Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by pamiboy
Here's what happened (Monk...).
Normally the engine would not start if the key is outside the car. If only one door sensor is recognizing the key the engine would not start. The sensors in the dash and most of the doors recognize the key if it is within three feet (I think) distance which usually happens only if you are inside the car.
But...the engineers did not count on someone placing the key on top of the car. It turns out that the key would be within the sensing range of all sensors and the car thinks the key is inside and started .

In skromfols's case most likely the car chimed the absence of key as soon as it fell off but the driver wasn't paying attention to it until few miles passed .
I put the key on top of the car, got in an closed the door, then pushed the button -> dash message that key was not detected. I pushed the button a second time and it started. So it's on the edge of detection I guess.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 935 Likes on 661 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by noka
It makes sense that the car would still be running, until shut off when it could not be started again. I didn't think the key would work if not inside the car but never tried it.
That's why I asked as my car for sure will not start without the key inside the car. On top of the car no go.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
I tested my car today. With the Key on top, absolutely no problem, starts as usual.
I tried on the hood as well. If I place the key closer to the windshield (on the hood) it will work, but if placed midway between the grill and windshield, the car won't start. I guess it depends on the battery status of the key as well.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by pamiboy
I tested my car today. With the Key on top, absolutely no problem, starts as usual.
I tried on the hood as well. If I place the key closer to the windshield (on the hood) it will work, but if placed midway between the grill and windshield, the car won't start. I guess it depends on the battery status of the key as well.
Maybe both play a factor. Also, I have a pano roof and maybe that is better for transmission to inside.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Jaguar XE (TDI)
And since the CLK has a cloth roof our car has no problem starting with the key up there.