E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Safelite Windshield Repair - Not so great? See results.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2015 | 07:10 PM

2011 E350 Arctic White
Safelite Windshield Repair - Not so great? See results.

Afternoon all!

A couple of weeks ago I initiated a claim with my insurance to have my windshield replaced after my windshield was hit with debris on the freeway causing a 10+ inch crack.

After a little research, I concluded that Safelite had the best reputation for windshield replacements so I called them up and scheduled a replacement.

Initially, I was given a hard time by the agent - who insisted that I get the aftermarket because it made no sense to get the OEM. She insisted that it made no sense to get an OEM windshield and pay hundreds more despite the fact that the aftermarket was made by the same manufacturer without the Mercedes logo.

My insurance had me covered, so I dismissed her opinion and requested that an OEM windshield be ordered.

Eventually, a very nice gentleman came to my office to replace the windshield. Super nice guy. Unfortunately, this is the result of the windshield replacement....See pics and video.

First, the windshield, on its face, seems fine. However, my windshield wipers are making a thumping sound when they come into their downward position. I just took a few pictures of the windshield wipers in their "off" position and they have been forced into position.

The Windshield on the driver side is so improper that it sits on top of the passenger windshield wiper. See pic. What did the installer do to avoid the sitting problem? He forced the driver windshield wiper against the passenger wiper and you see what we get in the picture. Obviously the thumping problem comes from this improper reattachment of the wipers.

Secondly, there is this odd dot in my center review mirror. Take a look for yourself. What do you think? It looks like someone pressed their finger into the mirror and perhaps damaged the lens/screen/mirror? This I'm not certain about - I just don't recall seeing this dot on the mirror.

This is a CPO 2011 E350. Safelite billed my insurance company over 1,000 dollars for the replacement.

Also, see video below for closer look at wipers.

Old 01-30-2015 | 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
That sucks, sorry to here about that. That dot is normal - mine has it and I think it is the sensor location for auto-dim.

Obviously they need to fix your wipers for you. Someone posted on here about making wiper adjustments to their own car. Nothing I've needed to try, but safelite needs to step up.
Old 01-31-2015 | 08:53 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
fawk that's awful!!!! sorry that happened to you man, they should really fix that for you.......good luck
Old 01-31-2015 | 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
More than 15 years ago Safelite was frustrated with installing a new windshield for me. The fourth time was the charm. First two were bad installs and the third was a good install but the glass had a distortion in front of driver side so they had to get the fourth and install. This went on for weeks and I did not pay until the install and windshield were to my satisfaction. It was a heated glass for the front and retailed at about 1000.00. I still use Safelite and have had six or seven replaced since then and all of the last installs and glass have been first class since the series of mistakes.
Old 01-31-2015 | 08:24 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Wow, that's very disappointing, I hope that you get this resolved, including a new windshield if that's what it takes. That thing with the wipers is unacceptable, amateur level stuff, makes you question everything.
Old 02-01-2015 | 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
I have had mine changed and first of all I agree. OEM all the way.
As to the wipers they should have taken them off to remove and replace the glass and they have mounted them wrong. I had that happen the opposite way and the drivers side went over the A pillar. It just needs to be repositioned. You can do it or call him back.
I cannot see the mirror issue clearly.
Old 02-01-2015 | 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 350
So the guy damaged the wipers while installing the windshield. Then it is their responsibility to fix. I don't think the windshield itself has been installed incorrectly. May be you should ask the dealer to fix it and call the glass company to foot the bill.
Old 02-03-2015 | 11:30 AM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Can't believe I read this recently and today I get a stone chip The local Safelite location is well recommended so I thought I would give them a shot since this is only windshield repair not replacement. Wanted to address it asap to avoid the all-too-familiar craaaack reaching out.
Old 02-03-2015 | 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Wonder how the op made out with this?
Old 02-03-2015 | 02:52 PM

2011 E350 4matic
Safelite is one of the biggest ripoff and nastiest companies to deal with. The reason they don't want you to go OEM is due to the fact that safelite makes their own glasses called SGC. Your representative was kind of right by saying OEM is a waste of money, thats if they were going to use the good quality glass aka PGW, Pilkington or AIG. These companies make glasses for all car companies, but they only put the logo on it, sell to the dealers, and the dealers charge up the a**. You're technically paying more just for the mercedes logo. I forgot which company makes the glasses for MB but either one of those 3 aftermarket glasses are just as good as the "OEM" glass… its the exact same glass but only with the MB logo. However, safelite uses "SGC" glasses which is trash. I know this because I own my an Auto Glass company so yea…

As for the wiper blades, they are not broken. You're technician did not align the wiper blades. all you have to do is pop the hood, take off the wiper blades screws, and align it a little higher again so they don't get stuck together. Its an easy 2 min fix if you have a wrench and a socket instead of having to deal with Safelites warranty department.

word of advice, don't ever go with big name companies like Safelite. I guarantee you they charge at least 200$ more on a normal car… but a mercedes… you're spending 300-400 extra using them for not so great of service.

This is my first post btw, hope i was helpful
The following 2 users liked this post by RezG:
IamAmused (11-02-2021), shipvalet (04-07-2023)
Old 02-03-2015 | 03:05 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Good advice. This safelite shop by me just got done, the repair looks perfect. But it was just a small chip, I've done them before with the DIY kits as well. I think though if complete windshield replacement is needed I'll do some homework first.
Old 02-03-2015 | 03:58 PM

'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
I had Safelite did my car as well but I went to their store instead of mobile service.
At the time of my damage 2014 windshield was brand new so they didn't even offer aftermarket. They had hard time locating a factory one.

The technician spent extra time bolting and unbolting the wiper arms so they sit perfectly.

Last edited by instantfob; 02-03-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2015 | 12:53 PM

2011 E350 Arctic White
Just an update. First, the windshield replacement is fine. I haven't had any issues with the OEM replacement. However, because they had to remove the windshield wipers to replace the windshield - the re-installation of the wipers was just terrible as demonstrated by the pics/video.

I did call Safelite and they sent the same super nice guy, later that evening, to fix the windshield wipers. The guy shows up later in the afternoon and readjusts the wipers. They appear to be fixed.

Nope. A few weeks later, the passenger windshield wiper just stopped in middle of the windshield while the driver windshield wiper wiped over the stopped one. This happened on the Freeway. I didn't feel comfortable pulling over to push down the stopped passenger wiper so I drove home with a wiper stuck in middle of my windshield.

What can I say? I was pissed/infuriated/raging - like a petulant child throwing a tantrum. Because it was the weekend/time? I couldn't get a hold of the Customer Service Dept.

So I followed up with them on Monday. Again, they sent out the same super nice guy. Very friendly. Of course, being the sucker that I am, I engage him very politely and joked around about this being the second time.

Explained the problem. Told him I'd be in my office while this is being fixed. I didn't want to argue about any possible damage, etc. I just didn't have the fire in the belly to do it. After a little less than hour - he calls me and tells me it is fixed.

When I went out there - he admitted that he is a "complete 'idiot'" because he forgot to tighten the left side windshield wiper - which is the reason why it worked initially but then stopped. I guess it became completely unscrewed after a few wipes. Since then, I haven't had any issues.

Throughout this ordeal - my windshield wipers have taken a beating as you've seen in the video. One of the Customer Reps discussed the possibility of replacing windshield wipers etc.

I had no interest in continuing that discussion. I simply explained that I complied with my part of the bargain - the 1200 paid to them for the OEM replacement. That has been paid. But unfortunately, they hadn't complied with their end of the bargain. I just didn't have the inclination to waste more time on this issue.

I'm sure this repair ended up costing me a lot more than the 1200 paid (my insurance covered most of it, I only paid a small deductible). However, the amount of time exhausted on these subsequent problems probably doubled my cost, as far as time.

This was my experience. Would I use them again? I'm not sure. It is hard to consider others when this company has the best reputation. You guys know what I mean. We invest in a nice car and take extra steps to preserve/maintain that investment. Then, a third party tarnishes that investment.

I feel defeated. More so because there is a small, very small, but still visible indention at the top of the windshield. Difficult to describe. Anyhow, I'm exhausted from this experience. Wish it could have turned out as positive as the comments I reviewed.

Last edited by alexunlv; 03-04-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2015 | 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by alexunlv
Wish it could have turned out as positive as the comments I reviewed.
Thanks!
Old 03-04-2015 | 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, 2024 BMW I7 xDrive60
I've had a few windshields replaced before and I will ALWAYS have the dealer do it, with genuine MB parts. These windshields can contain all sorts of electronics these days. The last thing I want is someone other than an MB dealer working on the car and then have other non-glass issues come up, that the dealer can blame on the non-OEM glass or non MB installer. In addition, on leased cars, when it is time to turn the car in, non OEM glass can sometimes cause you problems.
Old 03-04-2015 | 06:47 PM

2017 E300 4matic Sport
Sorry but why would use Safelite to replace a windshield on a high end Benz? Go the dealer or a high end body shop and find out who they sub the work to. You roll the dice with Safelite. Very dependent on the tech who does the work.
Old 05-04-2020 | 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by mjsbenz
Sorry but why would use Safelite to replace a windshield on a high end Benz? Go the dealer or a high end body shop and find out who they sub the work to. You roll the dice with Safelite. Very dependent on the tech who does the work.
I don't want to use safelite, in fact, Geico has approved OEM part installation. It's just me that needs to decide where to do it. The problem is that MB dealership said that they use a third party shop to do the installation which I did't like as it doesn't seem to be reputable and I thought at least safelite are more famous so I wanted to check with you. MB dealer recommended this shop > https://www.piedmonttriadautoglass.com/ and said that they use them to do the installation and I can go directly there or they can ask them to come in to their site.
Old 05-04-2020 | 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Take a look at this: https://www.mbusa.com/en/glasspro
The following users liked this post:
SLKV12TT (02-24-2021)
Old 05-05-2020 | 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by S_W222
I don't want to use safelite, in fact, Geico has approved OEM part installation. It's just me that needs to decide where to do it. The problem is that MB dealership said that they use a third party shop to do the installation which I did't like as it doesn't seem to be reputable and I thought at least safelite are more famous so I wanted to check with you. MB dealer recommended this shop > https://www.piedmonttriadautoglass.com/ and said that they use them to do the installation and I can go directly there or they can ask them to come in to their site.
Had the same situation with Geico in Las Vegas.
Local MB dealers don't do the glass, but they gave me name of big chain who does.
I called them and they come to my place with Chinese glass. I declined the service and it took a week to approve MB glass and get it special-ordered. Everything went fine with replacement.
Old 05-05-2020 | 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kajtek1
Had the same situation with Geico in Las Vegas.
Local MB dealers don't do the glass, but they gave me name of big chain who does.
I called them and they come to my place with Chinese glass. I declined the service and it took a week to approve MB glass and get it special-ordered. Everything went fine with replacement.
Sorry, but I’d park my car and never drive it again, if the only windshield I could get came from China.

Last edited by Streamliner; 05-13-2020 at 04:47 PM.
pierrejoliat (05-06-2020)
Old 05-05-2020 | 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
Tell us how you really feel. LOL.

Old 05-05-2020 | 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You need to educate yourself about what you are buying.
China makes excelent items and seem 1/2 of America is run by the stuff manufactured there.
I have Chinese made automotive tool set that I bought in Europe 35 years ago and it survived several USA-made Craftsman.
The issue is that US distributors don't want to buy good stuff from China.
So blame your local distributor, not the manufacturer.
Old 05-05-2020 | 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You need to educate yourself about what you are buying.
China makes excelent items and seem 1/2 of America is run by the stuff manufactured there.
I have Chinese made automotive tool set that I bought in Europe 35 years ago and it survived several USA-made Craftsman.
The issue is that US distributors don't want to buy good stuff from China.
So blame your local distributor, not the manufacturer.
I’m not saying that some items made in China are not decent quality. For me, it is the idea of buying things made in a country that started this virus and then did what they could to hide it from the rest of the world, causing the deaths of many thousands of people, while benefiting from it financially—and trying to blame it all on the US. I’m done with them.
Old 05-05-2020 | 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is not Chinese who started the virus. It is the nature.
It is just a shame that Americans could not take the sample how Chinese deal with the virus and now we become the biggest carrier.
In this case "biggest" is not positive.
You want to run USA without Chinese stuff? That can be bigger disaster than Coronavirus.
Peachy (05-07-2020)
Old 05-05-2020 | 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

.......You want to run USA without Chinese stuff? That can be bigger disaster than Coronavirus.
We did it before and we can do it again!

pierrejoliat (05-06-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Safelite Windshield Repair - Not so great? See results.