Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Mercedes only Tires : Run Flat issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 Bluetec
Angry Mercedes only Tires : Run Flat issue

I just sent my car into Benzel Busch in Englewood NJ for a weird issue related to the steering. The car is really floaty and the drive wheel doesn't seem to 'snap" to a center position.

I took it in. The tech changed the tires to e350 tires off another car and he said that the issue is my tires because they are "not Mercedes Only" tires or Mercedes endorsed tires. That sounds like a lot of bull Sh*T. I've never heard of MO tires..I replaced the Goodyears with Bridgestone Run Flats. He said that if I want to get this fixed I would have to pay them money to put the tires on the car for me to test.

Does this sound real? Also, what do people believe could be the problem with my steering? Is it alignment or mechanical? Bear in mind, the car does not pull to a certain direction when running on the freeway.

The car has warranty for the rest of the year so I want to get this fixed before it runs out. I can tell you that BB doesn't want to do it because they can't get warranty dollars from Mercedes.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
The E350 BlueTEC has a different steering rack than the gas E350 in Canada and I assume in USA as well. Probably tough but you should try to find another BT to compare to as perhaps what you're experiencing is "normal". I found the steering to be quite different when comparing the two models back-to-back.

The fact that they're not MB Approved tires isn't a valid reason as long as they're the proper load rating, speed rating, size, etc.

Also MOE = Mobility Extended = Runflat. No such thing as "Mercedes Only" tires to my knowledge, just MB Approved.

Last edited by YYZ-E55; 02-23-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:46 PM

2013 E350 Bluetec
Thanks YYZ. What do you think I should say to the dealer? He doesn't want to do the work because I don't think he can get paid from Mercedes. There is a clear issue with the driving compared to my other cars (Honda)
Old 02-24-2016, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by Vincent Lee
Thanks YYZ. What do you think I should say to the dealer? He doesn't want to do the work because I don't think he can get paid from Mercedes. There is a clear issue with the driving compared to my other cars (Honda)
I assume you're comparing a front wheel drive Honda to a rear wheel drive MB. Not trying to be condescending but are you sure there's an actual issue and not just the inherent difference of the two completely different vehicle types?
Old 02-24-2016, 09:23 AM

You are correct. I am. However, my dad has the 2015 c class. My brother in law has a 535i with the same run flats. Don't know what to say to the dealer. He clearly doesn't want to do it because he won't get paid but I'm not sure what to do next to diagnose it? Maybe wheel alignment?
Old 02-24-2016, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 211 Posts
2019 E300
I just sent my car into Benzel Busch in Englewood NJ for a weird issue related to the steering. The car is really floaty and the drive wheel doesn't seem to 'snap" to a center position.

I took it in. The tech changed the tires to e350 tires off another car and he said that the issue is my tires because they are "not Mercedes Only" tires or Mercedes endorsed tires. That sounds like a lot of bull Sh*T. I've never heard of MO tires..I replaced the Goodyears with Bridgestone Run Flats. He said that if I want to get this fixed I would have to pay them money to put the tires on the car for me to test.

Does this sound real? Also, what do people believe could be the problem with my steering? Is it alignment or mechanical? Bear in mind, the car does not pull to a certain direction when running on the freeway.

The car has warranty for the rest of the year so I want to get this fixed before it runs out. I can tell you that BB doesn't want to do it because they can't get warranty dollars from Mercedes.
If you replace Goodyear runflats with the new Bridgestone driveguard, there might be a difference in handling due to the softer Bridgestone side walls. Try pumping up the tires a bit.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Confused

You said the tech switched tires with an E350? Did you drive it if he did? Did he say there was no difference in handling with the E350 tires? Did he switch the tires back to what you drove in with?
I have a 2010 E350 (gas) with standard Michellin tires. Compared to other cars I have owned, it is floaty and always has been. Not sure what you mean by "snap" back to center.
IMO, it just the way the MB E class handles. But, you have a newer BT that came with RF's.
BTW, never heard of MB only tires. Look in your Operator's Manual under tires. Does it say you have to use a specific brand and type of tire? Doubt it.
You might want to complain to MBUSA quickly if looking at a warranty issue.