E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

<20k, Wait on Service B?...Philly Indy's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2014 | 12:56 PM

e350
<20k, Wait on Service B?...Philly Indy's?

Hi,

My first service B was due 8/4/2014. I called MB of Cherry Hill asking if I could wait til 20k to do it. They said yes, but I don't want to wait too long. It is an expensive machine that needs TLC.

Right now I'm at 18k. We do not drive much in the fall winter. How long can I wait til doing service B? I know oil and other fluids wear out, but will an extra 6 months make a difference (may take this long to get to 20k)?

Also, I think this dealership is gonna charge me $500ish for the service B and flushing. What indy shops do people recommend near center city philly?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2014 | 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
If you decide to trade in your car, the buying dealer will not be able to CPO it if the service hasn't been completed as per MB timelines. Your trade value will certainly reflect that.

Just a heads-up.
Old 10-05-2014 | 02:43 PM

E350 4matic
I think you'll find they want closer to $800 for a B service, at least that's what my dealer wanted. The rest of my answer will be controversial but I went to an Indy who said I didn't need a lot of the B service stuff yet. I saved a lot of money and the technician was still a certified Mercedes mechanic with 20 years experience who went out on his own. Now he makes more money by charging less...? That said, I'm assuming some risk here and I don't necessarily recommend it for everyone. I just choose to believe that changing fluids etc is not rocket science. If I had a serious issue i wouldn't hesitate to go to Mercedes.
Old 10-11-2014 | 06:27 PM

GL450
I had an Indy certified MB mechanic who has his own shop, perform my B service. I had 24000 miles. He charged me $120.00. Checked everything and changed oil.
Old 10-19-2014 | 11:38 AM

e350
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
If you decide to trade in your car, the buying dealer will not be able to CPO it if the service hasn't been completed as per MB timelines. Your trade value will certainly reflect that.

Just a heads-up.
Ok thanks.
Old 10-19-2014 | 11:38 AM

e350
Originally Posted by Jerzeyjoe
I had an Indy certified MB mechanic who has his own shop, perform my B service. I had 24000 miles. He charged me $120.00. Checked everything and changed oil.
Cool! Does anyone know a good center city Philly indy shop?
Old 10-19-2014 | 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Just a caution, if something goes wrong, will dealer and/or MBUSA quibble over what you didn't get done? Will they question that everything did not get checked out when it should have been?
You purchase a $60,000 car with mediocre fuel efficiency and then quibble over a couple of hundred once or twice a year?
IMO, using the dealer insures that everything is done to MB standards using MB parts. Also, insures that anything showing up in MB computer systems will be taken care of. In addition, it establishes a good relationship with the MB dealer who may have to go to bat for you with MBUSA if something goes wrong.
Legally, DIY or an independent doing it is permissable, but doesn't mean dealer or MB won't challenge any warranty or other issues.
Same applies to getting work done when due while car is under warranty.
Old 10-20-2014 | 10:06 AM

'11 E550 Cpe/'04 GT3
My '11 E550 coupe is at 19,400 miles and the factory warranty expires on 11/15. I'm having its B Service and brake bleed done at the local MB dealership this Friday. Last chance for anything they find to be fixed and paid for by the factory.

While I am confident that the drivetrain is bullet proof, I don't have the same confidence in the all the electronics associated with the P1 and P2 packages. While my car was no a CPO, I was advised by Erin, the Finance Manager of Santa Rosa MB, that it is "NetStar" qualified and, as such, I could by the ELW (Extended Limited Warranty) that would add 3 years and cover the car for up to 75K miles. The warranty has no deductable, is transferable/ cancelable but does not cover “wear and tear” items like belts, brake pads/rotors and is honored by all MB dealers.

A bad electronic module or two will more than cover the cost of the warranty.
Old 10-20-2014 | 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
First ELW in 40+ years of driving

Originally Posted by pca7ggr
My '11 E550 coupe is at 19,400 miles and the factory warranty expires on 11/15. I'm having its B Service and brake bleed done at the local MB dealership this Friday. Last chance for anything they find to be fixed and paid for by the factory.

While I am confident that the drivetrain is bullet proof, I don't have the same confidence in the all the electronics associated with the P1 and P2 packages. While my car was no a CPO, I was advised by Erin, the Finance Manager of Santa Rosa MB, that it is "NetStar" qualified and, as such, I could by the ELW (Extended Limited Warranty) that would add 3 years and cover the car for up to 75K miles. The warranty has no deductable, is transferable/ cancelable but does not cover “wear and tear” items like belts, brake pads/rotors and is honored by all MB dealers.

A bad electronic module or two will more than cover the cost of the warranty.
That is pretty much why I purchased an MBUSA ELW, but I am not that confident that the drivetrain (or anything else) is bullet proof. Also why I continue to use the dealership for all services.
This is first car I have ever purchased an ELW on or felt the need to. Parts and services, even done by indys, are just too expensive.