E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Techron question...which one?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2015 | 11:00 PM

None
Originally Posted by El Cid
I have used Techron for decades. When I got my "E", I called MB customer service and asked them about it. They checked with technical experts and called me back. Not only is it OK, it is recommended. I called because
the Operator's Manual does have a blanket statement about not using additives.
Found out my dealer was adding it as part of "A" and "B" services anyway.
I still add Techron about twice a year even though I use Top Tier 93 octane gas.
BTW, the gasoline additives are added at the "tank farms" to each tank truck as it picks up the fuel. The additives are different, if any at all. They are determined by the retailer who is receiving the load or by direction of the "brand" of the gasoline.
How accurate are they in adding the additives, especially considering this is also where they add the 10% ethanol to the load?
I work in the fuel industry. Don't be mistaken, the additive injectors are incredibly precise. Additives are incredibly important, and small variations in concentrations can be the difference between on spec and off spec gasoline.
Old 10-23-2015 | 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Originally Posted by looney100
I work in the fuel industry. Don't be mistaken, the additive injectors are incredibly precise. Additives are incredibly important, and small variations in concentrations can be the difference between on spec and off spec gasoline.
Will defer to your expertise, but a few years ago a terminal (tank farm) manager took me on a tour of his facility. He showed me the trucks being loaded with gasoline from the big tanks and the then small array of tanks and spouts for the additives. The trucks will pull to the additive platform to be topped off with appropriate additives. I think they then go to the ethanol terminal to have it added.
Guess they are precise - or should be.

Last edited by El Cid; 10-23-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-23-2015 | 03:08 PM

None
Originally Posted by El Cid
Will defer to your expertise, but a few years ago a terminal (tank farm) manager took me on a tour of his facility. He showed me the trucks being loaded with gasoline from the big tanks and the then small array of tanks and spouts for the additives. The trucks will pull to the additive platform to be topped off with appropriate additives. I think they then go to the ethanol terminal to have it added.
Guess they are precise - or should be.
That may happen at some back woods terminal, but certainly not at any operated by - or third party terminals used by - the company I work for (one of the majors). Ethanol and the detergent/add pack is injected at the time of loading, no multiple stops required to 'manually' blend.
Old 10-23-2015 | 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Not back woods

Originally Posted by looney100
That may happen at some back woods terminal, but certainly not at any operated by - or third party terminals used by - the company I work for (one of the majors). Ethanol and the detergent/add pack is injected at the time of loading, no multiple stops required to 'manually' blend.
All the gasoline, all name brands, etc. are loaded at this terminal. Several different name brands loaded here. Haven't actually observed in last few years, but the same distribution "injectors" are there and the same "injectors" off to the side.