Replace Key Fob Battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 12:10 PM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
W212 (212.065/276.820)
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
To Reboot car computers...
You simply need to disconnect both batteries: the MAIN and AUX for 15mn.

Don't jump car side ( + ) side to ( - )... let is safely self-discharge.

Following that reboot, scan the car to collect fault codes, note codes then reset faults with scanner.

At this point your car SAM/CGW will work as good as possible without fixing the KeylessGo solderless circuit board. So try the above procedure as a first step knowing expectations - I personally reboot once or twice a month despite my keyless now working perfectly.
Thanks! Seems easy enough to try at first. I'll run Xentry afterwards to check what codes have been generated.

Regarding the resoldering process of those solderless modules, how complex of a job are we talking about? Like a reflow soldering process that need to be done using special equipment?
Old 01-20-2024, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,092 Likes on 726 Posts
12 E350 4Matic 13 E350 4Matic AMG Sport
Originally Posted by Andre Cateb
Question: how does one reboots the car modules to recover from this soft-crashes? The batteries on my KeylessGO really don't last more them a month before I get a low battery warning. They are very cheap (the batteries) but it did stroke me as odd that they would last so little.
Also if you have keyless go, with that battery life you likely do, keep key remote more than 20 feet from car, my non-keyless go key can sit next to the car in my tool box and last for 2-3 years, my keyless go keys last about 6-9 months if I keep them far enough away from the car, if I forget and leave the key in my coat pocket, the car can read it so when I wash it, the lock sequence is triggered from the coat closet.
The following users liked this post:
Andre Cateb (01-22-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,222 Likes on 942 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500, 2004 Audi TT225
When washing the car, I set the key on the driver's (or passenger's) seat to keep it from locking and unlocking.
The following 2 users liked this post by JettaRed:
Andre Cateb (01-22-2024), pierrejoliat (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JettaRed
When washing the car, I set the key on the driver's (or passenger's) seat to keep it from locking and unlocking.
That works too, but I wash in the garage ten months out of the year as I live in the great lakes snow belt, so don't move it from where it's parked.

Last edited by pierrejoliat; 01-20-2024 at 09:20 AM.
CaliBenzDriver (01-20-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 03:20 PM

W212 (212.065/276.820)
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
To Reboot car computers...
You simply need to disconnect both batteries: the MAIN and AUX for 15mn.

Don't jump car side ( + ) side to ( - )... let is safely self-discharge.

Following that reboot, scan the car to collect fault codes, note codes then reset faults with scanner.

At this point your car SAM/CGW will work as good as possible without fixing the KeylessGo solderless circuit board. So try the above procedure as a first step knowing expectations - I personally reboot once or twice a month despite my keyless now working perfectly.
Did the reset today and ran the Xentry diagnostics afterwards. The only code that came back was related to the command online being unable to login into the server but that was because the time and date were not updated yet after the reset. The ones related to the back-up camera are recurring and after reading your post regarding the solderless pins, I'm pretty confident that the connection between the body CAN and the camera is not working properly. I'll troubleshoot that component first. The front door modules are another that keep generating stored faults out of the blue and might be good candidates for a resoldering job.

I installed a new key fob battery today to check if it had any impact or if resoldering the keyless go module is the only way to go.

Thank you!
pierrejoliat (02-03-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,082 Likes on 2,047 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
Originally Posted by Andre Cateb
Did the reset today and ran the Xentry diagnostics afterwards. The only code that came back was related to the command online being unable to login into the server but that was because the time and date were not updated yet after the reset. The ones related to the back-up camera are recurring and after reading your post regarding the solderless pins, I'm pretty confident that the connection between the body CAN and the camera is not working properly. I'll troubleshoot that component first. The front door modules are another that keep generating stored faults out of the blue and might be good candidates for a resoldering job.

I installed a new key fob battery today to check if it had any impact or if resoldering the keyless go module is the only way to go.

Thank you!
Andre, you have good incentive to fix ALL solderless members from CAN-B : they are responsible for battery drain while parked.

I've read your Xentry fault report. Not too bad

> How to best proceed...
​​​​​​Fix what you want to be reliable first, right?
  • KeylessG + 4x DCU's
  • then R-SAM + EZS
  • then Miscellaneous.

My crazy RFK rivals with yours: same faults!!
What an epic Mercedes failure straight from factory.

The camera acts like it is working but the software is super crazy upset - There is no better firmware update for it.

I believe this ​​​​​BUG IS POOR HW HARNESS. The module is not able to communicate with ignition, nor dashboard, nor COMAND.... glorious!

Notice the RFK uses an extra long twisted-pair cable run... I think if we do the opposite of what Benz did on purpose, we have a chance for RFK to run well.

Try running shielded cable on noise-free driver side away from noisy 3-hases DC fuel pump that's on rear passenger side.
✌️

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 02-03-2024 at 12:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaliBenzDriver:
Andre Cateb (02-05-2024), pierrejoliat (02-03-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 10:38 AM

W212 (212.065/276.820)
Thank you for the tips! It's a lot of work to trouble shoot digital data bus specially when poor electrical connections and grounding come into play. Is a cat and mouse game...

Good to know I'm not alone on the RFK craziness! Looking at the wiring diagrams, the camera has a video composite connection that goes directly to the HU and this is why we believe it's working properly. Any high-level functions depending on the digital databus is likely inoperative. It makes a lot of sense that interference plays a big role in this case. I've checked the other Xentry reports I have and always the same four module pop-up but with varying occurrences rates, except for the EZS which is always maxed out at 255 occurrences. I'll work my way trough the CAN wires starting from the camera and work my way up to the front, but shielding the harness seems like a very good idea.

Old 04-05-2024, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E550 and 1984 Porsche 944
2008 MB key remote cover removal

All I know is that I cannot remove the covers on my 2008 MB remotes to replace the batteries.
Viewed the YouTube videos and still no luck.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E550 4Matic, former: 09 E350 4Matic, 83 240D manual, 78 450SLC, 81 500SLC
Originally Posted by ACjr
All I know is that I cannot remove the covers on my 2008 MB remotes to replace the batteries.
DId you try using the metal key to push inside the little channel until the cover pops off? I can't really see how that would fail unless the clip broke off and somebody glued the cover on...
Old 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ACjr
With that model key FOB, the whole insides slides out from the bottom
CaliBenzDriver (04-07-2024)