E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Radar detector

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mercedes Benz E350
Radar detector

So with the car coming I figured I would dust off my Valentine One that has been sitting on the shelf for the last 10 years.

I was just wandering if you guys even use those (radar detectors) anymore? I was thinking maybe doing an update on it but with options such as Waze it may not even be worth it.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Looks like they have an iPhone app for it now.

Last edited by Cygan; 07-14-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:44 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 S550 Iridium / Black Nappa, 2015 GL 550 Paladium Silver
If you are planning to use the V1 a "tune up" is definitely in order. Depending on age / model of your unit they can only update to the latest revision your hardware will support. I don't recall the cut over on hardware. The V1 site will tell you what you can do based on the model / serial number.

We are running the Passport Max in the wife's ML and a Beltronics STiR+ on my 550 with the Midcity Engineering interface thought the instrument cluster. If we were keeping the ML for the long term I would do the same on it.

I've been out of the RD game for a few years so sure others will chime in with more up to date information.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:20 PM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
2012 E350 sedan
Passport and Valentine are the best of the breed

Originally Posted by Cygan
So with the car coming I figured I would dust off my Valentine One that has been sitting on the shelf for the last 10 years.

I was just wandering if you guys even use those (radar detectors) anymore? I was thinking maybe doing an update on it but with options such as Waze it may not even be worth it.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Looks like they have an iPhone app for it now.
As previously posted, your V1 need an upgrade, assuming it is not too old. I think the general consensus among independent testers is that the Passport has more sensitivity and false alarm control and the V1 is almost as good and is the only one that gives threat direction. I like that feature so I have a V1 but Passport has lots of fans. I think both now have options to GPS log false alarm sources to reduce nuisance alerts.
I think Car and driver did a test in the past year.

I only use mine on trips out of town and since there are very long distances between towns, false alarms are not much of an issue. I use Waze too and love it but it does not replace a detector because police move and Waze does not help you if a speed trap is set on a lightly used rural road which is where I like to really open it up and have some fun. Also Waze does not help you if you are in a poor cell phone coverage area which is common in the rural or mountain west. My detector have saved me many times where Waze was "blind".
Old 07-14-2015, 06:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2009 Subaru WRX, 2011 E550
V1

I use my V1 in the E550 and love it. The only gripe is in the past year or so some Mazdas and some Volvos will give a false alarm. It is the auto-cruise control feature or some other driver assist system that sets it off. I guess V1 is aware of it however, there is not a fix that I have found yet.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
watch out for lasers :o