E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Faded Walnut Trim - covered by warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 02:44 PM

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
W212, R171
My SA mention the whole kit would be around 2K, I learned from another SA that labor is around 4.5 hours, plus a few push pins if they break any during installation.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:14 PM

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
2000 E430 Sport
Reading these posts about kits arriving in 2 or 3 weeks has me vexed. My SA told me 6 months...and that was back in January. When asked for an update, SA says he has no ETA for the kit. Might be time to reach back out to MBUSA.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 & E350
Originally Posted by retna7
Reading these posts about kits arriving in 2 or 3 weeks has me vexed. My SA told me 6 months...and that was back in January. When asked for an update, SA says he has no ETA for the kit. Might be time to reach back out to MBUSA.
Wow thats crazy. I took my two week ago for service and I mentioned the faded trim. They kept the car for a few days and changed it. You should definitely contact MBUSA.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550
I would. Mine took less than a month. I'm dropping the car off tomorrow to have it all replaced and I only bought the car 3 weeks ago or so.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 386 Likes on 315 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by cc16177
I would. Mine took less than a month. I'm dropping the car off tomorrow to have it all replaced and I only bought the car 3 weeks ago or so.
Be sure they replace all the trim parts, not just the ones that look faded.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Did they replace the narrow wood strips along the lower edges of the four door armrests?
Old 07-09-2015, 08:53 PM

2000 E430 Sport
Just off the phone with MBUSA with no solution. MBUSA customer service states that the wood grain kits are on back order and that they would call the dealership to see if they can obtain an ETA but made no promises. Customer service agent states there is no way these kits are available in two weeks. Wow.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:04 PM

2011 E550
Originally Posted by thefisch
Be sure they replace all the trim parts, not just the ones that look faded.
Well they told me the whole process is a 3-4 hour job so i'm assuming they must be replacing all of it... i'll post an update when I get the car back in a couple days.

In the meantime i'm driving a CLA250 as a loaner and I have to say it makes me SO HAPPY I went with a used E instead of a new CLA or C class...
Old 07-09-2015, 09:06 PM

2011 E550
Just off the phone with MBUSA with no solution. MBUSA customer service states that the wood grain kits are on back order and that they would call the dealership to see if they can obtain an ETA but made no promises. Customer service agent states there is no way these kits are available in two weeks. Wow.
Honestly they had told me it would be a long time and I happened to be at the dealer getting a car wash so I spoke with a service rep at the desk there...

I was very polite and pretended like I didn't care how fast it came "oh I have plenty of time I just want to make sure it gets taken care of eventually" which is actually closer to the truth than not...

Anyways, she says "wow you are more patient than anyone else around here, let me see what I can do" and bam 2-3 weeks later it's being taken care of.

Maybe it's worth an actual stop at the dealer and some good ol' friendliness.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:24 PM

2000 E430 Sport
Honestly they had told me it would be a long time and I happened to be at the dealer getting a car wash so I spoke with a service rep at the desk there...

I was very polite and pretended like I didn't care how fast it came "oh I have plenty of time I just want to make sure it gets taken care of eventually" which is actually closer to the truth than not...

Anyways, she says "wow you are more patient than anyone else around here, let me see what I can do" and bam 2-3 weeks later it's being taken care of.

Maybe it's worth an actual stop at the dealer and some good ol' friendliness.
Yup. Called them first. They're the ones who told me no ETA is available - hadn't contacted them since January so my patience is on full display. Actually felt very much the same as you about the wait - until I read these posts. Seems as though games are being played. Same dealership where I purchased the vehicle. They originally refused to replace the wood grain under my CPO ELW and directed me to contact MBUSA which approved the replacement. Hopefully contacting MBUSA customer service will get some results.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:45 PM

2011 E550
Yup. Called them first. They're the ones who told me no ETA is available - hadn't contacted them since January so my patience is on full display. Actually felt very much the same as you about the wait - until I read these posts. Seems as though games are being played. Same dealership where I purchased the vehicle. They originally refused to replace the wood grain under my CPO ELW and directed me to contact MBUSA which approved the replacement. Hopefully contacting MBUSA customer service will get some results.
Well, one difference that may make you feel better is that mine is being replaced under factory warranty rather than CPO. Not that it should make a difference but maybe they are prioritizing factory replacements before CPO?

I was told it could not be replaced under CPO warranty at all and actually had them order the wood on the LAST day of the factory warranty (a few days before I even officially bought the car) so I would actually feel lucky they even agreed to replace yours at all...

Not saying it's "OK" for it to take this long but there's a little justification for you...
Old 07-09-2015, 10:04 PM

2000 E430 Sport
Well, one difference that may make you feel better is that mine is being replaced under factory warranty rather than CPO. Not that it should make a difference but maybe they are prioritizing factory replacements before CPO?

I was told it could not be replaced under CPO warranty at all and actually had them order the wood on the LAST day of the factory warranty (a few days before I even officially bought the car) so I would actually feel lucky they even agreed to replace yours at all...

Not saying it's "OK" for it to take this long but there's a little justification for you...
Actually, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks brother. The fact that I was approved for a replacement at all is a wonder. You're right...even if it takes a year at least its being replaced for free - although I'd be even more lucky if they'd give me the cash instead. Keep the kit - I'll take the $2000.

Last edited by retna7; 07-09-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:29 PM

2011 E550
Actually, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks brother. The fact that I was approved for a replacement at all is a wonder. You're right...even if it takes a year at least its being replaced for free - although I'd be even more lucky if they'd give me the cash instead. Keep the kit - I'll take the $2000.
Glad I could help! Good luck.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I expect part of the delay is real (some dealers may have kits in stock while others don't) but some may be a strategy to see if the owner ever follows up. If your lease expires or you sell the car while you were waiting, then they don't necessarily have to do it for the new owner.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:26 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
...but, is it any skin of the dealer's back to do the warranty work to replace the wood? They'll get reimbursed by Merc for their time and certainly aren't paying for the parts out of their pocket. While they may not make as much from Merc on warranty work than from paying customers, something is better than nothing. What does the dealer gain by putting off the customer with warranty work?

When a leased Merc is turned back in, does that dealership have the first right of refusal to buy it? If they do, I think it's to their advantage to have the car in as good of shape as possible - selling one with faded wood has to be a harder sale than one with good wood.

Other than a dealer being lazy, what am I missing?
Old 07-10-2015, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Those are all good points. I am just suspicious about how this faded wood is being handled in general - maybe it's how MBUSA handles it and not the dealer's fault. For one, the customer has to bring it up and complain as stated in the TSB. Unless you are familiar with the issue from reading about it here, most folks won't realize their wood is faded. Ideally the dealer would point out the issue when they see the car for routine service and ask if the customer would like it addressed. But when I asked about this at my dealer, the SA told me that they're told not to bring it up, the customer has too. MBUSA will only cover it if they document that the customer complains. Maybe some dealers are doing their customers a favor and bringing it up - you would think they would do that so they'd get the work. Then you read about a situation like the OP's where they just replace one piece.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:03 PM

2011 E550
Those are all good points. I am just suspicious about how this faded wood is being handled in general - maybe it's how MBUSA handles it and not the dealer's fault. For one, the customer has to bring it up and complain as stated in the TSB. Unless you are familiar with the issue from reading about it here, most folks won't realize their wood is faded. Ideally the dealer would point out the issue when they see the car for routine service and ask if the customer would like it addressed. But when I asked about this at my dealer, the SA told me that they're told not to bring it up, the customer has too. MBUSA will only cover it if they document that the customer complains. Maybe some dealers are doing their customers a favor and bringing it up - you would think they would do that so they'd get the work. Then you read about a situation like the OP's where they just replace one piece.
Update... Just picked up the car. They definitely replaced all of it and it looks SO much better.

Fisch if youre ever in Miami I owe you a drink! Never would've asked about replacing the trim without your recommendation.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan

Others have had the same reaction when they see the new wood. They didn't realize how faded the old wood was. Hopefully it will not fade again. The window tint should help with that. For now, just enjoy looking at your car.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:10 PM

2011 E550

Others have had the same reaction when they see the new wood. They didn't realize how faded the old wood was. Hopefully it will not fade again. The window tint should help with that. For now, just enjoy looking at your car.
Yeah i'm pretty shocked with the difference. When you initially mentioned it from the photos I had posted I was like "man he has good eyes to notice that from pictures" but now that i've seen what it SHOULD look like I totally understand how you picked it out.

Especially after driving the CLA250 the last two days I feel like I got a whole new car all over again!!
Old 07-11-2015, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
It's just one of those common problems on the 2010/2011 models (and apparently some later ones too) that you see in sales photos all the time. It helps that I look at my faded wood everyday too.

And I forgot about the euphoria of getting your E back after being in the loaner. Sometimes that's enough itself to make you appreciate your car.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:02 PM

2011 E550
It's just one of those common problems on the 2010/2011 models (and apparently some later ones too) that you see in sales photos all the time. It helps that I look at my faded wood everyday too.

And I forgot about the euphoria of getting your E back after being in the loaner. Sometimes that's enough itself to make you appreciate your car.
Yeah originally it was more convenient for me to take the loaner for 5 days and they had approved paying for it but after two days with it I went out of my way to get my car back... lol
Old 08-03-2015, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
just had mine replaced last week. Took about 2 weeks for the new wood to get here just like the SA said. HUGE difference!! Still can't believe I was driving with my wood trim like that lol
Old 08-03-2015, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550
Originally Posted by MBSebas87
just had mine replaced last week. Took about 2 weeks for the new wood to get here just like the SA said. HUGE difference!! Still can't believe I was driving with my wood trim like that lol
You don't realize how much your wood has faded until you see the new wood. I was amazed since i also bought the car and didn't realize the wood had faded.

Glad you are happy with the new wood.