E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Anyone use BlackVue 650 dashcam for 2016 E350 wagon?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 03:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 E350 Wagon
Anyone use BlackVue 650 dashcam for 2016 E350 wagon?

There are instructions on how to wire BlackVue dashcam on other MB model, but none for the E350 Wagon. I am not an expert in electrical wiring, so some assistance is greatly appreciated.

First of all, I couldn't find the fuse box diagram in the car manual, so I had to Google it. Found one from MercedesMedic.com, but not sure if it's accurate.

I also uploaded the following picture:
- Fuse diagram from above
- Picture of the actual fuse from my E350

My questions:
1). Is the diagram (and the explanation listed here) correct? If not, where do I get the correct one?
I noticed that the diagram is missing information from the actual fuse box. I.e. there is a RED 10A fuse on the bottom right, but not shown in the diagram.

2). Looking at the actual fuse box, the area is marked with different color (I am NOT talking about the fuse color). There are yellow (bottom right), green (top), etc. Does this colored area mean anything?

3). Some of the fuse area is "locked", like the yellow one in the bottom right. I cannot remove a fuse and I am having a hard time removing that yellow lock. Does this mean I should not mess around with the fuses here? How do I remove the lock cover?

Last edited by lanwarrior; 01-30-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E500 sport (sold), 2009 GL450, w213 E63 (waiting for ordering guide)
This would be best answered in the W212 section where owners have this generation car. This is the W213 section where this vehicle hasn't been released to the market yet.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by JP500
This would be best answered in the W212 section where owners have this generation car. This is the W213 section where this vehicle hasn't been released to the market yet.
Oops, you're right!

Mod, can you please move this to W212?
Old 02-01-2016, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
Here is what I would do - get a volt meter and test the empty fuse slots. One side should be the hot side. You probably want power that is switched; when the car is on only. So use the volt meter to verify 12v when car is on, but no power when car is off, and then just put a a flat blade connector on the end of a wire, stick it in the open fuse spot. If you want to be safe, then add and in-line fuse on that wire going to the camera. zip-tie the wire near the fuse block so it does not move.

I've done this for may car stereo systems, radar detectors, etc.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:54 AM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 342 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
I installed a different camera but the installation is about the same for yours. I used a hard-wire kit as well to eliminate the need for cig lighter and it was easier to route a wire lead from the passenger side kick-panel area back to the trunk fuseblock. The hard-wire kit plugs into the camera so it needed to be located somewhere up front, per length of available cord.

I used a piggyback fuse connector that allows the original circuit fuse to be used while adding a secondary fused lead to the camera feed. It's not a big deal as the camera feed is very low amperage. I use these all the time as they provide a safe means of adding a circuit.

I selected the fuse that controls the trunk 12v power outlet as it is ignition controlled - I wanted the camera to only operate with ignition on. Look on your fuseblock legend and I believe it's one of the fuses in the yellow "caged" section. Have no idea why they decided to have those plastic cages but they simply unclip at the top and then swing open. The piggyback connector fits without any issues.

I did ensure that the 12v feed wire to the front was loomed and protected at all possible chafing locations.

Overall it was no big deal and everything works fine. If you are not comfortable with wiring then yes you should consider having someone do this. Also keep in mind that if you are using a hardwire kit (not sure what the Blackvue has), it is usually a transformer to convert down from 12v, the ones I have are 5v output. These can get quite warm in use so I avoid wrapping them in anything. I do secure with tiewraps but I try to leave some air space around them.