E class or S class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by rediesel
I'm sure the S is better built, smoother, and more luxurious. I'm also sure it's harder to park. . .
Originally Posted by BeachBunny
A comparison of a W221 and my 2015 E350.

[/IMG]
BB very nice E350. Photo demonstrates my point about parking an S Class.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
rediesel: I don't think the parking issues on that car are the car's fault as much as the driver -- That S driver is probably twice my age and doesn't have the surround-view cameras. MUCH easier to get it right when you've got the overhead view.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
rediesel: I don't think the parking issues on that car are the car's fault as much as the driver -- That S driver is probably twice my age and doesn't have the surround-view cameras. MUCH easier to get it right when you've got the overhead view.
Having had it on my last car, I just couldn't do without it. Makes parking so much easier. I like the MB system better because the BMW had no front camera, so front view was severely limited.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lexus LS 400, 2008 BMW 528i, 2014 e250 BlueTec
If wear size of shoes to fit S class, go with S. Otherwise go with E and enjoy it.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
When my E class was in shop and I was waiting, I stepped in Hyundai dealership and checked Genesis 5.0. Oh man, this car has everything that E class owner can imagine and lot extra and just for 53 grands. I felt like I am tricked somewhere, how car can offer so many luxury features, decent engine, outstanding interior for so low price? Did I mention that it is almost S class size?
Old 01-24-2015, 01:24 AM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
Dema: I've never driven the 5.0 but have driven the V6 Genesis. Nice car but it just was too bland to me. Not as anonymous as a Kia Credenza, but close.

So how do they do it? Lower labor and material costs plus aggressive cost cutting/simplifying things. I've driven Infinitis for the past 20 years and had Benzs prior. During this time I also had friends with German cars. There were definite differences between them. The Japanese philosophy seems to be "Good Enough" whereas the Germans seem to over-think things. Similarly, the Japanese/Koreans will take the lower-cost approach to things compared to the Germans.

These differences become very apparent when you pull open the shop manuals for the cars and see how they're put together. Case in point: My 2004 M45 shop manual is just a stack of PDF files, about 121MB. The "shop manual" for my 2015 E comes on multiple DVDs. There's about a 10 page section on electrical power management on the E350. On a 2015 Infiniti Q70L, there isn't any. There's even a big warning in the owner's manual not to run the navigation system unless the engine's on as it might drain the battery.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 841 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Dema
When my E class was in shop and I was waiting, I stepped in Hyundai dealership and checked Genesis 5.0. Oh man, this car has everything that E class owner can imagine and lot extra and just for 53 grands. I felt like I am tricked somewhere, how car can offer so many luxury features, decent engine, outstanding interior for so low price? Did I mention that it is almost S class size?
My friend has a Genesis and it is no bigger than E.

You sure you did not sit in an Eguus?
Old 01-24-2015, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
No it was Genesis for sure. I was really curious sitting in Equus, but they didn't have any. I won't claim that Genesis bigger, it was just impression when I checked back seats. I agree that Asian makers are in better position, they do not invent, they do mostly copying. For example Genesis gear shifter looks very similar to BMW. When I asked sales guy if the car has hold feature and he had no clue, then I easily spotted hold activation button exact in same place as BMW has it. Maybe they claim it as they try to make transition from European cars smooth and you do not need to learn new controls. Steering wheel controls also remained be BMW. However seat adjustment looked as from MB. Perhaps they simply trying combine everything best they can find in European cars. Anyway it is low chance I will ever drive Genesis. I lease cars mostly and low residual for Korean cars make them much more expensive.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:32 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
I want to upgrade to the S class, but I agree with Beach Bunny that it brings unwanted attention. I may get over that some day but for now when I do sell or trade my w211 in roughly 18 to 24 months it will most likely be for another E class.

Last edited by The Thomas J; 01-24-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:40 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
Dema: I've never driven the 5.0 but have driven the V6 Genesis. Nice car but it just was too bland to me. Not as anonymous as a Kia Credenza, but close.

So how do they do it? Lower labor and material costs plus aggressive cost cutting/simplifying things. I've driven Infinitis for the past 20 years and had Benzs prior. During this time I also had friends with German cars. There were definite differences between them. The Japanese philosophy seems to be "Good Enough" whereas the Germans seem to over-think things. Similarly, the Japanese/Koreans will take the lower-cost approach to things compared to the Germans.

These differences become very apparent when you pull open the shop manuals for the cars and see how they're put together. Case in point: My 2004 M45 shop manual is just a stack of PDF files, about 121MB. The "shop manual" for my 2015 E comes on multiple DVDs. There's about a 10 page section on electrical power management on the E350. On a 2015 Infiniti Q70L, there isn't any. There's even a big warning in the owner's manual not to run the navigation system unless the engine's on as it might drain the battery.
No it was Genesis for sure. I was really curious sitting in Equus, but they didn't have any. I won't claim that Genesis bigger, it was just impression when I checked back seats. I agree that Asian makers are in better position, they do not invent, they do mostly copying. For example Genesis gear shifter looks very similar to BMW. When I asked sales guy if the car has hold feature and he had no clue, then I easily spotted hold activation button exact in same place as BMW has it. Maybe they claim it as they try to make transition from European cars smooth and you do not need to learn new controls. Steering wheel controls also remained be BMW. However seat adjustment looked as from MB. Perhaps they simply trying combine everything best they can find in European cars. Anyway it is low chance I will ever drive Genesis. I lease cars mostly and low residual for Korean cars make them much more expensive.
My friend has an Equs his company leased for him and it has EVERYTHING. The rear interior reminds me on a very poor mans Maybach. I do think Hyundai and Kia hit a certain demographic with these cars. They are for people who want a Luxury car that's stuffed with everything but can't afford an MB S class or people who wan't the most bang for there buck that don't care it's a Hyundai or KIA and might not want to call any attention to themselves what's so ever.

I think they will do VERY well on the pre-owned market. Judging by MB, and BMW depreciate at such a rapid rate 3 to 5 years the Hyundai would seemingly depreciate at a more rapid rate leaving some good deals to be had on the used car market
Old 05-08-2015, 07:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 Mercedes E450
Thanks!

Thanks for all of the replies, they were most helpful. I plan on visiting the New York Auto Show in March next year to see the new E-Class.

Now, though, I'm leaning toward an S550 Coupe. I'll be purchasing the car near Seattle, WA (any suggestions on which dealer?) in September 2016 and taking a leisurely four weeks road trip to drive home to Maine.

One problem I have now is ethical. I'd like to test drive the cars here, but, since I won't be purchasing the car from the local dealer, I'm reluctant to have him spend time and effort on someone that won't be purchasing a car (although they WILL get the servicing business).

Also to be decided is new vs 2015 CPO......

HBH
Old 05-08-2015, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by Helmar
Thanks for all of the replies, they were most helpful. I plan on visiting the New York Auto Show in March next year to see the new E-Class.

Now, though, I'm leaning toward an S550 Coupe. I'll be purchasing the car near Seattle, WA (any suggestions on which dealer?) in September 2016 and taking a leisurely four weeks road trip to drive home to Maine.

One problem I have now is ethical. I'd like to test drive the cars here, but, since I won't be purchasing the car from the local dealer, I'm reluctant to have him spend time and effort on someone that won't be purchasing a car (although they WILL get the servicing business).

Also to be decided is new vs 2015 CPO......

HBH

Have you considered European Delivery? When you arrange ED you also get to select the US dealer you want to take delivery at; my dealer told me a lot of people make two vacations out of it. First when you take delivery in Europe, and then when you collect the car at your second US destination. Savings was about 7%.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Keep in mind that dealers get most profit not from selling cars.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 Mercedes-AMG E63 S Sedan
The picture perspective really over emphasizes differences.

When all is said and done, the current S is about 2 inches wider, 10 inches longer and 2 inches taller. In the parking lot the S feels less maneuverable because of its longer wheelbase.

It is rumored that after the change to the new MRA platform in the updated E, the E will be longer and possible wider narrowing the gap.