E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

W212 Command Navigation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
E300-4matic
W212 Command Navigation

I have a 2010 E350 sedan and in 2013 I wasted $250 on an update disc for the navigation system. I must say MB is consistent, their navigation systems are awful, I have literally given up using the MB navigation system as 99% of the time the route the system gives is almost always not the best route or the fastest. So, instead of paying for updates for a flawed system I invest about the same amount of money and get myself a new Garmin brand GPS which is head and shoulders above updating the MB command unit. Garmin gives you real time traffic info as well routes that really are the fastest. I was told that the unit being used in the new S class car is made by Garmin but I am not sure about this info, if anyone knows for sure please post a reply confirming this.
1Guitar
Old 03-07-2015, 01:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 E320 Bluetec (until 11/14), 2001 SLK 320, 2004 Volvo V70, 1972 MGB, 2013 E350
I actually like the Nav system in my 2013. I get real time traffic updates via the Sirius radio. The W212 system is light years ahead of of the W211 I owned. Map updates are a waste of money usually. I have a Garmin that I move between my Volvo and the SLK. It works just fine also.I also understand that the new generation of Nav systems will be done by Garmin integrated into the COMAND system. It was announced in 2013 and would be integrated in over the following 4 years.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 E350 Sport
Ever since I started using the Waze app I havent used my in car nav once. Waze does it all!
Old 03-07-2015, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
Originally Posted by 1guitar
I have a 2010 E350 sedan and in 2013 I wasted $250 on an update disc for the navigation system. I must say MB is consistent, their navigation systems are awful, I have literally given up using the MB navigation system as 99% of the time the route the system gives is almost always not the best route or the fastest. So, instead of paying for updates for a flawed system I invest about the same amount of money and get myself a new Garmin brand GPS which is head and shoulders above updating the MB command unit. Garmin gives you real time traffic info as well routes that really are the fastest. I was told that the unit being used in the new S class car is made by Garmin but I am not sure about this info, if anyone knows for sure please post a reply confirming this.
1Guitar

You might be thinking of the nav data. What was NAVTEC, was bought by Garmin and is now the navigation provider for many units that formerly used NAVTEC.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 386 Likes on 315 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
+1 for Waze. I actually set my phone on the ledge in front of the screen when I am navigating on longer trips.

Everyone once and a while I remember that my car has built-in in nav, but if I use it at all it's only to view side streets in case I need to circumvent a traffic situation or closure. When I first got the car (about a year ago) I was looking for deals on nav updates, sharing discs, etc. Now I am glad I didn't spend a dime on that.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 E63s
Does the waze app talk thru the stereo in the W212?
Old 03-10-2015, 12:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C250
Originally Posted by WildWolf
It should if you link it via your bluetooth
The following users liked this post:
Wahz (08-08-2023)
Old 03-10-2015, 05:45 PM

2011 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by WildWolf
Mine does! There is no better nav than Waze.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Do you guys using Waze mount your phone? Just wondering how you look at it and if a relatively small phone screen (compared to Comand) is a problem.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:21 AM

2011 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by noka
Do you guys using Waze mount your phone? Just wondering how you look at it and if a relatively small phone screen (compared to Comand) is a problem.
I have a holder that slides into the AC vent. Works perfect.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 386 Likes on 315 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I haven't gotten a mount yet as I can't decide on a good spot and I don't use it very often for nav. So I mostly rest it on the ledge by the comand screen or prop it up in front of the climate control when I need to see it while driving. However, whenever I take off from a stop it tends to fall.

I am a little wary of clip holders because I am not sure if the vent slats are strong enough. There is another thread(s) on phone mounts with some cool ideas for the ashtray and other spots.

In order to hear waze (or any other phone app) over the car speakers you need to link BT and have comand in BT audio mode or use the 3.5mm adapter and put it in aux mode. So it works great if you are streaming music or playing files off your phone already. If you are in the other modes (radio, media register, etc.), then the car will not pick up the turn by turn audio. It would only play over the phone speaker.

Screen size is not an issue on my 6 inch LG Flex. It was still good enough on my 4.3 inch GS3 that I had before. The waze graphics are so clean and simple. It's really about how easy and intuitive waze with google-like search is compared to how poorly the built-in nav works IMO. For example, my work calendar has the address of the meeting in the calendar item. Waze interfaces with that so when I open waze it asks me if I am going to that location. One touch and I am on my way. In addition to traffic, other users post warnings on road issues and speedtraps. During my last long roadtrip there had to be about 12 speedtraps warnings and there were cops still at more than half of them when I passed.

It's free so give it a try before you buy anything else.

Last edited by thefisch; 03-11-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C250
Originally Posted by thefisch
I haven't gotten a mount yet as I can't decide on a good spot and I don't use it very often for nav. So I mostly rest it on the ledge by the comand screen or prop it up in front of the climate control when I need to see it while driving. However, whenever I take off from a stop it tends to fall.

I am a little wary of clip holders because I am not sure if the vent slats are strong enough. There is another thread(s) on phone mounts with some cool ideas for the ashtray and other spots.

In order to hear waze (or any other phone app) over the car speakers you need to link BT and have comand in BT audio mode or use the 3.5mm adapter and put it in aux mode. So it works great if you are streaming music or playing files off your phone already. If you are in the other modes (radio, media register, etc.), then the car will not pick up the turn by turn audio. It would only play over the phone speaker.

Screen size is not an issue on my 6 inch LG Flex. It was still good enough on my 4.3 inch GS3 that I had before. The waze graphics are so clean and simple. It's really about how easy and intuitive waze with google-like search is compared to how poorly the built-in nav works IMO. For example, my work calendar has the address of the meeting in the calendar item. Waze interfaces with that so when I open waze it asks me if I am going to that location. One touch and I am on my way. In addition to traffic, other users post warnings on road issues and speedtraps. During my last long roadtrip there had to be about 12 speedtraps warnings and there were cops still at more than half of them when I passed.

It's free so give it a try before you buy anything else.
Did you try the iOttie car mount? I like it very much!!
Old 03-11-2015, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by 1guitar
I have a 2010 E350 sedan and in 2013 I wasted $250 on an update disc for the navigation system. I must say MB is consistent, their navigation systems are awful, I have literally given up using the MB navigation system as 99% of the time the route the system gives is almost always not the best route or the fastest.
Sorry, I disagree with your conclusion on MB's Navi system. Last fall, I drove over 6500 km through eight western and south-west states. The Navi system in my then 2013 E350BT never made a single error, always correctly guiding us to each new destination.

For 2014/2015, MB has changed the Navi to a Garmin based system. So far, I have no complaints.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:38 PM

2011 E350 Sport
I havent had any errors with my MB nav, but my experience is that using Waze gives me the best by far driving experience. For my daily commute I have 2 route options, based on Waze to and from work it gives me the most efficient route. Oh did I mention it tells me when cops are ahead?!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:30 PM

W212 E550 4matic
+1 (or is several) on using Waze. While I've never had an issue using the in-car nav (other than a nagging km/mile issue upon start-up that I mention in another post), the Waze app is so much more dynamic. I recently used it on a 1,000 mile road trip to and back from Florida...not only did it give me advance warning of road issues and speed traps, it also re-routed me several times for traffic issues on I-95.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:03 PM

E 250
Originally Posted by Reckenrod
+1 (or is several) on using Waze. While I've never had an issue using the in-car nav (other than a nagging km/mile issue upon start-up that I mention in another post), the Waze app is so much more dynamic. I recently used it on a 1,000 mile road trip to and back from Florida...not only did it give me advance warning of road issues and speed traps, it also re-routed me several times for traffic issues on I-95.
I usually have both running on long trips.

The built in nav system does a good job rerouting based on traffic conditions (I believe you need to have Sirus/XM to get the traffic updates).

But I also use Waze for the road warning - mostly speed traps as well as other hazards.

I use this:

Amazon.com: Kenu Airframe+ Car Mount for Phablets: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Kenu Airframe+ Car Mount for Phablets: Cell Phones & Accessories

so I can see the iPhone running Waze.