Michelin X-Ice Xi3 snow tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 914 Likes on 652 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Gregg11_C300
I'm from Wisconsin, I'm an Electrical Engineer - I'm not a tire salesman, nor am i brand loyal to ANYTHING. If a better car or tire comes out tomorrow I'm buying it. What I can tell you is this: On our roads, there are a ton of bridges; covered in ice. We frequently have to drive through slush, 3-4 inches of snow, etc... before plows come. My Blizzaks have worked flawlessly on 3 different cars: Benz E350, Honda Civic, and Ford Freestar mini-van. Each car with Blizzaks went through any condition thrown at it. With a heavier vehicle like an E-Class I can plow through snow better than I ever could in my Suburban in 4-wheel drive. For me, these are the best tires on ICE. Which is by far the most critical point in winter driving. I need assurance that I can go, and more importantly STOP - quickly if need be. The Blizzaks have never let me down in over 10 years of using them.

Relative to this video above those are STUDDED tires. Tires with studs are illegal on passenger cars in my state, and I'm pretty sure in most others as they damage the roads.

The video I posted previously was regular non studded tires performing on an ice rink with simple test of acceleration and stopping distance.

The speed record video has little to do with every day driving but it tells something about the tire quality though. Not all of them can go that speed. Wonder if the Blizzask could do it.

But, you have your opinion of the best winter tire and others have theirs. The video you posted is the worst kind of data as it only has a handful of tires in it and selection of the tires for the test is quite obviously made to make a certain brand to shine in the test. Wonder who paid for the video production.

You seem to be worried about the grip on ice but you select to use tires that rate the third best in a test that I posted earlier. I have never seen a test where Blizzak would be better than Michelin Xi3 on ice so at least you should go with the Michelins?

But if you like the tires then you use them. You are used to them and if you like them that is all that matters.

This whole thing / discussion started when someone posted that Michelin Xi3 is THE BEST winter tire. This is misinformation in my opinion and that is why I had to post against it. Perhaps the poster should have said that in his opinion Xi3 is the best.

The main thing to know is the correct speed on slippery road and that is what matters the most.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by Gregg11_C300
I put my snow tires on my OEM rims, it only costs $50 to swap them so you can swap quite a few times before you can justify new rims. I haven't had any issues with salt damaging my wheels yet. I am however fairly diligent with getting my cars frequently washed in winter to keep the salt off.
Do you have 18" rims? Any concern about damaging wheels (and tires) from multiple swaps over the years? Does dealer store the tires or do you drag them home and store?
Old 12-29-2014, 09:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe, and 2011 E350 Sedan
My E350 has 17" wheels, no damage at all swapping the tires on and off. If that was a problem I'd definitely have a second set of rims. If you are concerned, I would just take pictures of my wheels before/after and if the dealer did damage them they would replace/repair most definitely.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S212 - 2010 E220
Just wanted to bring you the largest test of winter tires from the northern part of Europe.

In Norway, Sweden and probably also Finland the use of winter tires is regulated by law. "You should always use tires suited for icy roads when needed."

Every year the new winter tires are tested by an international independent testing group. The results are highly appreciated by the consumers in my area.

These pages are in Norwegian, but I guess you will get the big lines, or you know how to use Google translate.

Studded:
https://www.naf.no/forbrukertester/d...piggdekk-2014/

Non-studded:
https://www.naf.no/forbrukertester/d...rie-dekk-2014/

Here's how they performed the test:
https://www.naf.no/forbrukertester/d...er-vi-dekkene/

JHH
Old 01-07-2015, 07:33 AM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Originally Posted by Lillegutt
Just wanted to bring you the largest test of winter tires from the northern part of Europe.

In Norway, Sweden and probably also Finland the use of winter tires is regulated by law. "You should always use tires suited for icy roads when needed."

Every year the new winter tires are tested by an international independent testing group. The results are highly appreciated by the consumers in my area.

These pages are in Norwegian, but I guess you will get the big lines, or you know how to use Google translate.

Studded:
https://www.naf.no/forbrukertester/d...piggdekk-2014/

Non-studded:
https://www.naf.no/forbrukertester/d...rie-dekk-2014/

Here's how they performed the test:

JHH
Interesting results, at least from what I could tell. The Haka R2s finished tied for first (I think) with a Goodyear that I haven't seen before. However, the following comment was noteworthy (cut and paste from Google translator):

" It actually just short braking distance on ice as some of studded tires . But tire has a major weakness - braking performance on wet roads . Where is the worst of all . A clear proof that it is impossible to be the best in all areas. Nokian has chosen to be the best on snow and ice. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 8.2 points load index : 94Innside / outside : neiProduksjonsdato : Week 6 , 2014Produksjonsland : Finland"
Old 01-07-2015, 08:34 AM

S212 - 2010 E220
Brakes on wet asphalt was weighted 5% of the total score. The Nokian R2 scored 6 points on this entry, while the Michelin scored 7, so its not like they didn't stop the car at all.

Here are the details of the scores for the non-studded tires:
https://www.naf.no/globalassets/forb...?noresize=true

Here are the details for the studded:

Some keywords translated...
Bremsing = Braking
Akselerasjon = Accelleration
Kjøreegenskaper = Driving properties
Kjørefølelse, subjektiv = Drivers subjective feeling
Støy = Noise
Rullemotstand = Rolling resistance

Some explanation of these criterias:

It's just a test among others...

JHH

Last edited by Lillegutt; 01-07-2015 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 01-07-2015, 09:03 AM

E250 BlueTec 4Matic
Looking for afternaket wheels for E250 4Matic

Does anyone have a recommendation for aftermarket winter wheels for a 2014 E250 BlueTec 4Matic? Trying to configure a set or winter wheels/tires and both TireRack and Discount Tire are at a loss as to what rims fit the car.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lillegutt
Brakes on wet asphalt was weighted 5% of the total score. The Nokian R2 scored 6 points on this entry, while the Michelin scored 7, so its not like they didn't stop the car at all.

Here are the details of the scores for the non-studded tires:

Here are the details for the studded:

Some keywords translated...
Bremsing = Braking
Akselerasjon = Accelleration
Kjøreegenskaper = Driving properties
Kjørefølelse, subjektiv = Drivers subjective feeling
Støy = Noise
Rullemotstand = Rolling resistance

Some explanation of these criterias:

It's just a test among others...

JHH
Thanks for this, good stuff. I understand that the Nokinans are probably the best winter tires available. The part that concerns me is that most of our winter driving is not on snow and ice. Wet and dry pavement performance is important to me. I can't say what is the real world difference between a 6 and say an 8 in these numbers but it does make me want to know more. Plus this test did not include the new Bridgestone WS-80, what a surprise.... I still haven't found a complete test to really compare all of the options.

Speaking of Bridgestone, I find it interesting that this test gives the WS-70 a 10 in noise performance. On our E350 they are the noisiest tires I have ever heard. It is not a tread growl like is typically seen in a snow tire, but rather a higher pitched hum like the sound is resonating or something. When we are sitting on the porch we can honestly hear the car coming down the street before is even seen. My son often announces "mommy's home" while he is playing in the yard but the car is still driving around the corner out of sight!

At least they gave them a 5 and 6 in the driver's subjective feeling on wet and dry roads. I suspect that this goes to the dead spot and sloppy steering response that I mentioned earlier.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
Originally Posted by 00Schneider
Does anyone have a recommendation for aftermarket winter wheels for a 2014 E250 BlueTec 4Matic? Trying to configure a set or winter wheels/tires and both TireRack and Discount Tire are at a loss as to what rims fit the car.
I bought a set of 18x8" Klasse Motorsport Apex wheels (stock size) from kaltire.com. If you put in the car details, you can get a bunch of recommendations.
I went with stock size wheels and tires for the winters.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:53 PM

E350 4Matic 2011
My experience with two sets of X-ice is that in the 3rd year they lose a significant amount of grip while having started out strong. These were with the original Xice and then the X-Ice 2. I then switched to Nokian Hakka R and R2 which so far are outstanding and the R's have kept their grip beyond what the X-ice and X-ice 2 did.

Nokian invented the winter tire and they have speed records on snow/ice with their tires. The latest Hakka 8 (which you can get unstudded in some sizes) is their latest and greatest.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:43 PM

None
We're on our fourth winter with Xi2s on our MDX. No decrease in performance that I can see.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by 00Schneider
Having had a previous bad experience with Enkei alloys purchased from Tirerack (all 4 rims went out of round after 2 years), I decided to purchase the 17" five twin spoke OEM rims from my MB dealer. These are the same rims that are supplied in the USA for the E250BT Sport package. They cost about CD$390 (or US$312) each. Since I'm planning on keeping this car for at least five years, I figure the extra set of winter wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpin snow tires will be worth it.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
I am on my 4th winter on the Xi3. Seems ok.
I have mine on 17" ET45s aftermarket. Cost $130-140 through my dealer as a package via OK Tire in BC.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:50 PM

2015 E250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
I am on my 4th winter on the Xi3. Seems ok.
I have mine on 17" ET45s aftermarket. Cost $130-140 through my dealer as a package via OK Tire in BC.
I do like xi3 as well, just got 245/40/18 from crabby tires installed, balance on my OEMercedes wheels with tire replacement cover, $1120 tax incl. They're look great! Quite happy with the purchase.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
I opted for the 17" because it is recommended as the winter tire and whereas I keep my cars (grill badge at 250000km on my second W124) for some time I usually get extra wheels to save the beads. The w212 was the first one MBC did not have a steel rim for so I got the ones I have.
I figure at $70 a year to pop them off and on vs. breaking down 4 tires twice a year, remounting the tires, balancing and reinstalling them which runs about $200 twice a year I paid my rims of in 4 yr.($200-70=130x5=$650. My rims as I said ran $138 actually or $552. If you keep your cars long enough you might consider rims. It's a 20 minute fiddle with my tire shop. I drive in, they take the tires out of the back, I go in and pay and wait 10 minutes and I am gone. I go back a week later and they re torque the bolts.
I will have to watch mfg dates of course since I run the winters 4 months and the other 8 they are shared with the SLK for mileage and I am away for two months March/April so mileage is not going to catch me out but time will.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Surprised folks opt for winter tires on the 4 matic, I run all seasons and car seems to go anywhere I need it to go, 65" of snow so far this year and counting :-(
Old 02-10-2015, 04:17 PM

None
4Matic doesn't aid braking or steering. Proper winter tires are indispensable in climates with a lot of snow and/or ice.
The traction AWD cars provide in snowy conditions can hide just how poor the road conditions are, giving drivers a false sense of security.

Having said that, I'd never go without an AWD vehicle in the winter.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Originally Posted by looney100
4Matic doesn't aid braking or steering. Proper winter tires are indispensable in climates with a lot of snow and/or ice.
The traction AWD cars provide in snowy conditions can hide just how poor the road conditions are, giving drivers a false sense of security.

Makes sense
Old 02-10-2015, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by looney100

+1
and, new all season tires will handle decently in snow, well, most of them anyway; one year of wear, not so much.