --- I think you meant "flawed."

I would likely say it has difficulties with extremely complex geographic locations. That's just my opinion -- I have no particular reason to support this particular nav system. It's unfortunate that you live in one of the huge number of "Bermuda Triangles" that exist in the GPS/mapping systems on the planet.

And, I might add, that since the state, or municipalities, provide the precise information to the nav companies, maybe the issue is with the government, not the nav company --- a matter of interpretation.

It would be nice if everything were perfect, but that is not going to happen --- the very reason that Google's self-driving car is not likely until the next century, IMO. GPS is very precise in Silicon Valley, where Google tests --- not so precise in other locations. And every time Cal changes lane locations, it takes months for nav systems to catch up.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AS I have stated before and no one seems to get it. Navteq is perfect for my address. There is no problem with it for my area. I can put my location in and it is perfect. The problem is unit MB used to load Navteq. Maybe I am saying it wrong but if Navteq has the proper information why does it not work on the MB unit. Is the navteq unit I used different than what was put into the MB unit? If someone know let me know. I still would like to know where the MB unit came from. Also my address works perfect on the MB units prior to 2014. Why? Why only the 2014 unit?
Old 06-29-2014, 11:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

AS I have stated before and no one seems to get it. Navteq is perfect for my address. There is no problem with it for my area. I can put my location in and it is perfect. The problem is unit MB used to load Navteq. Maybe I am saying it wrong but if Navteq has the proper information why does it not work on the MB unit. Is the navteq unit I used different than what was put into the MB unit? If someone know let me know. I still would like to know where the MB unit came from. Also my address works perfect on the MB units prior to 2014. Why? Why only the 2014 unit?
I get it now, and I have no idea what they did in 2014 to screw it up.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:39 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by Arrie
Believe me. The problem is NOT with the equipment. It is with the data that was installed in it.
He doesn't believe you either. For some reason he is convinced that MB switched to a significantly cheaper hardware vendor that actually moved his house from one city to another. He would much rather post nearly incoherent rants here instead of contacting NAVTEQ about the data quality issues.

Odd that nobody else has had their house moved to another city.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Typical MBworld fanatic. Always the negative for a post Never anthing good or nice to say on a post . Just Rant and rave about how dumb other members are. You should stop posting until after you seek help for your mental illness. Other members should click on CEB and see how negative you are and how worthless your comments are. Look and see how many times you go on a rant and tell people how stupid they are or make up something to down grade them. You really need help. I guess you are just so tied up in yourself that you cannot see that you need mental help. Rather than MBworld fanatic you should be listed as MBworld negative.

Last edited by dbldpr; 06-30-2014 at 11:44 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 06-30-2014, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350 -2012 W212 4 Matic
My 2 cents use Google Navigation - i used MB Navi and they took me 14 miles wrong way i was shocked.

i stop using the Navi in the car i use Google Navi on my smartphone as my backup
Old 06-30-2014, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Typical MBworld fanatic. Always the negative for a post Never anthing good or nice to say on a post . Just Rant and rave about how dumb other members are. You should stop posting until after you seek help for your mental illness. Other members should click on CEB and see how negative you are and how worthless your comments are. Look and see how many times you go on a rant and tell people how stupid they are or make up something to down grade them. You really need help. I guess you are just so tied up in yourself that you cannot see that you need mental help. Rather than MBworld fanatic you should be listed as MBworld negative.
IMHO your post is an equally offensive personal attack. I suppose you will attack me too. I'm no fanatic. I am a realist. You identified a problem in the mapping in the GPS. Every GPS out there, including vaunted Garmin, is flawed. I had a Garmin tell me twice to go left when the proper turn was right, and some addresses are simply hard to find in a GPS. You can complain all you want to MB but the hardware can only find addresses via the software. Since your address was found via earlier systems somebody screwed up in the 2014 iteration. I think we'll all concede that. Now what do you expect anyone here can do to solve your problem? You have already been given a good solution. Enter your location via the Nav while you are at your address. It will then be able to find it. Then complain to the data company that they missed something. You will probably have an easier time getting listened to if you quietly point out that the address worked on earlier versions and is now garbled rather than yelling at them because they're idiots. This is true by the way even if they actually are idiots.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
I am a old guy with limited computer skills. I went into the sight and registered. I then put my address in but I could not find where to click to make it go to my address. I will play with it more today and hopefully when my Grandson comes home he will be able to tell me how to work the sight. Sorry I cannot answere your question yet but hopefully I will be able to later.
I think this explains why you are unable to understand what is being said.
The only non-technical way to solve this issue is for you to move to Deerfield which your GPS has no problem finding.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w212
It's not just the lack of poi data. The comand location search algorithm performs poorly. It rarely finds the right poi. I use Google maps on my phone and the send2benz or manually enter the destination address. Also the lady's voice is very annoying. I'll put the map up for my passengers but I won't do the nav lookup process again. The typical reaction is like "is this a joke? This is all you get with such a high quality car?"

I rode in my buddy's a6 with the flip out screen with Google map Nav and satellite imagery on the maps. Mb is not even close there. The drive kit might help as a patchup but it's another g or two on top of the original Nav. And you can't get it on older w212. Not a good situation, and drive kit wouldn't exist if the system was properly designed and integrated in the first place.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 E350
I also have a 2014 E350. To date, I have not had any problems with the Nav. In your case, I looked up Prairie View, IL in the USPS site and came up with 60069 as the Zip Code. I tried to duplicate your problem. I fired up the Nav and change the State to IL, I live in Ohio. After that, I used the Command Controller to move to the Zip Code entry function. From there, I entered 60069 and a list of street names appeared. If you try the same and your street name appears, you may be able to enter your address in this fashion. Just an idea. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the try. I can enter my street number and my street. It takes it fine. The problem is it will not allow me to put the city as Prairie View, lincolnshire or Buffalo Grove. It will only allow me to have Deerfield as my city. Deerfield is 15 miles away. I have since talked to a District MB rep. He had me put in an address 2 blocks away in Buffalo Grove. It is workable but that even has a flaw. It lists it as Buffalo Grove cook county and the address is actually in Buffalo grove Lakecounty. But it will get you to the house. Also by talking to the district rep they said when the upgrade comes out they will not charge me the $250 that they normally charge for the upgrade. One other thing I have since found out is that according to google. Garmen has started making the navigation units for MB. Hope you like your new vehicle.