E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Panoramic roof question rear sunshade related

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 09:12 PM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E550 4Matic Sport P2
Panoramic roof question rear sunshade related

I purchased a used 2010 w212 p2. I realized that the rear section of the roof appears to have the sunshade missing.... there are two small plastic pieces in the track of the roof but no rod or shade is present. Does anyone have an assembly schematic of what SHOULD have been in this place? Does the shade retract into the support pillar in the middle of the roof where the front section does and move to the back, or is it typically in the headliner at the rear of the car and pulls forward? As the parts seem to be removed all together, having a knowledge or what SHOULD have been there will allow me to isolate a better understanding of what is missing to enable me to work with the dealership I purchased it from that is located out of state.

Thank you so much for your time and help.

The front sections sunshade works perfectly as does the one on the rear window.... it's just the rear panoramic section that is missing/not functional.

Or while I can not imagine it that it's likely, is there not a sunshade for the back half of the pano roof in the w212?

Last edited by Abrown3mtg; 06-16-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
there is a sunshade in the rear portion of the pano roof and it moves when the front section opens/closes. Unlike the S class, it can not move independent of the front screen. I have a 2010 with P2 and pano roof.

If there is no shade in the rear of the pano moving when the front section is moving it is quite simply missing? I would contact the dealer because you will want this sunshade. Don't know where you are located but no matter where the sun shines you will want to block it at some point. Good Luck.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by mnje350
there is a sunshade in the rear portion of the pano roof and it moves when the front section opens/closes. Unlike the S class, it can not move independent of the front screen. I have a 2010 with P2 and pano roof.

If there is no shade in the rear of the pano moving when the front section is moving it is quite simply missing? I would contact the dealer because you will want this sunshade. Don't know where you are located but no matter where the sun shines you will want to block it at some point. Good Luck.
Thank you for your response.

When the rear sunshade rolls up (is open), is it stored in the center pillar like the front one, or in the rear of the car and opens forward directionally like the front (opening outward from the center support pillar towards both ends of the car). When the front sun shade is closed, you can see the shade retracted, the rear of mine does not have this, It's difficult to explain, however I'm curious if the shade broke free and wrapped up with the front shade, or was literally removed entirely from the vehicle. I'm also curious if there is a motor or some other elastic type of retaining system to "pull" the shade in the direction it needs to go to open.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Both front and rear shades eminate from the center bar and are stored there when closed. I have never heard of a missing shade. If you were not informed of this I would raise cane with that dealer.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:05 PM

That's what I thought. Do you know if the motor for the rear shade is located in the back of the car by the rear window or in the middle pillar/support? I can see where the little latches are that the support rods for the shade once were but they were removed/broken out. I am NOT happy about this at all and have been talking with the owner of the dealership. I got a great deal on the vehicle, and despite the warranty have done little things like repairing the comand knob that broke without making a claim. I enjoy spinning a wrench and have access to a fully equipped shop so at an advantage... the sunshade on the other hand is not something I am willing to forgo.... I will turn the warped front rotors on a lathe or just buy new ones, replace a few airmatic components that need addressing (they pay for the parts), but the shade I need to at minimum determine the full part list that is missing so I can address it without a trip to the dealership which I believe will be more likely to start a legal proceeding than efficiently having it fixed....

I'm pretty confident the shade malfunctioned and rather than repairing it, the front was retracted and the assembly was literally torn out... the rear roof and pillar panels are a touch loose so it was removed at some point and not re installed 100% correctly. I HATE interior panel work!!
Old 06-17-2015, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
I assumed it was one motor that operated both shades. You will need to get someone here to post the repair manual section for the shades. It sounds like an expensive fix to me. Bummer
Old 06-17-2015, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350 BlueTec, 2011 VW Jetta TDI
I took a couple of shots of the panoroof for you to see.
The shades for front and rear panels are stored in the centre and both retracts or expands simultaneously when you press the button.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by DC-IT
I took a couple of shots of the panoroof for you to see.
The shades for front and rear panels are stored in the centre and both retracts or expands simultaneously when you press the button.

Thank you!

That helped a lot. Ironically I went into the dealership near my house and got the part diagram and some pricing. It looks like a replacement shade (front and rear are 1 part) is 468, the cable is 113, and the two brackets that the rear of the shade are supported by are 41. The labor is 8 hours @ 136/hr. There is VERY little I will not do myself on a car and a friend of mine is an indy mercedes mechanic but I'm hesitant to do that all myself as I want zero rattles and body panels NEVER go back together as well as how they come from the factory.

Where the diagram fails to make any sense is that the front shade appears to have a cable that runs from the front of the overhead area and pulls the front shade open. The rear does not appear to have anything to support or tension the rear portion of the shade to pull it back... with how flimsy this portion of the shade is, I can't imagine simply unrolling pulls it to the rear. Can you see a cable or anything that draws it to the rear? I need a part list for the dealer that I purchased it from to make the claim and I don't fully understand the mechanics of the shades rear operation. If any of you have had the system apart and know how that rear shade is pushed backwards or pulled backwards that knowledge would be great.

Alternatively if someone has access to the service manual for a sunshade replacement I would be forever in your debt!
Old 06-18-2015, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
The shade is taught in the back as well as the front. The tracks look identical to me, so I would assume there is a cable pulling both front and rear shades into position.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:33 PM

Part 250 are the cables that drive... the rears do not show any parts that would offer the tension which is my confusion and the current (320) brackets in the rear that the shade was removed from flop around like an abacus (chinese counting thing/calculator).... when the front screen actuates nothing moves in the rear. I know the diagrams are never really accurate but that seems like a pretty significant item that is missing.... When I talked to the tech at the dealership they did not even know the shade f/r was one piece so anything they said couldn't point me in the right direction.

Has anyone here replaced it or could they point me in a direction of where I can access a service manual?

Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
http://workshop-manuals.com/mercedes...ion/locations/ + next pages
Old 07-17-2015, 04:53 AM

I wanted to circle back to this as I have closure to the issue in the event anyone else runs into this.

I pulled the rear of the headliner down and exposed a few torx head screws that can be removed holding the track in place. (first remove the rear center section of the headliner with a tug, and both rear grab handles). you can then carefully pry down the back of the track to replace the little shade retainers (which were broken in my case). replace them and replace the screws. Carefully pull the shade back, wrapped upon itself and then it sort of rolls over into the new brackets.

What isn't shown in the diagram is the front cables/rods "push" the small retainers backwards to hold the shade closed. when open, this rod moves back to the front of the car allowing it to close. It is similar to a window shade and is spring loaded. The rod is in the track itself and about the only way to even see it is to shine a flashlight upwards in the car and see it in the reflection. While the Service Manual would like you to drop the entire headliner and track, you can do this from the rear but it requires a bit of finesse so be careful. Also be careful as you can tear the shade (I nicked mine), and the brackets are easy to break. I discovered the "roll the shade onto the bracket technique after breaking one of the replacements while attempting to put them both into the shade and slide it on assembled from the rear. Epoxy is curing now and hopefully will fix it so I don't have to drop the headliner again!!! It isn't terribly hard to do and much better than the 1000-1200 in labor Benz charges
Old 07-17-2015, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
Thanks for coming back with your solution. That is what this site is all about.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:35 AM

Absolutely! I will shed my "noob" status on this forum and earn my stripes eventually! I've been extremely active on other sites with Jeeps, diesels, Range Rovers, and Bimmers... easier to focus on things here now that I'm down to a single forum.... and vehicle!
Old 12-27-2018, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
14 E63S Sedan
I just got a 14 E63S with pano roof and the rear shade is stuck closed (filtering sun) but the front shade is operating properly. Anyone have any thoughts on why the rear shade is not working? Thank you, Kevin