E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Not sure about the new E 350 build.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 09:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
Not sure about the new E 350 build.

So I just had my 2010 E 350 in for it's A service and a couple of tires replaced. Got a brand new, 2250 miles, E 350 as a loaner. Glad to get a nice car for a loaner but a couple of things struck me as odd about a brand new car. First, and I have never seen this on a Benz, the wood trim was not finshed with a high gloss finish. Had a raw wood finish on the trim. Sanded smooth but a definite texture from the grain in the wood. I have not doubt that it was real wood. Gotta admit, not a big fan. But if you like this style, to each his own.

What gave me a double take however was as I was fueling up before I returned the car I noticed that the fuel door finish had an orange peel type texture to the paint. Like it had been re-shot by a bad repair shop. I can't believe that the car left the factory that way. I thought that they had laser scanners to detect flaws in the finish.

Perhaps that is why this car was a loaner. However, if I was considering a new purchase, this would not make me think new E class.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Pretty strange set of arguments, an optional wood trim and a flawed fuel door finish (admittedly a cheap plastic part but no different than on your current E) would steer you away from a car?

In any event, you can still order burl walnut on the facelift E though its popularity is dwindling.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:35 PM

2010 E350, 2015 S550
YYZ,

My point was that I had never seen that finish before on the wood trim offered. I have seen many taxis in Germany with a metal trim in place of the wood, I don't believe offered in North America. Regardless, my comment was, "To each his own." but not to my taste. Since it is an obvious option, that would not have steered me away from a new car. The poor paint finish on the fuel door would. The finish on my fuel door is flawless. What the fuel door is made of is irrelevent. The fact that it is made out of plastic dosent assume that the paint should look *****ty on it. It is a pretty simple thing to catch before the car leaves the factory. If I can notice it at a gas station why was it not noticed by people who look for this sort of thing for a living in quality control?

This car would never have been on ANY dealers showroom floor.

Last edited by mnje350; 02-20-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
2015 E Class build quality

The loaner car that you drove had the optional (extra cost) brown ash open pore wood trim. As YYZ-E55 mentioned, you have the option of burl walnut or black ash, both with a glossy finish.

As for the fuel door, I would bet that it was a replacement door that has been poorly refinished in a body shop and installed on the loaner car. I very much doubt that any E Class with a poorly finished fuel door would pass QC inspection @ the factory.
The finish on my car's fuel door (inside and out !!) is just as fine as the front hood.

With respect to the overall build quality of the current E Class, I would describe it as exceptionally good. It's way ahead of the Alabama built W205 !! The quality of the E Class interior fittings, including the glossy wood trims, is top drawer, and the exterior paint finish is flawless. FYI, MB's paint also stands up much better than BMW's which is easily chipped.

Last edited by DerekACS; 02-20-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:51 PM

2010 E350, 2015 S550
Originally Posted by DerekACS
The loaner car that you drove had the optional (extra cost) brown ash open pore wood trim. As YYZ-E55 mentioned, you have the option of burl walnut or black ash, both with a glossy finish.

As for the fuel door, I would bet that it was a replacement door that has been poorly refinished in a body shop and installed on the loaner car. I very much doubt that any E Class with a poorly finished fuel door would pass QC inspection @ the factory.
The finish on my car's fuel door is just as fine as the front hood.

With respect to the overall build quality of the current E Class, I would describe it as exceptionally good. It's way ahead of the Alabama built W205 !! The quality of the E Class interior fittings is top drawer, and the exterior paint finish is flawless. FYI, MB's paint also stands up much better than BMW's which is easily chipped.
All good points. I commented on the open pore finish to the dealer when I picked my car up and they said that they are seeing more and more like that. As I stated earliere not my cup of tea but It was simply something I had never seen before.

I bet you are right on the door finish because it was such an obvious flaw I can't imagine that it left Sindlefingen that way. Perhaps this is a poor decision on the part of the dealer. I am driving a 4 year old E 350 that I bought new and have been exceptionally happy with. However, by this time of ownership I get the new car itch. Having access to a brand spankin new car as a loaner at this stage of my ownership would be a good time to make me consider getting a new one. This car did not make me want to leave my 2010.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
My 2014 e is flawless... I have the black wood and agree that gloss is the way to go

Perhaps the loaner was already in a car accident?
Old 02-20-2015, 11:09 PM

2010 E350, 2015 S550
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
My 2014 e is flawless... I have the black wood and agree that gloss is the way to go

Perhaps the loaner was already in a car accident?
Could be the case. The rest of the finish all around the filler door was perfect however. Just the fuel door had the orange peel texture to it. I am guessing that perhaps the fuel door became damaged, they had a body shop shoot paint on a repair part and slapped it on the car. The color match was perfect, but the car was Polar White so probably not hard to do. I would not have noticed it if it were not for the texture. Stood out like a sore thumb.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:11 AM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
My 2015 E coupe is also flawless inside and out. It definitely sounds like the loaner car you drove was involved in an accident and the repair shop did a lousy job externally. Therefore the car is only fit to be loaner now. That would also explain why you managed to get an E as a loaner car to begin with. So far all I've seen my dealership give everyone as loaner cars is either C300 or C400 models. C class models. I agree with you that the open pore Brown Ash isn't very attractive at all.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 e350
Originally Posted by mnje350
YYZ,

My point was that I had never seen that finish before on the wood trim offered. I have seen many taxis in Germany with a metal trim in place of the wood, I don't believe offered in North America. Regardless, my comment was, "To each his own." but not to my taste. Since it is an obvious option, that would not have steered me away from a new car. The poor paint finish on the fuel door would. The finish on my fuel door is flawless. What the fuel door is made of is irrelevent. The fact that it is made out of plastic dosent assume that the paint should look *****ty on it. It is a pretty simple thing to catch before the car leaves the factory. If I can notice it at a gas station why was it not noticed by people who look for this sort of thing for a living in quality control?

This car would never have been on ANY dealers showroom floor.
im in southern cal and i have the aluminum trim that is popular in europe, only E ive seen with this trim in the states
Old 02-21-2015, 06:30 PM

2010 E350, 2015 S550
Originally Posted by mikeyle
im in southern cal and i have the aluminum trim that is popular in europe, only E ive seen with this trim in the states
I much prefer the aluminum trim I have seen in Europe to the open pore un-varnished look I saw on this car.

Most of the time I get a loaner it is either an E class or a GLK. Rarely it is a C class. But, the car is always brand new.