E550 Owners - driving style?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by Arrie
I drive the NA 550 and when I want to make it go fast I hold the left paddle for two seconds and the car will shift directly to the gear giving the best acceleration.

The problem I have with this is that I forget to shift up as I'm used to drive in AUTO mode and the car is too quiet to hear the engine. But it surely takes off with this procedure...
This is exactly what I do, including the part about forgetting to click back to auto again since it is so quiet.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts
'17 C63S Estate (S205) / '14 CLS 550 SB (X218) / '17 E220d (S213)
Originally Posted by Arrie
I drive the NA 550 and when I want to make it go fast I hold the left paddle for two seconds and the car will shift directly to the gear giving the best acceleration.
No, it does not. By pressing and holding the left paddle the car shifts into gear for best acceleration indeed. However, it does not do this directly. It still follows the shift pattern of the 7g-Tronic, which is one gear at once, except for the direct multible downshift from 7th to 5th!

This is one of the two main differences to the 7g-TronicPlus that comes with the 4.7 TT! The PLUS can also do the following patterns:
7->5
6->2
5->3
4->1

The other main difference from a drivers perspective: The PLUS has an additional torsion damper in the torque converter, which allows lower RPM without resonances or vibrations. So the M278 can use higher gears at the same speed...
Old 01-15-2016, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
Originally Posted by J.M.G.
No, it does not. By pressing and holding the left paddle the car shifts into gear for best acceleration indeed. However, it does not do this directly. It still follows the shift pattern of the 7g-Tronic, which is one gear at once, except for the direct multible downshift from 7th to 5th!

This is one of the two main differences to the 7g-TronicPlus that comes with the 4.7 TT! The PLUS can also do the following patterns:
7->5
6->2
5->3
4->1

The other main difference from a drivers perspective: The PLUS has an additional torsion damper in the torque converter, which allows lower RPM without resonances or vibrations. So the M278 can use higher gears at the same speed...

I rarely use the paddles, but I didn't know about the holding down the button thing. I'll try it for sure. I noticed that my 2012 does tend to use very high gearing for city driving.

On my old W208, I would leave it in 3 or 4 (of 5) around town to prevent it from going too high and loosing the power to accelerate on demand. The manual shifting on MB is more of a "maximum gear" setting, as it will down-shift automatically when you stop; not fully manual like a Ferrari or something.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 837 Likes on 606 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by J.M.G.

7->5
6->2
5->3
4->1

Well,

I don't know exact details of what happens inside the gear box but I know that the transmission shifts to the optimum gear just as fast as it shifts between just two gears when I use the paddles. Because the baddle use is very slow for gear shifts I don't use it other than when on rare occasion I'm behind someone on a 2-lane road and want to pass fast. Holding the left paddle puts the car on the correct gear fast and the car really takes off fast too. And it does not matter how many gears it changes. It always happens equally quick.