intermittent headlight on driver side

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 386 Likes on 315 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Back in business

Got my car back this afternoon. Happy to report that everything is now working. I had said previously that I didn't miss being able to rotate the comand knob but after living without it for a while I had forgotten how quickly I can scan through track lists, phone logs, etc. with it.

The new headlight assembly on the driver side is so clear and shiny that it makes me want to replace the passenger side too (I'm too cheap though). I never thought they were that bad before but it's sure easy to tell when one side is new. Now I only have the burned in V on one side so I feel out of balance. Will have to see how long it takes to earn my second V.

Odd thing is the new xenon bulb (came with assembly) is a little more yellow than the passenger side older bulb. I asked but they wouldn't give me the old bulb as a spare. Perhaps there is a break in period with these so I won't be too quick to judge. And I will wait until driving at night to compare how they look on the road.

Overall the Carmax repair experience was good. On the plus side they did have my car ready by late afternoon yesterday (a day early) but I couldn't get there before close. On the downside, I noticed a small paint chip (no ding) on the driver door. Not sure if that was them or something that happened before, but they said their detail shop would touch it up for me if I bring it back.

Total repair bill was $2,780.85. I paid $250 of that as a deductible. Headlight assembly was $1,891.50 plus $367.50 for 3.5 hours labor. They said they had to drop one side of the bumper and reuse the old ballast as it didn't come with the assembly. Comand knob was $259.35 with 2.5 hours of labor at $262.50.

I paid $3,079 for the 6 year warranty so I am about $550 away from house money with 4 years to go. Without a warranty, I probably would have used an indy for the swap (not too interested in dropping the bumper myself) and bought a used headlamp for about $500 or a Hella for $900 to save $$. Also, I would have tried to fix the comand knob myself with the toothpick/epoxy method or buy that molded collar if that's still around for about $50.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,163 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
You should replace the headlights in pairs. And you're right, Xenons take a little while to burn in, like 10-20 hours. You may have also gotten one where the color temperature is a little off, at least if you get them in pairs, they should be off by the same amount.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I guess if it bothers me I can just replace both bulbs and it would run me $70ish.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,163 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Just be careful where you get them. There are a lot of fake bulbs out there. Those can be as low as $10 each on ebay, but they flicker and blow out sooner. For real ones, they're usually $50 or more each, but you're still never sure. Don't get it from Amazon as they mix theirs in with other vendors so it may be real or fake.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,620 Likes on 1,189 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Nice! I was unaware that the bumper could be partially dropped, but I guess you could pull it away far enough to reach the bolts to pull the headlamp. Good deal!
Old 06-17-2016, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 210 Posts
2019 E300
Originally Posted by thefisch
I guess if it bothers me I can just replace both bulbs and it would run me $70ish.
The Mercedes Osram xenon bulb cost a bit more than that, assuming CarMax use oem bulbs.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
They said the bulb came with headlamp so I assume it is OEM since it was a genuine MB part (at that price!). Still waiting to complete the burn in to see how different they look.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 210 Posts
2019 E300
They said the bulb came with headlamp so I assume it is OEM since it was a genuine MB part (at that price!). Still waiting to complete the burn in to see how different they look.
Color shift sometimes take 100-500 hours, Osram bulbs do not shift as much as Phillips bulbs. Beside the color, the light intensity is likely much weaker from the old xenon bulb:

0 hours = 3200 lumens (100%)
200 hours = 2880 lumens (90%)
1000 hours = 2560 lumens (80%)
1500 hours = 2400 lumens (75%)
2000 hours = 2240 lumens (70%)
Old 06-19-2016, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
There has got to be a way to fix the headlight without replacing the entire unit. I understand that dealers are part swappers, though. Yes HID bulbs should be replaced in pairs for color match.

MaxCare warranties are about the best in the business when it comes to aftermarket warranties in general.
Old 03-09-2023, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes w212 e220 cdi
[QUOTE=thefisch;6835330]Bu öğleden sonra arabamı geri aldım. Artık her şeyin çalıştığını bildirmekten mutluluk duyuyorum. Komut düğmesini döndürmeyi özlemediğimi daha önce söylemiştim ama bir süre onsuz yaşadıktan sonra onunla parça listelerini, telefon günlüklerini vb. ne kadar hızlı tarayabileceğimi unuttum.

Sürücü tarafındaki yeni far takımı o kadar net ve parlak ki yolcu tarafını da değiştirmek istiyorum (gerçi ben çok ucuzum). Daha önce hiç bu kadar kötü olduklarını düşünmemiştim ama bir tarafın yeni olduğunu söylemek kesinlikle kolay. Şimdi sadece bir tarafta V'de yanık var, bu yüzden dengemi kaybetmiş hissediyorum. İkinci V'mi kazanmanın ne kadar sürdüğünü görmem gerekecek.

Garip olan şey, yeni xenon ampulün (montajla birlikte geldi) yolcu tarafındaki eski ampulden biraz daha sarı olması. Sordum ama eski ampulü bana yedek olarak vermediler. Belki de bunlarla ilgili bir dönem vardır, bu yüzden yargılamak için çok hızlı olmayacağım. Ve yolda nasıl göründüklerini karşılaştırmak için gece yola çıkana kadar bekleyeceğim.

Genel olarak Carmax onarım deneyimi iyiydi. Artı tarafı, dün öğleden sonra (bir gün erken) arabamı hazırladılar ama kapanıştan önce oraya gidemedim. Olumsuz tarafı, sürücü kapısında küçük bir boya yongası (ding yok) fark ettim. Kendileri mi yoksa daha önce olan bir şey mi olduğundan emin değilim, ancak geri getirirsem detay mağazalarının benim için rötuş yapacağını söylediler.

Toplam onarım faturası 2.780,85 dolardı. Bunun 250 dolarını muafiyet olarak ödedim. Far takımı 1.891,50$ artı 3,5 saatlik işçilik için 367,50$'dı. Montajla birlikte gelmediği için tamponun bir tarafını indirip eski balastı tekrar kullanmaları gerektiğini söylediler. Komut topuzu, 262,50 dolardan 2,5 saatlik işçilikle 259,35 dolardı.

6 yıllık garanti için 3.079 $ ödedim, bu yüzden 4 yıl kala ev parasından yaklaşık 550 $ uzaktayım. Bir garanti olmasaydı, muhtemelen takas için bir indy kullanırdım (tamponu kendim düşürmekle pek ilgilenmem) ve $ $ tasarruf etmek için yaklaşık 500 $ 'a kullanılmış bir far veya 900 $' a bir Hella alırdım. Ayrıca, komut topuzunu kürdan/epoksi yöntemiyle kendim tamir etmeye çalışırdım veya hala yaklaşık 50 $ civarındaysa o kalıplanmış tasmayı satın alırdım.

akınlaştır:[/QUOTE
]
sıkıntı neden kaynaklanıyor?
Old 03-09-2023, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes w212 e220 cdi
2011 e220 cdi lamp problem

When I turn on the headlights in my 2011 e220 cdi, there is no problem for the low beam headlights. but when I turn on the high beam, the driver's side is down and cuts off after a certain time. what could be my problem? thanks in advance

When I turn on the headlights in my 2011 e220 cdi, there is no problem for the low beam headlights. but when I turn on the high beam, the driver's side is down and cuts off after a certain time. what could be my problem? thanks in advance
My 2011 has the bi-xenon lights - 100% stock, no mods whatsoever. On the way home this afternoon, I got a center cluster message that said that adaptive highbeam assist was inoperative (or something close to that) after turning on the lights while it was raining. First time I have seen that but I figured I would wait to see if it occurs again since I rarely use the high beams. I mentioned it in case that is relevant to the problem I noticed afterwards.

When I got home and pulled into my garage I noticed that my driver side headlight was out and there were no other warning messages on dash. Don't know when it went out as it was still light out. I tried flashing highbeams and nothing worked on the driver side. Passenger side high and low seemed to toggle just fine.

So I shut down car and came back a minute later to try the lights in accessory II mode by turning the headlamp switch to on from auto. To my surprise the driver side low beam lit up. It did not seem dim at all - I would say it was equal brightness to passenger side. However, when I tried to engage high beam, the driver side highbeam did not work (passenger still did). I could hear a clicking sound whenever I tried the high beam. Then after a minute or so, the driver side low beam went out (passenger side continued to work).

So I turned car off and on again and the same thing happened - the driver side worked in low beam. Trying high beam would not change the light projected and I would hear a clicking sound whenever stalk was pulled back. After what seemed like a minute the driver side went out again.

One note about the clicking sound. Getting assistance from one of my kids to toggle the high beams, I could hear the clicking sound coming from only the driver side. No sound from passenger side light. After the driver side would go out, whenever we would toggle the high beam for the passenger side there would be no clicking sound at all.

So clearly there is a driver side light issue. However, it's not clear to me if it is a bulb or something else related to the headlamp. If the bulb didn't come on at all, I would suspect that. But since it lights and goes off later with no dash warning message, I am concerned it is something else.

What do you all recommend I should check?