E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E350 vs. C300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500/CLS550/ML350/C300
Interesting Question
i was actually debating on a 2014 E class vs 2017 C class for the past month! And of course this is a E class forum and most people will vouch for the E. I test drovd both of them. After a month of back and fourth i made a decision...
New C > Old E

- At the end i just couldnt buy the E...after seeing how they re designed it, and now the 2010-2016 body is officially OLD. That was the deal breaker for me. The new C just revampled a year or 2 ago and will keep its current body for another 3-4yrs. The more time that goes by, the old E will look older and older and the new C will just be in still in style and more fresh. Also the new C has more in common with the New E, than the old E. The new C and new E have identical tail lights, interior/ technology / new specs more identical(obviously the new E is better) . Have any of you seen the inside of the new C tho? It sh*ts on the old E. The old E is traditional. The new C interior will blow u away. Both nice cars at the end of the day..
Old 02-27-2017, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Rationalizing

Originally Posted by beg4m3rcy703
Interesting Question
i was actually debating on a 2014 E class vs 2017 C class for the past month! And of course this is a E class forum and most people will vouch for the E. I test drovd both of them. After a month of back and fourth i made a decision...
New C > Old E

- At the end i just couldnt buy the E...after seeing how they re designed it, and now the 2010-2016 body is officially OLD. That was the deal breaker for me. The new C just revampled a year or 2 ago and will keep its current body for another 3-4yrs. The more time that goes by, the old E will look older and older and the new C will just be in still in style and more fresh. Also the new C has more in common with the New E, than the old E. The new C and new E have identical tail lights, interior/ technology / new specs more identical(obviously the new E is better) . Have any of you seen the inside of the new C tho? It sh*ts on the old E. The old E is traditional. The new C interior will blow u away. Both nice cars at the end of the day..
Think you are just rationalizing your choice of a C over an E.
Many, many people prefer the "traditional" look of the "old" E, both interior and exterior. That's why I am keeping mine for now and would not purchase a new E or C.
Incidentally, traditional looks always last longer than fadish designs, at least for long-term resale values.
I get to drive a new C every time I take my car in for service. No comparison, even a 2017 C to a 2010 E. More gadgets and technology, but still a lower line M-B.
But, get what you like.
Happy Motoring!

Last edited by El Cid; 02-27-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550
Interesting Question
New C > Old E

Great to hear you are happy and as you said people here will be biased. I have had a new E350 and new C300 as loaners while my E550 is in for service. Every single time i'm very happy to be back in my car.

If I could have afforded a fully loaded C vs a fully loaded E, maybe the difference would be less. Personally I am not a fan of the C class interior but that's why we all drive different cars!
Old 02-27-2017, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Interesting Question
New C > Old E

Thank you for your opinions. They are welcome and valid. As mentioned by others, I used to get C class loaners every time I do service / maintenence so much that I got tired of it and started asking for different models such as GLK, GLA, and latest being GLCs for last two times. I prefer my traditional E to all the loaners which I've gotten so far. Somehow I'm not liking the too shiny plasticky looking dash in almost all of them. To me it cheapens the look. I understand that they are modern and have more features but in just wondering why can't they have an interior which is not as shiny and tacky. The iPad on most of the models would be a deal breaker for me.
Which is one of the reasons I'm not even considering trading up to the new E class yet. Will wait for the next redesign to see if there'll be some changes in the interior for my taste.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:43 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
E250 Diesel
I like the old E better. C 300 has an inline 4 with a turbo. (My car is inline 4 with a turbo also but it's a diesel - different torque and power profile).

The C is small. With the rear door open try putting a shoe sized 11 on the door sill withou scraping the door. It won't fit. This means uneasy ingress egress.

Turbo lag and peak, no matter how hard you try to smooth it out, is there all the time. A dignified luxury car shouldn't do that.

No headroom in the back. Deal breaker for me.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Holy dead thread, this should be fun.....many of us old E drivers have had the Camry... I mean new C class as loaners and were counting the days until we got our old out dated E's back. To each his own...enjoy!