Any E400 Hybrid owners out there?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 12:15 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLC 300, 2019 GLC 300, 2014 e400 Hybrid
Any E400 Hybrid owners out there?

Hi All-

New convert to MB. Bought a brand new E400 Hybrid yesterday. (Looks like they are being discontinued in 2016) - Any E400 hybrid owners out there? any tips and gotcha in general with this car? (hybrid or no hybrid)

The deal was too good to pass up....
Old 06-07-2018, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes benz
yes im here

Originally Posted by lay3r3
Hi All-

New convert to MB. Bought a brand new E400 Hybrid yesterday. (Looks like they are being discontinued in 2016) - Any E400 hybrid owners out there? any tips and gotcha in general with this car? (hybrid or no hybrid)

The deal was too good to pass up....
i just got my 2013 e400 hybrid..it has 44k miles... do you have any warnings that you wanna give me..im concerned about this battery..and will it last..
Old 06-07-2018, 07:32 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLC 300, 2019 GLC 300, 2014 e400 Hybrid
Originally Posted by Mick McGyver
i just got my 2013 e400 hybrid..it has 44k miles... do you have any warnings that you wanna give me..im concerned about this battery..and will it last..
mine was a 2014. So far only put about 28K on the car. No battery issues so far. There was some kind of software update for hybrid model only, you may want to check with the dealer.

the battery is so small which only adds maximum 6 miles to the gallon - I sometimes drive it with the electric mode off. If the battery or the regenerative function ever becomes a problem, perhaps just drive it in gas mode like a normal e350.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:23 AM

mercedes benz
Thank you for the information

I didnt know that you can turn the electric battery off and run as a gas motor only..that is really cool. Also i was thinking sbout putting a 10inch sub in the trunk.. Just 1 sub. Do u think that would be an issue.. And also upgrading to 20inch wheels.
when did you do the update for the hybrid.. And what effect did it jave over all with your experience
Old 11-27-2018, 11:55 AM

2016 AMG GTS; 2014 GL450; 2014 E400 Hybrid
I have an E400 hybrid I just gave my daughter- that is now deciding to behave badly. We did replace the AUX battery in June of this yr- it was 100.00 at the dealership. Bought vehicle brand new in OCT 2014. We love this c ar- but now having trouble with the TCU. Has been replaced mid OCT 2018 and car got towed to dealer last weekend. TCU is fried. Vehicle has ~68K on it. Anyone have this issue?
Old 02-13-2019, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E400 Hybrid
I have a pretty 2013 E400 77k miles, I do basic maintenance, very little Info on differences to regular V6 Eclass, CA car CARB state warranty is awesome compared to standard car (10 years on battery, 15 years/150k miles on hybrid+emissions emissions components). For example on maintenance, oil sump seems smaller and is a different shape than the standard E, manual capacity data doesn't match, not sure what transmission I have (for oil change)?

Issues thus far, I had to replace AUX battery at about 68k. I did get a TCU error code once P060C00, the dealer recalibrated the wet clutch.
The following users liked this post:
SLOWSUX (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 05:22 AM

2016 AMG GTS; 2014 GL450; 2014 E400 Hybrid
Originally Posted by danyol
I have a pretty 2013 E400 77k miles, I do basic maintenance, very little Info on differences to regular V6 Eclass, CA car CARB state warranty is awesome compared to standard car (10 years on battery, 15 years/150k miles on hybrid+emissions emissions components). For example on maintenance, oil sump seems smaller and is a different shape than the standard E, manual capacity data doesn't match, not sure what transmission I have (for oil change)?

Issues thus far, I had to replace AUX battery at about 68k. I did get a TCU error code once P060C00, the dealer recalibrated the wet clutch.
Thank you for your reply.
I also replaced the AUX battery around 65k. The trans message showed up about the same time. They did a transmission flush initially with the 60K B service and we thought that was the end of it. Then he TCU replacement in OKC. Then the failed transmission 28 days after the TCU replacement.

Soooo- yesterday after sitting in OK MB since NOV 25th, the transmission has arrived from Germany and the car will get a new one. I have the lowest confidence level ever in having them do this work. But have no other options. I am firmly rooted in my stance the technician did not replace all the transmission fluid and omitted the hybrid gear oil which resulted in the failed transmission at 72K miles. Of course OK disagrees.

We do love this car. And it will be given to my daughter after we resolve the mechanical issue. $12,500.00 for a new transmission! Hopefully, OKC puts an experienced mechanic on the repair and we make it back to VA where we have full confidence in the technicians and an MB dealership who stand behind the brand who know of the whole situation and will look at the vehicle.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by SLOWSUX
I also replaced the AUX battery around 65k. The trans message showed up about the same time. They did a transmission flush initially with the 60K B service and we thought that was the end of it. Then he TCU replacement in OKC. Then the failed transmission 28 days after the TCU replacement.

Soooo- yesterday after sitting in OK MB since NOV 25th, the transmission has arrived from Germany and the car will get a new one. I have the lowest confidence level ever in having them do this work. But have no other options. I am firmly rooted in my stance the technician did not replace all the transmission fluid and omitted the hybrid gear oil which resulted in the failed transmission at 72K miles. Of course OK disagrees.

We do love this car. And it will be given to my daughter after we resolve the mechanical issue. $12,500.00 for a new transmission! Hopefully, OKC puts an experienced mechanic on the repair and we make it back to VA where we have full confidence in the technicians and an MB dealership who stand behind the brand who know of the whole situation and will look at the vehicle.
You have to foot the bill for it? Sorry, I might've missed it if you already explained it before.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E400 Hybrid

I'm sorry to hear this, so you've been waiting for a transmission since November? It doesn't sound like a standard transmission, and I shouldn't trust anyone else doing an oil change on it without lots of research. I was just looking at getting the old change done yesterday, almost told the dealer to go ahead with a $600 plus gearbox oil service. I started looking into doing it myself, It is quite a bit more complex than many other cars I've worked on (advanced diy'er). Throw in it may have a specific variation of a standard transmission, not sure who I could trust.

Anyone on here know the specific series of the gearbox compared to standard E350 W212?
Old 02-15-2019, 11:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W164
$12.5K? That has to be uncomfortably close to trade in value. I know I wouldn't put that kind of money into that old of a car. The hybrid battery is next!
Old 02-17-2024, 11:58 PM

2013 Mercedes-Benz E400 Hybrid
How do you turn off electric mode?

Originally Posted by lay3r3

mine was a 2014. So far only put about 28K on the car. No battery issues so far. There was some kind of software update for hybrid model only, you may want to check with the dealer.

the battery is so small which only adds maximum 6 miles to the gallon - I sometimes drive it with the electric mode off. If the battery or the regenerative function ever becomes a problem, perhaps just drive it in gas mode like a normal e350.
Hey I just got a 2013 E400, how do you turn off the hybrid mode and drive it on engine only? Thanks.