W212 2012 Heater/Interior Fan Does not Work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2023, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,063 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
as tight as a clam

My new car Bosch interior fan was already squeaking dry at 10kMi... So I took it appart to realize the sleeve bearings were also way too tight.

I lubed both top and bottom bearings with couple drops of engine oil.
Now 40kMi later it spins normally even at low rpm.
The following users liked this post:
Rickman30 (12-03-2023)
Old 02-08-2024, 09:37 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
e350
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
My new car Bosch interior fan was already squeaking dry at 10kMi... So I took it appart to realize the sleeve bearings were also way too tight.

I lubed both top and bottom bearings with couple drops of engine oil.
Now 40kMi later it spins normally even at low rpm.

if anyone was curious it was the blower motor resistor, I replaced it in 5 min , luckily it worked
Old 02-10-2024, 03:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by jimh6
Well it’s freezing so gave into the dealer. 45 min in the waiting room. Payed 550$ and I’m set. DIY would have been great but time and convienance... pay to play!

thanks though! Hopefully it helps someone. We need to keep this forum strong with this type content!
You did good. The blower motor went out on my W211 2008 E350 - squeeled until it finally stopped. I went through (3) motors from on-line and local parts places before I finally ended up getting one from the dealer. The after-market were cheaper but all made noise, even the one marked "Behr" with the benz logo scratched off. The motor from the dealer was $402. All things considered with what I now know, I would have gladly paid $550 and waited in a nice warm waiting room.
Old 02-10-2024, 03:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by RWagz
I had this exact same problem. Manually spinning the fan made it work again!

So is this a warning that tells me I should replace that fan before it stops working for good?

I'm getting two different parts for the blower mower resistor. Both are about as expensive as the blower motor itself. Rock auto shows two very different pictures:

I still have varying fan speeds so I'm going to leave that until it fails. Just to be sure - These are just resistors that "fail open" so any issues with this regulator won't harm the motor. I don't want to damage a new motor because I should have replaced this regulator. Thoughts?
I think I would always suspect the fan motor way before the resistor if you have all fan speeds. If you have the car running, the fan motor is spinning. i don't think it ever stops completely if the car is running. I'd just replace the fan motor with a factory one and don't give it another thought. I'm with you though .... I try to do a complete "grade A" job, but Benz parts are too expensive to do that too often and sometimes you might replace parts that have a lot of miles left. Overall, I think Benz parts are pretty high quality and made to last, especially on the E350.