Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014e350
how often should you drive your car and for how long to maintain parts

Old 07-10-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
---
What kind of question is this? I'd like to add more, but its apparent that you're just trying to boost your post count.

Drive your car as much as you need to and replace parts when needed. Yup, good plan. I can continue to help you here, but you need to give me budget $$
Old 07-12-2015, 04:07 PM
Banned

2014e350
If you dont understand the question dont respond...nobody needs your advice

QUOTE=wasupdu;6492968]What kind of question is this? I'd like to add more, but its apparent that you're just trying to boost your post count.

Drive your car as much as you need to and replace parts when needed. Yup, good plan. I can continue to help you here, but you need to give me budget $$[/QUOTE]
Old 07-12-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 E320 Bluetec (until 11/14), 2001 SLK 320, 2004 Volvo V70, 1972 MGB, 2013 E350
I understand your question. I have an SLK320 that I drive about 1500 miles a year. Whenever I drive it, I always try to get it up to full operating temperature and drive it at least a few miles after that. This ensures that any condensation in the exhaust system is boiled away. Other than that, getting it serviced at regular prescribed intervals is the best thing that you can do. In between services a visual inspection of fluids that you can check is also a good idea.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
---
Originally Posted by 2014e350
You asked two questions. How often should you drive the car and should you maintain parts. Re-read your questions, dumbass. You want me to tell you how often to drive? Do you want me to also tell you that parts should be maintained? I'd be afraid to be the 2nd owner of that car.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:53 PM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E550 4Matic Sport P2
In addition to bringing the car to full operating temperatures and circulating fluids, if you are not driving it often, invest in a battery tender.... The car sitting and draining it will strain it's useful lifespan as well as draw much more current from you alternator to replenish it when it is taken out.... The 30 dollars to invest in one is well worth it.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550
Originally Posted by wasupdu
You asked two questions. How often should you drive the car and should you maintain parts. Re-read your questions, dumbass. You want me to tell you how often to drive? Do you want me to also tell you that parts should be maintained? I'd be afraid to be the 2nd owner of that car.
I have a feeling English is not his first language. Nothing wrong with that, but it explains his sentence structure.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:20 PM

Mercedes E 200 CDI Elegance
If it is a Diesel and you only drive short trips, you should at least every second week drive a longer trip, at least 65 miles and minimum speed 60 mph.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Question is clear enough. How often should you drive the car and for how long each time so that parts are maintained. At least that is the way I understand it.
Back in the old Army, we called it "exercising" the vehicles.
CarolinaBluetec gave good advice.
One thing is to drive it at least every few weeks long enough to recharge the battery. Short trips tend to not recharge it sufficiently. By short, I mean 5-10 minutes.
I try to take mine out and cruise for at least an hour or more once a month unless I have made a trip in it.
I don't think speed or distance is that critical, just the time car is moving.
Welcome to the forum and Happy Motoring

Last edited by El Cid; 07-13-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
I don't have specifics but if you're in a cold region, I read that letting your car sit to long (2-3 weeks at a time) can affect the air suspension negatively.

In my experience, I'd also add that giving it a good push every now and then (80-95 mph) for a minute or so seems to help the car prepare for future explosive driving moments. I've heard this from the older guys throughout life pretty much for any car so I've kind of stuck with that philosophy.

Remember safety first though LOL.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
These cars are meant to be driven, not simply take up a bay in your garage to be looked at. Drive your car at least a couple of times per week for at least an hour or more to keep the battery fully charged and everything properly lubricated.

When you do drive it, try to do a combination of local and highway driving. Don't be afraid to push your car up to triple digits once and a while. Almost all of these cars were designed to be driven on the Autobahn every single day. So they won't fall apart, if you push them a little bit here in this country once and a while.

If all you want to do is simply look at the car while it sits in your garage, then you wasted your money buying a MB or any luxury vehicle for that matter.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:42 PM

2005 ML 270 CDI, 2004 E270 CDI, 2006 CLK55 AMG
Due to the type of work I do outside my country for 3 months at a time, I often wondered myself if it was harmful to the car leaving it for long periods of time without being run. Normally when I get home the battery is flat (I am going to get a battery tender) and the tyres have flat spots on them. ( I try to counteract this by inflating them a bit harder while the car is standing)
The car certainly needs a rest after I've been home on leave, from my enjoying driving it so much , I'm sure I put on more mileage in those 3 weeks than someone using it as a daily driver for 3 months. I just stick to the normal service intervals and keep a cover on it while I'm away.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars no longer need to be driven hard or at high speeds to "burn out the carbon." Not sure they ever did or that was just an excuse for men to go out and accelerate real fast and drive at high speeds.
There is absolutely no need to exceed the speed limit in order to maintain your car in good running order. That is another myth, autobahn driving included.
Nor do you need to drive it twice a week for an hour each time.
While the cars are designed to drive fast and hard (as most cars are), they are also designed to drive slowly and sporadically.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Everyday for exactly 500 miles is optimal.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:24 PM
Banned

2014e350
Thanks for the few rational responses or at least attempts at such above...its sad that reading comprehension is lacking still in the educational system assuming the few trolls above/below have made it past an elementary education. One point is some of us prefer certain vehicles for regular driving but use others less frequently, on occasion as per whim. Use of money is personal/relative.

Originally Posted by rediesel
Everyday for exactly 500 miles is optimal.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Welcome to the forum and don't let the trolls get you down. There will always be a few and sometimes people are too quick to respond before really underestand the posts. Add to this the small screen size that many read from while they are in motion.
Regardless, keep asking and inputing comments here.
One of my interests is classic cars and I read several magazines on them. Surprisingly, many owners only drive their cars for a few miles each month and they suffer no ill effects.
And these are cars from the 30's-60's when very frequent matintenance was required and seals and lubricants didn't last long.
Happy Motoring!
Old 07-14-2015, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the few rational responses or at least attempts at such above...its sad that reading comprehension is lacking still in the educational system assuming the few trolls above/below have made it past an elementary education. One point is some of us prefer certain vehicles for regular driving but use others less frequently, on occasion as per whim. Use of money is personal/relative.
Hey newbie - that is your your current title around here. I have a MS and a PhD in Chemistry from Yale. Care to share your education achievements? Based on your syntax you could use some remedial courses in English. The problem isn't my reading comprehension the problem is your poor question.

Beyond that I have pretty good working knowledge of automobiles. I understand the concept of having multiple vehicles that are used for a sole purpose or a whim. My 507 often sits for months without driving it - I don't think I've driven it for a week or two and this is it's peak season.

The bottom line is you ask a dumb question and you will get a dumb answer. At least I knew my answer was dumb when gave it.

Last edited by rediesel; 07-14-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014e350: Please do let some people here discourage you from using this forum.
Your question was correct and very clear to any objective reader. I and several others had no problem understanding it.
I have advanced degrees and have worked in high level professional jobs where verbal and written communications were critical-lives depended on it. It was also critical that we made sure we understood written communications when we read them.
A PhD in chemistry from Yale does not mean you know more than other people or that you are smarter, especially about language and how to use it. Same applies to MD's for that matter.
The purpose of this forum is to share information and comment on MB vehicles and issues. Not to seek ways to demean others by misinterpreting their comments, as rediesel and wasupdu have done.
One feature on this forum is the ignore list.
Go to your username under the rear bumper on upper right hand side, select user CP, from list on left side, select edit ignore list, type in user name of person you wish to ignore. rediesel and wasupdu may be two to start with.
And please continue to post and ask questions. There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who didn't try to understand the question.
Happy Motoring!
Old 07-14-2015, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

El Cid when the OP has asked this

then responds to another member like this

Then quotes me and says this..

I'm going to defend myself. Maybe I was hard on the 9 post newbie; maybe I thought he needed a dose of reality. Didn't mean to offend you or anyone else.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:41 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by rediesel
Hey newbie - that is your your current title around here. I have a MS and a PhD in Chemistry from Yale. Care to share your education achievements? Based on your syntax you could use some remedial courses in English. The problem isn't my reading comprehension the problem is your poor question.

Beyond that I have pretty good working knowledge of automobiles. I understand the concept of having multiple vehicles that are used for a sole purpose or a whim. My 507 often sits for months without driving it - I don't think I've driven it for a week or two and this is it's peak season.

The bottom line is you ask a dumb question and you will get a dumb answer. At least I knew my answer was dumb when gave it.
I wouldn't say the question was very clear, but if you couldn't understand it and had to post a meaningless reply, it makes me think you should ask Yale for a refund.

And who cares about your degrees. I'm surprised you didn't attach your CV.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,413 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Don't know why I pay for HBO now and showtime when I can come on here for free....

To me the best way to get the best response on an online forum is to anticipate harsh/critical comments, and then formulate your question minimize critical feedback

Generally you should itemize your questions and give some background as to the root/nature of why you're asking the question . Ironically the MOST critical voices here can be some of the most knowledgable in terms of answering your question
Old 07-15-2015, 12:23 AM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Don't know why I pay for HBO now and showtime when I can come on here for free....

To me the best way to get the best response on an online forum is to anticipate harsh/critical comments, and then formulate your question minimize critical feedback

Generally you should itemize your questions and give some background as to the root/nature of why you're asking the question . Ironically the MOST critical voices here can be some of the most knowledgable in terms of answering your question
+1