E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Dealer Tech wants to take my car home overnight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 12:36 PM

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Originally Posted by rob.anderson
Interesting thread.... This past Christmas I bought the new GLS63 for my wife. The car has less than 800 miles on it and it has been in the dealers shop for 4 weeks due to the "check engine light" being on. The first diagnostic was that "we" ran it low on gas and sucked air into the fuel line. Interesting since we had only put two tanks of fuel in it and the fuel level has never been below 1/4 tank. Further diagnostic by the dealer now indicates miss fires on cylinder #1. They replaced the injector and still no remedy for the "check engine light". Currently they are smoke testing the turbos (not sure what that means). I am remaining patient for a another week if it is not resolved, intend to ask for my money back and they can sell the GLS63 to the next sucker.

As far as Mercedes and quality, my opinion is that they are HORRIBLE! My wife has driven Mercedes for the past 23 years. We alway buy new and everyone of them has had more than normal repair issues ranging from failing fuel pumps to replacing an E63 engine at 15,000 miles due to "porosity" in the block casting. Hoping this instance is good enough to get my wife to consider another brand vehicle.
Best you post this in the GLS or GLS63 thread so that other GLS owners will know your story.
It is also not related to the tech taking the car home overnight for testing.
Just sayin.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:50 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
2021 GLS 63 2014 GL550
Not sure how this post got here...I was replying to a post in the GLS section. Sorry
Old 04-15-2021, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,712 Likes on 2,470 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
Insanity ?

Originally Posted by rob.anderson
As far as Mercedes and quality, my opinion is that they are HORRIBLE!
My wife has driven Mercedes for the past 23 years. We alway buy new and everyone of them has had more than normal repair issues ranging from failing fuel pumps to replacing an E63 engine at 15,000 miles due to "porosity" in the block casting. Hoping this instance is good enough to get my wife to consider another brand vehicle.
23 years...
Are you familiar with the definition of Insanity ???
It's "keep doing the same thing and expect different results".
✌️
Old 04-15-2021, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 548 Likes on 484 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
That's why you buy CPO lol!

- issues sorted- less depreciation remaining- cheaper- can extend warranty- low mileage use
/Solved
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (04-16-2021)
Old 07-19-2022, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c300
Overnight

Originally Posted by Slipperyjazz
Is it common for the dealer to ask if the tech can take my car home overnight so that he can check all is well? They just put a new transmission in(itss been there for a week). Why not test drive it tomorrow during the day?
The car should not leave dealership for night!!! It’s just a free ride home and back to work for them. If they say otherwise it’s BS!!!
Old 07-19-2022, 09:32 PM

c300
Originally Posted by Slipperyjazz
Is it common for the dealer to ask if the tech can take my car home overnight so that he can check all is well? They just put a new transmission in(itss been there for a week). Why not test drive it tomorrow during the day?
why? Because for them is a free ride back home and getting back to work!!! This practice is outrageous!!!
Old 07-19-2022, 09:36 PM

c300
What a BS!!!! Do it during the working hours!!!!

Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Let the tech drive it. Better for the tech to recognize a subtle but potentially serious issue that you might not. I know one lady whose car had serious but intermittent issues that took a full week of the tech's drive time commuting until, one evening, the car quit (as the owner said it would do) and put the tech on the side of the road during rush hour. After that, the service manager stopped doubting the owner.

Better the tech than you. If it's their *** on the line, you bet they'll make sure it's correct.

If it is wrecked for whatever reason, since it was in the possession of the dealership, they have the responsibility.

The early failure is referred to as "Infant Mortality". A few pieces will fail shortly after manufacture and placement into use. After a few months, the failure rate drops significantly, stays level for a time, and then the failure rate rises as the equipment approaches the end of life.

FWIW.
When I left my car for a service and before I got the loaner they took my driver license, Insurirance card and credit card. Plus there are a few restrictions about using the loaner car. They are secure. Taking my car for “overnight test drive “ is simply a scam!!! MB employees getting a free ride and keeping the car for a night!! With no expenses or responsibilities for them!!! Yes, if they brake it the dealership takes responsibility but you don’t have a new car anymore!!!! Everything should be done in dealership working hours. No joy rides!!!! Just think, when you ask for a test drive how far they let you go?! Are they giving you a key and say enjoy and bring it back in the morning?! There is a person next to you telling you where to go, very short ride. Do not fall for their BS anymore. This is your car and you should be treated with respect. No more free rides!!!!

Last edited by Andy12; 07-20-2022 at 07:41 AM. Reason: More information
Old 07-19-2022, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 504 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Best first posts ever.
pierrejoliat (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,756 Likes on 1,126 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Sometimes, resetting a code(s) after a repair takes several miles of driving (40-50+ miles). So, in some situations, the dealer will ask to keep the car overnight and let a tech (or manager) drive it.

I'd rather my car be driven by a tech on his/her known route home and back, than driven in random loops around the dealership during the work day when there is more traffic, temptation to stop for burgers, etc..

Let the dealership do its job.

Last edited by DFWdude; 07-20-2022 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,159 Likes on 774 Posts
12 E350 4Matic 13 E350 4Matic AMG Sport
Originally Posted by Andy12
When I left my car for a service and before I got the loaner they took my driver license, Insurirance card and credit card. Plus there are a few restrictions about using the loaner car. They are secure. Taking my car for “overnight test drive “ is simply a scam!!! MB employees getting a free ride and keeping the car for a night!! With no expenses or responsibilities for them!!! Yes, if they brake it the dealership takes responsibility but you don’t have a new car anymore!!!! Everything should be done in dealership working hours. No joy rides!!!! Just think, when you ask for a test drive how far they let you go?! Are they giving you a key and say enjoy and bring it back in the morning?! There is a person next to you telling you where to go, very short ride. Do not fall for their BS anymore. This is your car and you should be treated with respect. No more free rides!!!!
I usually schedule dealer services to coincide with a trip, I'm mostly retired now, but my '07 S550 ran 128k in five years and was serviced at many dealers all over the country, Nothing like going in for service then driving the loaner 600 miles! I also give my keys to valets all the time, restaurants clubs, etc. life's too short to worry about these things, going to need my car for a week, OK, I'll take the wife to the beach in the loaner, I'll Bet I've driven loaners 15k miles!
Old 07-20-2022, 10:40 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2016 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by pierrejoliat
I usually schedule dealer services to coincide with a trip, I'm mostly retired now, but my '07 S550 ran 128k in five years and was serviced at many dealers all over the country, Nothing like going in for service then driving the loaner 600 miles! I also give my keys to valets all the time, restaurants clubs, etc. life's too short to worry about these things, going to need my car for a week, OK, I'll take the wife to the beach in the loaner, I'll Bet I've driven loaners 15k miles!
Looks like you have very nice dealer loaner program. This does not work with my local one. Last time (pre-pandemic) I had a loaner there were restrictions: not leaving the state and no more than 100mi per day. So taking loaner on trip for me.

Max
Old 07-20-2022, 12:00 PM

c300
Test drive overnight

Originally Posted by pierrejoliat
You are totally missing the point. I don’t mind to take the car for test drive. Just do it during dealership working hours. I just do not like someone taking my car after work for a free trip back home. I like to know if you would be happy after finding that the club/restaurants/valets etc employees took your car for their pleasure through whole night? If you don’t mind you should live it in Home Depot open with the keys inside and welcome everyone who wants to take a ride.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:08 PM

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts
'91 964 Turbo, '02 E55's & '14 E63s-w
You are totally missing the point. I don’t mind to take the car for test drive. Just do it during dealership working hours. I just do not like someone taking my car after work for a free trip back home. I like to know if you would be happy after finding that the club/restaurants/valets etc employees took your car for their pleasure through whole night? If you don’t mind you should live it in Home Depot open with the keys inside and welcome everyone who wants to take a ride.
The problem could be intermittent and going on an extended drive during the working hours might not be economical for the dealership unless you pay the tech salary for missing what ever time the test drive might take.
since they are asking you the permission, I would think it should be fine.
The last thing they want to do is for you to keep bringing the car back for an intermittent issue.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:41 PM

c300
Overnight test drive

Originally Posted by Faast
The problem could be intermittent and going on an extended drive during the working hours might not be economical for the dealership unless you pay the tech salary for missing what ever time the test drive might take.
since they are asking you the permission, I would think it should be fine.
The last thing they want to do is for you to keep bringing the car back for an intermittent issue.
The problem with my car is not intermittent. It’s simple, obvious and addressed by the car system every time I start the engine. It’s on warranty so it is the dealer’s job to pay their employees! Are you the dealer? I am asking because you are turning this conversation in every angle just to justify that overnight test drive.
Go Dawgs (09-27-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 02:42 PM

c300
Loaner

Originally Posted by Max_1
Looks like you have very nice dealer loaner program. This does not work with my local one. Last time (pre-pandemic) I had a loaner there were restrictions: not leaving the state and no more than 100mi per day. So taking loaner on trip for me.

Max
I just got the loaner and same restrictions applied: not leaving the state and no more than 100 miles a day. Also, if you not return it in 12 hours from the time they call you that your car is ready you will pay $75/day late fee. The guy with sweet deal for the loaner is laying or he is MB dealer.
Old 07-20-2022, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
See my earlier post #34. I know from personal experience that dealers will ask to keep (and drive) your car overnight to check that repairs have cleared codes before they return it to you.

If you don't trust the dealership to keep your car overnight (parked outside on a lot exposed to the elements -- or better -- inside a manager's home garage)... then you should not expect the dealership to trust you with an overnight loaner for you to "joy-ride" overnight or for days on end while yours is in the shop.

IMO, you take this position too personally. It's just a car... an implement or tool for you to use temporarily. Even if you ordered the car built as new, you choose to forget the DOZENS of strangers who drive "your" car before you ever see it... factory workers in Germany, truck drivers who stuff "your" car on a trailer or railcar (or both), or those who load it on a ship, or unload it at the US point of entry, the POE people who prep the car before loading on yet more trucks or railcars. If you didn't order the car, and buy it off the dealer lot, several customers have test driven "your" car before you bought it, and if you bought it off-lease, or CPO, you trust that previous owners took good care of "your" car for 2-3 years before you bought it.

Again, it's just a car, not your personal Taj Mahal.

Last edited by DFWdude; 07-20-2022 at 03:11 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DFWdude:
CincyMBGuy (07-20-2022), MB_FanAddict (07-20-2022), pierrejoliat (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,159 Likes on 774 Posts
12 E350 4Matic 13 E350 4Matic AMG Sport
Originally Posted by Max_1

Max
Yes, my main hometown dealer is family owned and sells Volvo's also. They buy their rentals, so it is not through Enterprise or a rental company. I have also bought cars there for almost three decades now, but I don't believe that has much to do with this. Sometimes the owner or his son gives me his demo to drive as well. Maybe it is "Who you know" so I won't mention sometimes they pick it up at my house, leave their car and bring it back when its finished.

Last edited by pierrejoliat; 07-20-2022 at 03:15 PM.
DFWdude (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 03:17 PM

The problem with my car is not intermittent. It’s simple, obvious and addressed by the car system every time I start the engine. It’s on warranty so it is the dealer’s job to pay their employees! Are you the dealer? I am asking because you are turning this conversation in every angle just to justify that overnight test drive.
Is this not an old thread that just got bumped?
Some times problems can not be duplicated in 10 minutes drive and might need a longer drive or their might be other reasons that we might not know. Anyway, you are talking as if you are a mechanic and you know for sure, the car doesn't need that extended drive... if I was the dealer and you came in with that attitude, I will not service your car, period.

Last edited by Faast; 07-20-2022 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-20-2022, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,712 Likes on 2,470 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
geolocated & traceable

I can see a bit of anxiety letting your car be driven home by a non-technician.
Service desks are famous for acting clueless. Factory Trained tecs are granted legitimacy.

These cars are geolocated by GPS and can be traced through cellular (lease repos!) I don't think any dealer employee would risk his job by acting like an idiot, right ?
Old 07-20-2022, 03:42 PM

c300
Wow

Originally Posted by DFWdude
See my earlier post #34. I know from personal experience that dealers will ask to keep (and drive) your car overnight to check that repairs have cleared codes before they return it to you.

If you don't trust the dealership to keep your car overnight (parked outside on a lot exposed to the elements -- or better -- inside a manager's home garage)... then you should not expect the dealership to trust you with an overnight loaner for you to "joy-ride" overnight or for days on end while yours is in the shop.

IMO, you take this position too personally. It's just a car... an implement or tool for you to use temporarily. Even if you ordered the car built as new, you choose to forget the DOZENS of strangers who drive "your" car before you ever see it... factory workers in Germany, truck drivers who stuff "your" car on a trailer or railcar (or both), or those who load it on a ship, or unload it at the US point of entry, the POE people who prep the car before loading on yet more trucks or railcars. If you didn't order the car, and buy it off the dealer lot, several customers have test driven "your" car before you bought it, and if you bought it off-lease, or CPO, you trust that previous owners took good care of "your" car for 2-3 years before you bought it.

Again, it's just a car, not your personal Taj Mahal.
You are absolutely wrong! Since I pay for it, it is my personal Taj Mahal!!!! There is absolutely no need for a worker to take may privet property to his home! I left it in dealership so it should stay there till is fixed! Thank god you forgot about miners who dig for iron ore and steel mill workers. You clearly do not understand. I do not have a problem with mechanics fixing my car. I have a problem when they taking it home! Do you understand?! Do you see the difference?!
Old 07-20-2022, 03:43 PM

You are absolutely wrong! Since I pay for it, it is my personal Taj Mahal!!!! There is absolutely no need for a worker to take may privet property to his home! I left it in dealership so it should stay there till is fixed! Thank god you forgot about miners who dig for iron ore and steel mill workers. You clearly do not understand. I do not have a problem with mechanics fixing my car. I have a problem when they taking it home! Do you understand?! Do you see the difference?!
What car do you drive, an AMG?
Old 07-20-2022, 04:05 PM

c300
Originally Posted by Faast
What car do you drive, an AMG?
Mercedes Benz, the rest do not matter.
Old 07-20-2022, 04:33 PM

Received 361 Likes on 257 Posts
'16 C450, '21 Dad Wagon Pilot, '22 Wrangler 4xe
Who p!$$ed in your Cheerios this morning, why so angry?

On topic, the certified technician isn't some 20 year old porter or lube tech. They are trying to perform a job and as nice as you think your car is, they've been around (and may own) much nicer.

Personally, I would be thrilled by the offer to have a fix expedited off the clock of a VERY expensive technician. The same drive is going to occur if it is to their home overnight or at 2pm to the tune of $150-$250/hr.
The following 2 users liked this post by CincyMBGuy:
DFWdude (07-20-2022), pierrejoliat (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 04:33 PM

Mercedes Benz, the rest do not matter.
LOL
The following 3 users liked this post by Faast:
CincyMBGuy (07-20-2022), CLK500JB (03-23-2024), pierrejoliat (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Pay attention, as I have tried to be nice until now. In my experience, those who demonstrate an unwillingness to trust their valued possessions to others trying to help them... display a sense of disregard for the property of others as well, usually leading them to be among the first to thrash a rental car, or drive a dealer loaner like they stole it. I'd ask if you understand that, but I won't as the entirety of your 8 newbie posts to date have been in this thread, all of them negative. You clearly care only about yourself and your precious Mercedes-Benz.

I've owned Mercedes-Benzes for the last 22 years. They are complicated vehicles, not immune to very complicated issues that sometimes necessitate overnight evaluation of solutions as I have already noted twice for you, without your acknowledgement. Without an open mind to this, I guarantee you will later regale us with your whining that you've visited the dealer multiple times chasing the same problem, taxing the dealer's patience, and ours. If you are unwilling to understand that, then I wager you will not own a Mercedes-Benz (or other high-end vehicle) for long.

Last edited by DFWdude; 07-20-2022 at 06:03 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by DFWdude:
C2 Turbo (07-20-2022), CincyMBGuy (07-20-2022), pierrejoliat (07-20-2022), rapidoxidation (07-20-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer Tech wants to take my car home overnight