Techron question...which one?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
Question Techron question...which one?

Hey guys ....I'm a little confused on which Techron cleaner to use. I keep finding many threads that mention both but none address the difference between this two. I bought techron fuel injector cleaner from costco which is shown below, but haven't used it yet. Which one is better??

1. Techron concentrate plus complete fuel system cleaner

or

2. Techron fuel injector cleaner

Old 10-18-2015, 01:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
Why do you need to use that stuff?
Old 10-18-2015, 03:46 PM

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
W212, R171
a few dealers actually recommend to use 1 on the older M272 engines, and also the older 5.5 AMG engine, there's a thread in SLKworld about it, it helps address the knocking issue.
I have been use that on my other vehicles(Honda, VW) too and it does wonder.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:01 PM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
2012 E350 sedan
To answer your question, I believe the concentrate is better

Originally Posted by cx876
a few dealers actually recommend to use 1 on the older M272 engines, and also the older 5.5 AMG engine, there's a thread in SLKworld about it, it helps address the knocking issue.
However, the use of gas additives has been discussed on many forums and independent testing says it has little value but not totally worthless. If you use "top tier" gas exclusively, it should be unnecessary. If you don't use top tier gas, the money you saved is being spent on additives. The independent testing showed using cheaper generic toluene is more effective than most gas additives in cleaning the fuel system and cylinder heads.

That said, I'm an old school guy and add some techron every 10K because I've done this for decades. I've spent money in worse ways (like all those $ bills at strip joints in youth.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 386 Likes on 315 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
First one is the concentrate that you put in a few times a year. Some recommend using it in the tank you use before getting your oil changed.

The second one is not the concentrate - it is the one that you add with each fill up to supposedly get the some benefits as using chevron gas.

I use the first one maybe one or twice a year. Just makes me feel good.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by mnje350
Why do you need to use that stuff?
It's well recommended in different forums on MB world, even Glyn M Ruck recommends. I'm pretty sure techron is the only additive MB approves.

Originally Posted by cx876
Yeah...after reading some horror stories about the quality of gas we get here in the US, helping clean the fuel system won't hurt.

Originally Posted by VegasE
However, the use of gas additives has been discussed on many forums and independent testing says it has little value but not totally worthless. If you use "top tier" gas exclusively, it should be unnecessary. If you don't use top tier gas, the money you saved is being spent on additives. The independent testing showed using cheaper generic toluene is more effective than most gas additives in cleaning the fuel system and cylinder heads.

That said, I'm an old school guy and add some techron every 10K because I've done this for decades. I've spent money in worse ways (like all those $ bills at strip joints in youth.
Thanks. I bought the wrong techron apparently :/ I hear nothing but good things about it but I'm with you on the money factor...i waste money on less productive or usable things all the time lol
looking to use it twice between oil changes.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by thefisch
First one is the concentrate that you put in a few times a year. Some recommend using it in the tank you use before getting your oil changed.

The second one is not the concentrate - it is the one that you add with each fill up to supposedly get the some benefits as using chevron gas.

I use the first one maybe one or twice a year. Just makes me feel good.
Gotcha...I can't even return the 6 pack I bought of the 2nd one because I lost the receipt lol ..ohh well
Old 10-18-2015, 08:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
I would look at Marvel Mystery Oil then. Aircraft mechanics have been extoling the virtues of that addative for years. If I would add it to the fuel of an airplane I would not be afraid to put it in the fuel of my car no matter what brand of car it is. Cleans injectors, valve intakes, rings, etc. You can also add it to engine oil.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:54 AM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
2012 E350 sedan
I used to use whatever was cheapest

Originally Posted by MBSebas87
It's well recommended in different forums on MB world, even Glyn M Ruck recommends. I'm pretty sure techron is the only additive MB approves.
I figured one cleaner was as good as another. Then around 2002 I started to get the CEL shortly after using it if I used anything except Techron so I now use Techron exclusively.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Gotcha...I can't even return the 6 pack I bought of the 2nd one because I lost the receipt lol ..ohh well
Well you can still use it. Just keep in trunk or garage and add just before you fill up as instructed. It supposedly has the same effect over time.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:28 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
Originally Posted by mnje350
I would look at Marvel Mystery Oil then. Aircraft mechanics have been extoling the virtues of that addative for years. If I would add it to the fuel of an airplane I would not be afraid to put it in the fuel of my car no matter what brand of car it is. Cleans injectors, valve intakes, rings, etc. You can also add it to engine oil.

I wouldn't put this in my AMG but always wondered if this stuff is really effective or just snake oil.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 211 Posts
2019 E300
You guys are better off using a high quality gas such as Shell or Chervon than to spend money on fuel injector cleaners. DI engines operate at very high pressure, 2,000-3,000 PSI and there is no chance for deposits to form unlike old conventional port injection at 45-55 PSI. In a DI engine, carbon deposits are more likely to form on the valves than the injectors, unfortunately, the injector cleaner or the gas do not go thru the intake valves on a DI engines to clean them as it does with a port injection engine.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:32 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
Marvel Mystery Oil? Just a quick visit to its Wikipedia page should have you seriously doubting whether this stuff should go anywhere near your car.

In general, fuel additives are usually harmless - in most cases the worst they'll do is waste your money, but oil additives can cause some serious harm.

As said by a couple members already, put a Top Tier gasoline in your car each time you fill, and you won't need to purchase any cleaners.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by The G Man
You guys are better off using a high quality gas such as Shell or Chervon than to spend money on fuel injector cleaners. DI engines operate at very high pressure, 2,000-3,000 PSI and there is no chance for deposits to form unlike old conventional port injection at 45-55 PSI. In a DI engine, carbon deposits are more likely to form on the valves than the injectors, unfortunately, the injector cleaner or the gas do not go thru the intake valves on a DI engines to clean them as it does with a port injection engine.
Supposedly using this techron stuff gives you the equivalent cleaning of using their gas regularly - according to them that is.

My main reason for using it is because my local dealers push fuel service on all my cars and want $80-$150 for the service depending on the car. I buy a techron concentrate bottle for $6 on sale for a once a year treatment and then tell them I already got the fuel service done. Not saying either techron or their stuff makes any difference, but I haven't found any information that shows the stuff the dealer uses if any better than techron concentrate. So $6 for peace of mind once a year.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
If you are going to use injector cleaner, I would still use top tier gas in conjunction with that. You really don't want to use cheap gas and have too much build up and then shock it with a concentrate treatment. As far as the dealer's injector cleaning service, ask them if they clean the valves as well. Some dealer will inject the solution at the intake manifold to clean the valve, as you know, injector cleaner in gas never reach the valves in a direct injection engine.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:40 PM

None
You can't expect a one-can shot of a high-dose of detergent to have the same effect as continued use of a gasoline with a quality detergent package. If you've ever taken a dirty engine apart, you'd notice that those deposits are very dense. I highly doubt one tankful of 'cleaner' is going to make a significant impact.

You're using the right word when you say your dealer is 'pushing' the fuel service. Next time he does this, ask him where in your maintenance manual this service is listed. He's just selling you a very profitable service - one that you don't need.

I hate to be repetitive, but just use a top-tier gasoline, and you have no need to ever add anything to your fuel. - Other than a stabilizer if you're storing the car.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
I do not have a lot of experience with Mercedes direct injection engines, but in Audi and BMW's DI engine, carbon tends to build up in the valves to the point where the check engine light comes on. In that situation, fuel injector cleaner is not going to help. Some Audi and BMW dealer would inject a highly concentrate cleaner into the intake manifold to clean the valves and in some real bad cases, they use a walnut shell blasting method to clean the carbon. With DI engines, a good practice is to use the right octane gas to ensure a proper and complete combustion cycle and choose a high quality gas that combust cleanly.

Last edited by The G Man; 10-20-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport 4Matic
I guess I'll finish the 6 pack i bought and then do the once a year concentrate
Old 10-20-2015, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
....I'm a little confused on which Techron cleaner to use. ....
Why use any? I don't know of any gasoline today that does not already contain additives. Sometimes too much of a good thing is bad. It's recommended by MB that you DON'T use additives.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by The G Man
As far as the dealer's injector cleaning service, ask them if they clean the valves as well. Some dealer will inject the solution at the intake manifold to clean the valve, as you know, injector cleaner in gas never reach the valves in a direct injection engine.
Well that intake manifold procedure would justify some of the cost if that were the case. However, whenever I have asked in the past I've been told that they put an additive in tank. Guess that takes a half hour of labor.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by thefisch
Well that intake manifold procedure would justify some of the cost if that were the case. However, whenever I have asked in the past I've been told that they put an additive in tank. Guess that takes a half hour of labor.
That's one expensive bottle of Techron
Old 10-21-2015, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Wrong

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Why use any? I don't know of any gasoline today that does not already contain additives. Sometimes too much of a good thing is bad. It's recommended by MB that you DON'T use additives.
I have used Techron for decades. When I got my "E", I called MB customer service and asked them about it. They checked with technical experts and called me back. Not only is it OK, it is recommended. I called because
the Operator's Manual does have a blanket statement about not using additives.
Found out my dealer was adding it as part of "A" and "B" services anyway.
I still add Techron about twice a year even though I use Top Tier 93 octane gas.
BTW, the gasoline additives are added at the "tank farms" to each tank truck as it picks up the fuel. The additives are different, if any at all. They are determined by the retailer who is receiving the load or by direction of the "brand" of the gasoline.
How accurate are they in adding the additives, especially considering this is also where they add the 10% ethanol to the load?
Old 10-21-2015, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Techron site

http://www.techronworks.com/en-US/as...l#.Vif7b36rS1s
Old 10-21-2015, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by El Cid
.... I called MB customer service and asked them about it. They checked with technical experts and called me back. Not only is it OK, it is recommended. I called because the Operator's Manual does have a blanket statement about not using additives........
Interesting. I was going by the manual recommendation. I wonder what else is 'wrong' in the manual I do know that if I had a DI engine I would definitely be using it as tests on deposits point to elements only present in gasoline. Evidently those elements are only found in US refined gas so you don't see the DI carbon buildup in European engines.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:53 PM

None
Even the Techron website says it's unnecessary if you're using quality gasoline.

- If I already use Chevron, Texaco or Caltex with Techron fuel, do I need to use Techron Concentrate Plus as well?
If you are using a high-quality gasoline such as Chevron, Texaco or Caltex with Techron exclusively, you do not need Techron Concentrate Plus. However, if you occasionally fill up with lower quality gasoline, Techron Concentrate Plus can help clean up deposits that can form over time. In addition, if you have an engine that is sensitive to deposit formation, or if your vehicle is regularly used under severe conditions, you may benefit from using Techron Concentrate Plus.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Techron question...which one?