E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

CEL Again so headed to the shop tomorrow.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Originally Posted by jonUF02
So are you under warranty?

My experience with dealer mechanics is that they hook up the computer, charge you $150, and if they computer does not tell them anything, they start telling you to throw random parts at it with no guarantee of repair rather than going through any logical troubleshooting.
No warranty for my batmobile Sir. So I'll just be eating the cost on my own. I had my previous CEL issue checked at STS so I went back to the same location. They didn't charge me anything this time or last for the diagnosis. I had new tires put on there and replacement tires put on there as well after a double blowout I had a few months back. Plus some other minor things. I think they want my business enough that they gave me a break on the diagnosis in hopes I'd come back to get actual work done there.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
A standard OBD2 reader should be able to tell you cylinder misfire I think? If you know the cylinder, then I would start with coil pack, wires, and plug. If that does not change anything, then possibly take out the fuel injector and have it tested.

Here's the ghetto method I used when rebuilding my fuel injectors on the CLK. There are many similar videos with similar contraptions to test/clean injectors, or there are shops that specialize in testing and rebuilding injectors, or you can just replace it if in doubt.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thx for the help @Jon.

I've already had all plugs replaced less then two months ago and two coils. The total estimate above somewhere would include another coil which would be 3 of the total 8 I've been told I have. Based on what they told me the misfire will be gone after I change just that one coil. However, my car will still have a CEL because of the 3 items I listed above that they are going to get from MB on my behalf.

So if I want to just ride normally the coil will do but I don't want the CEL on since it'll just irk me. I'm taking a few days off this week so I'm taking it back in on Weds-Thurs the latest. I'll update everyone of what I do, I'm probably just gonna get it all done but if I feel iffy in between then and now. I'll just replace coil and have fix the rest once I gain my confidence in my purchase of service. It seems like many here agree, that I may not need the other crap at this point.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 GL550 4matic
OK, I see, so there are other codes that point to the emissions items. These should all be standard OBD2 codes. Get the $10 bluetooth link for OBD2 and the free Torque phone app, and you can clear the codes, then see what they are when they pop up. Use the codes to research the typical solutions.

To rule out the coil, you could swap it to another cylinder and see if the misfire code moves to that cylinder.

My indy MB guy had a fancy computer that could read the health of each coil pack. Very neat. His computer connected through the STAR diagnostic port. I'm not sure if it was official MB or what.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks, I'm going to look into those both since I plan on keeping this car for another 6 months and I don't want to get led astray and doubt things next time around as well as this time. I appreciate everyone helping so that I could gather some quality insight before just throwing money at the shop. It's one of the major reason I like this forum. Since I've been here I've needed it quite often
Old 12-07-2015, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
You have had your fair share of issues for whatever reason. These cars are pretty darn bulletproof and I hate to see you spending money unnecessarily.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KEY08
You have had your fair share of issues for whatever reason. These cars are pretty darn bulletproof and I hate to see you spending money unnecessarily.
Funny thing is I still love the car. I bought it with high miles so I kind of assumed I'd have to eat some cost, it's logical. I just don't want to do it blindly. My wife gives me the business all the time now..Look at your fancy car going back to the shop again....she's a hater Lol.

I have to get my brakes done soon to, I was planning on in it this month but I will have to push it off until January if I do the stuff in this thread. Still no squeaking really and it still stops on a dime as of now but the reminder for brakes pads comes on now. Hopefully after that just standard services etc.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 GL550 4matic
Brakes are easy DIY, or any old shop can do them. Good threads here concerning your MY and brakes.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Yes, brakes on these cars are very reasonable, all things considered.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just had ignition coil replaced. I searched around and brought my own coil into shop so only had to eat the labor on that. I got the car back after an hour or so yesterday morning and no CEL so far. I've been running multiple errands so probably 20 starts since I got it back.

I'll revisit emissions issues if the CEL comes back on or next time I get a diagnostic test.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 GL550 4matic
Originally Posted by jahquan3
I just had ignition coil replaced. I searched around and brought my own coil into shop so only had to eat the labor on that. I got the car back after an hour or so yesterday morning and no CEL so far. I've been running multiple errands so probably 20 starts since I got it back.

I'll revisit emissions issues if the CEL comes back on or next time I get a diagnostic test.
Misfires can trickle down into a bunch of other codes. That's why I suggest fixing the most obvious, then reset the codes and wait like this.

Coils are very easy to replace. Just one screw, disconnect the wire harness, remove and replace. They're right under the plastic airbox / engine cover.

I looked them up on AutohausAZ.com, they are $47.55 each for OEM mfr. part. The notes state the following:

Delphi OEM - Direct Ignition Coil & Boot Assembly

8 per car. Due to ignition control monitoring it is highly recommended to replace all the direct ignition coils to maintain uniform resistance values between all cylinders. Replacement of individual coils may not resolve CEL codes long term.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...oot%20Assembly

It's really a very easy task to DIY, I think I would personally invest in replacing the rest now. You say you've had the plugs changed recently. Then the entire ignition system will be refreshed.