E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Night view assist / windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 09:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2010 E550
Night view assist / windshield replacement

I had my windshield replaced (2010 W212) and noticed that the night view camera was aimed too far to the left. When I pulled the cover off, it seems like the camera doesn't really attach to anything. It will kinda stay put, but moves as soon as I go to reattach the cover. Does anyone have instructions for how it's supposed to attach?
Old 04-18-2016, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
whoever replaced the windshield needs to correct their install.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:39 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by homeofstone
whoever replaced the windshield needs to correct their install.
I'm not confident in their ability to do so, which is why I'm looking for how to do it myself.

Edit: If anyone else runs into this problem, here's how it attaches. On the camera itself there's a black piece of metal that's snapped onto the unit. It comes off, but there's no need to remove it. To remount the camera to the windshield the front metal tabs of that black metal piece have to fit inside the lip on the windshield. (The top of the tabs, the parts you can bend with your fingers, not the bottoms of the tabs that wrap around). I did remove the cable while doing this, mainly because I kept only being able to get one side in at a time. Once you get both sides in, just push up on the middle/bottom of the unit and it'll snap into place. It looks like there's 2 stubs that stick out of the top of the camera module, and I guess friction holds them against another lip in the windshield. Once it snapped into place I was able to plug the cable back in and snap the cover into place. (To take the cover off, pull down the door on it that gets you access to the night assist camera to clean the windshield under it, then the whole cover slides forward a half inch or so, and the whole thing can be popped off by pulling down on it. To reattached it, leave the door on it open, and snap it back into place, slide it back towards the rear view mirror, and then close the door).

Last edited by markgm; 04-20-2016 at 08:20 PM.