E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Need help with Transmission flush

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350
Exclamation Need help with Transmission flush

I brought my 2010 e350 4matic in for a 40K B service and was told that i needed to do a transmission flush for $700 (plus the $400 cost of the B service!) they told me that if i did not do it, my extended warranty would not cover any future transmission problems. I called STS and they said they could do same job for $202!! MB then told me that they use a 'special transmission" fluid and STS will kill my trans. when I asked what was so special, they could not/would not tell me. what the? so here are my questions:
1. am i crazy to bring to STS and save $500? What about AAMCO?
2. Is this a very complicated service that only MB should do?
appreciate any insights or experience
Old 11-15-2014, 07:08 PM

w202
They cannot deny you warranty coverage based on where you get your car serviced.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 133 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
As long as the replacement fluid meets MB specification and it's done correctly it cannot void a warranty. Same for ANY service on your car. That being said, I would go to an independent Mercedes shop to do the work. The 7 speed is a little different to fill than most transmissions but many owners have done it themselves successfully. The official procedure calls for a diagnostic hook up to measure temperatures to verify correct fill level and to exercise internals. Fluid specifications are in the manual and don't accept anything that doesn't meet the spec. Dealers are notoriously way overpriced.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:48 AM

e350
Thanks for reply. seems my Q could be misinterpreted. MB dealer did not say that my warranty would be voided if i went some other place for the service, but if i didn't do the service. in any case, i will look for a MB shop. I'm not going to pay $700 for this -- if anyone else has any thoughts, i'm all ears.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,192 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Where are you located? My local MB independent charges $349 for this service. They are MB pros and always follow all proper protocols. I think this is a more fair price for the work.I would not go the STS route for $200, but that is my own personal opinion.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Warranty can be voided

Originally Posted by nvfitz
Thanks for reply. seems my Q could be misinterpreted. MB dealer did not say that my warranty would be voided if i went some other place for the service, but if i didn't do the service. in any case, i will look for a MB shop. I'm not going to pay $700 for this -- if anyone else has any thoughts, i'm all ears.
Warranty can be voided if service not done to MB servicecenter standards. Read your Operator and Maintenance Manuals. And who gets to make that decision? Your MB dealer and MBUSA. So, yes the law says anyone can do service without violating warranty, but does not address what happens when manufacturer/dealer says not done to standards. So, then you get a lawyer and sue or pay for indy to fix the problem. But, did the indy create the problem? Who knows.
While a vehicle is under warranty, I always use dealership just so I won't have any questions about what was done, how and when. Also, puts the dealership in your corner in case MBUSA challenges it. After all dealer would like to keep your business and make money off the warranty work.
I view it as insurance.
In fact, I continue to use dealerships even after the warranty expires. If a problem arises, you can complain to service manager, general manager, owner and MBUSA. Have had too many problems with indys doing poor work and then denying responsibility. And these were the most highly recommended in the area.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:02 PM

e350
think i have someone local to do the work. thanks
Old 11-18-2014, 10:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w212
Mine was 340 at the dealer

Not sure they actually did it because somehow they missed the fact that there was fluid or something leaking all over my trans mount. They never said anything about it and I found it myself the next time I went under the car.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 mercedes benz c300
A "flush" is changing the fluid only . You need trans fluid and filter service .
On my 09 C300 4matic that would only replace about half the fluid because the torque converter holds another 4 quarts of the same trans fluid .
I thought that this trans service is another ripoff until I saw the dirty fluid that came out from my car.
The service should cost half of what they charge but since the trans is sealed they can charge whatever they want . These cars were not made for people trying to save a few bucks ...just think , they could request that you get this service every year or they could have sealed the engine and an oil change could be $300 ...