E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Headlight painting.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 06:05 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 Evo X Gsr, 2012 Mercedes-Benz E350 sport
Headlight painting.

I'm wanting to open my head light housing and paint the chrome. I know that the ones that have tried it have found the lights to either be sealed with glue /silicone or an epoxy. If anyone has done this recently, how do or can you tell which it is sealed by? The epoxy sealed ones are almost impossible to open with out cracking I've read.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
2014 E350 W212
Originally Posted by armysoldier1073
I'm wanting to open my head light housing and paint the chrome. I know that the ones that have tried it have found the lights to either be sealed with glue /silicone or an epoxy. If anyone has done this recently, how do or can you tell which it is sealed by? The epoxy sealed ones are almost impossible to open with out cracking I've read.
Can't address your specific questions but here's my 2¢. I'd imagine the housings are sealed pretty well in order to keep moisture out. In addition to the hassle of opening the housings, and the chance you take you might break one, I'd also imagine it gets pretty hot in the housing and your paint might chip or peal off the chrome portions, then you'd have that going on inside the housings. IMO too much risk for this mod.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:56 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E350, Sold 1998 C230
What I think most folks dont appreciate is that the headlight systems are DOT approved and when you mod them by replacing them with aftermarket, changing the source lighting (like HID kits) or painting over the aluminumization (chrome interior coating) then they are no longer certified. I used to work for a company that built what we called Forward Lighting systems for cars and trucks and its a fairly rigorous process of testing.

I imagine many folks just dont care either, though the the whole process is designed to make sure cars have lights that do their job without blinding oncoming traffic.

And if nothing else, before you start to pry them open, you might want to price out what OEM replacements cost. And the stuff that holds them together is RTV, a specialized sealant that is supposed to stay pliable over years.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (05-25-2020)
Old 12-06-2016, 11:17 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Somewhat common practice with C6 Corvettes.

On the Corvette Forum there is a vendor, RLSebring, who for several years has routinely been replacing headlight transparencies and repainting the headlight assembly interior. In most instances the transparency is damaged e.g., hazed, foggy, road debris ect.

The process, in part, involves heating the headlight assembly so as to soften the adhesive, thereby allowing removal of the transparency.

I'm not the expert, but my recollection is that it is nearly impossible to reuse a transparency once its removed. That said, am guessing that M-B does not stock the transparency as a stand alone item. In order to procure a transparency, one would be required to order a complete headlight assembly. And that would put one back where they started, plus the cost would be outrageous.

Last but not least, aqinob has a very valid point.

Last edited by larrypmyers; 12-06-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550 4MATIC, 2011 Subaru WRX
You can look on the Subaru boards (NASIOC) on instructions for baking headlights. People would put the lights in their oven to warm up the epoxy to open them up.

A lot of Subaru people do it, but I personally have never done it. Headlights aren't cheap, even for a Subaru, and I wouldn't want to risk resealing them incorrectly and letting moisture in. Not worth the risk imo.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:54 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 Evo X Gsr, 2012 Mercedes-Benz E350 sport
I appreciate your comments. I decided i don't have the available time to crack these open. I'm not nee to painting the housing, i did my evo few years ago and still looks great. Only reason i asked here is i seen some older threads where some had done it with these housings and some found them sealed with some sort of epoxy. I went ahead and put lamin X on tails and headlights. When it clears the cloudiness ill post pics of the whole car.

To the poster concerned about DOT approved lights. I'm sure most have replaced their bulbs before. A majority of replacements are not DOT approved, HID is a total different topic.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:41 AM

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
2014 E-350
About 5 years ago I opened my Toyota Tundra's housings to paint a bunch of useless chrome trim black. It turned out great.

Going off memory here, I heated the lamps in my oven, one at a time, on the lowest setting (I think it was approximately 140°F), for several minutes. Then I took it to the kitchen table and pulled the housing apart by hand. Not easy, but not terrible either. Just slow so I didn't break anything, and a good workout on your hands/arms...the adhesives are strong.

After I painted what I wanted to, I heated the split housing back in the oven to reactivate the sealant...then pressed them together. Repeated for the other lamp.

Worked perfect, no fog, no cloudiness, like it never happened at all. Very common modification for a lot of makes/models of vehicles. Didn't have to buy any sealants...just a can of semi-gloss black spray paint and some electricity for the oven!

Last edited by fosterelli; 12-08-2016 at 09:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
belarus27 (12-08-2016)
Old 05-24-2020, 02:27 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 AMG Wagon '04
Bumping this thread.

Has anyone opened up their pre-facelight lights to paint them dark / E63 style?
Old 05-24-2020, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550 Sedan
The w212 headlights are sealed with what's called permaseal (or cold glue), meaning you can't bake open the headlights like you do with other butyl sealed headlights.

That being said, you can still open them in a couple ways.
You either have to do multiple runs on the over where you bake the headlight, get it out and pry open a section, put it back in the oven, pry open another section. For this method, you can get "cold glue tools" and do it.

The other method would be cutting open the headlights with either a hot knife or a sonic cutter and then plastic weld the headlights back together once done.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:03 AM

Received 379 Likes on 244 Posts
2012 E550 sedan 2019 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by ahmadk
The w212 headlights are sealed with what's called permaseal (or cold glue), meaning you can't bake open the headlights like you do with other butyl sealed headlights.

That being said, you can still open them in a couple ways.
You either have to do multiple runs on the over where you bake the headlight, get it out and pry open a section, put it back in the oven, pry open another section. For this method, you can get "cold glue tools" and do it.

The other method would be cutting open the headlights with either a hot knife or a sonic cutter and then plastic weld the headlights back together once done.

Yep I had to get a dremel, and cut at it. Replaced the passenger cover one with some I found on ebay.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:53 AM

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
2013 SL550 BiTurbo
I'm not sure about the glue used w212 lights, but look on youtube at Legit Street Car's channel. He just made a fantastic video on one of his w211's where he shows how to make an oven, bake them, paint them and reseal them properly. Excellent Mercedes Benz focused channel!

Old 05-28-2020, 01:13 PM

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts
2016 E350 Sport; Mom Wrecked the 2008 E350; sold the 2002 C320
There is nothing wrong with painting the inside of the headlights - it will not change the lighting properties or quality as long as you DO NOT paint or otherwise alter the reflector bowls.

Standard headlights might be sealed with butyl, which are fairly easy to open up by "baking." Plenty of threads & tutorials on how to do it.
ILS healdights will most likely be sealed with permaseal which although it is possible to open, I guarantee that you will cry or at least write in despair while attempting to do so.
To determine whether you have butyl or permaseal, look for the black stuff in the channel between the headlight housing and the clear lens. If it's gooey like tar or thick gum, it's butyl - definitely a doable DIY project. (Butyl may also be gray). If the stuff has a texture like tire rubber, it's permaseal.

There are many headlight retrofitters (e.g., the retrofit source) that can do it for you. It's not cheap but considering the work involved, prices are generally reasonable.

Last edited by EuroDriverSD; 05-28-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 AMG Wagon '04
Yeah mine are with ILS and I wouldnt want to break them taking them apart. I've taken head lights apart before that are sealed with butyl but not the modern ones that are with a tighter seal.

And I agree, painting the inside dark doesnt have anything to do with the brightness or range of the lights.

Last edited by Krister; 05-28-2020 at 01:20 PM.