E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Best Way to Maintain 2014 E250 BlueTec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz E250 Bluetec
Best Way to Maintain 2014 E250 BlueTec

Hi. I tried to search for answers but didn't get any luck about my '14 E250 BlueTec specifically. What is the best way to maintain my BT benz? This is my first diesel vehicle I own so I would like to maintain it properly and do it the right way. Right now, it has just under 40,000 miles so it is still under 50,000 mile warranty.

Any tips/advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,449 Likes on 3,155 Posts
'71 Pinto
Here’s the service sheet (BT = 651 engine).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
14 E maint.pdf (164.0 KB, 911 views)
Old 12-07-2016, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by konigstiger
Here’s the service sheet (BT = 651 engine).
I appreciate it konigstiger! So it looks like you change oil, filters, fluids, etc. every 10,000 miles rather than 5,000 miles on gas vehicles?

I'm looking for the best way to maintain the vehicle - dealership, MB-certified shop, DIY, etc.? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money at the dealerships on something that I can do myself. However, I want to maintain it the right way so that it lasts a long time for me. Plus, I keep seeing the MB dealerships here in AZ have horrible ratings in the Service Department.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2016 E 250 Bluetec
Thanks konigstiger, that is very helpful, i will print that out and keep it handy. I personally change my oil around 7500 - 8000 miles rather then 10,000. Due to the fact that the oil is heavier it is more likely to seize moving parts especially in very cold climates. Also if you are changing your own oil make sure you use what the MB dealer suggests. And always top off the DEF tank when you change your oil, don't wait for the indicator light to come on. You don't want the DEF to get too low, it can crystalize.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Congratulations on the vehicle. Lot of controversy over DYI vs. Indy vs. Dealerships.
I use dealerships for as long as I own a vehicle, up to 12 years on one. Have tried indys and there were quality issues and very little savings actually. This was using the most highly recommended I could find.
Consider the extra expense of a dealership same as you do insurance. With a dealership, it you think something was done incorrectly, you can complain to Service Manager, General Manager, Owner, MBUSA Customer Assistance, MBUSA CA Supervisor and even the CEO of MBUSA. With an indy, you can complain to the person who did the work or maybe an owner.
Dealerships can also act as intermediaries between you and MBUSA. They also do things for good will for loyal customers than indies can't or won't do.
Your choice, but you bought a Mercedes-Benz.
Happy Motoring
Old 12-10-2016, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by El Cid
Congratulations on the vehicle. Lot of controversy over DYI vs. Indy vs. Dealerships.
I use dealerships for as long as I own a vehicle, up to 12 years on one. Have tried indys and there were quality issues and very little savings actually. This was using the most highly recommended I could find.
Consider the extra expense of a dealership same as you do insurance. With a dealership, it you think something was done incorrectly, you can complain to Service Manager, General Manager, Owner, MBUSA Customer Assistance, MBUSA CA Supervisor and even the CEO of MBUSA. With an indy, you can complain to the person who did the work or maybe an owner.
Dealerships can also act as intermediaries between you and MBUSA. They also do things for good will for loyal customers than indies can't or won't do.
Your choice, but you bought a Mercedes-Benz.
Happy Motoring
Hm, I didn't even think about that part - that's a good point. The reason why I asked is that two major dealerships here in AZ don't have good reviews about their services or their Service Dept. Heck, I don't think I've seen a rating above 1 star about it.

I actually took my car in on Thursday to get the Check Engine Light diagnosed and have them fix my leather seat rip. The experience has been pretty good so far, it's still in the shop.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:53 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
Originally Posted by Motivology
I appreciate it konigstiger! So it looks like you change oil, filters, fluids, etc. every 10,000 miles rather than 5,000 miles on gas vehicles?

I'm looking for the best way to maintain the vehicle - dealership, MB-certified shop, DIY, etc.? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money at the dealerships on something that I can do myself. However, I want to maintain it the right way so that it lasts a long time for me. Plus, I keep seeing the MB dealerships here in AZ have horrible ratings in the Service Department.
Who does the work isn't important. It's that the work is done. IMO, dealerships charge far too much. My local dealer wants ~500 for a service, when my local quick Lube charges me ~$150, and I can easily handle the air filter changes, etc. That make up the balance of items to be done. In fact, if I could source oil for our Bluetec locally, I'd do the fluid change myself as well. Dealerships don't do a better job than other shops, and certainly don't do a better job than I do on my own vehicle.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:08 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
2015 E 250, 1999 BMW M Roadster, 1939 International Harvester, 2023 GLC
be sure they use the correct oil. I order my own oil & bring it in. Diesels are fussy on the oil. I use Fuchs oil in my e250 and my last 05 CDI
Old 12-13-2016, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel #2
Thanks konigstiger, that is very helpful, i will print that out and keep it handy. I personally change my oil around 7500 - 8000 miles rather then 10,000. Due to the fact that the oil is heavier it is more likely to seize moving parts especially in very cold climates. Also if you are changing your own oil make sure you use what the MB dealer suggests. And always top off the DEF tank when you change your oil, don't wait for the indicator light to come on. You don't want the DEF to get too low, it can crystalize.
I somehow missed this post. That makes sense with the oil heavier. Which oil do you use for your BlueTec? What about the addition or activator, or whatever they're called, that's supposed to go into the blue tank in the back?

Originally Posted by SEC1939
be sure they use the correct oil. I order my own oil & bring it in. Diesels are fussy on the oil. I use Fuchs oil in my e250 and my last 05 CDI
Definitely. Do you have the link to Fuchs oil?

Originally Posted by looney100
Who does the work isn't important. It's that the work is done. IMO, dealerships charge far too much. My local dealer wants ~500 for a service, when my local quick Lube charges me ~$150, and I can easily handle the air filter changes, etc. That make up the balance of items to be done. In fact, if I could source oil for our Bluetec locally, I'd do the fluid change myself as well. Dealerships don't do a better job than other shops, and certainly don't do a better job than I do on my own vehicle.
That's true. That's one of the reasons why I'm not real thrilled about going to dealerships... the fact they charge ridiculously for pretty simple jobs with the right equipment.

What about the addition/activator or whatever they're called that's supposed to go into the blue tank in the trunk?
Old 12-13-2016, 10:26 PM

None
I somehow missed this post. That makes sense with the oil heavier. Which oil do you use for your BlueTec? What about the addition or activator, or whatever they're called, that's supposed to go into the blue tank in the back?

Definitely. Do you have the link to Fuchs oil?

That's true. That's one of the reasons why I'm not real thrilled about going to dealerships... the fact they charge ridiculously for pretty simple jobs with the right equipment.

What about the addition/activator or whatever they're called that's supposed to go into the blue tank in the trunk?
1)I don't know what oil the Bluetec is 'heavier' than. I use 0W30 in our E250, and 0W40 in my AMG. The Bluetec's oil is arguably 'lighter'. Even if it were heavier, it wouldn't necessarily lead to a greater instance of seizing. Just change the oil when the ASSYST system tells you to.

The DEF (in the trunk tank) can be purchased at just about any auto supply store. It's fairly cheap, and you just pour it into the tank.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:38 PM

1)I don't know what oil the Bluetec is 'heavier' than. I use 0W30 in our E250, and 0W40 in my AMG. The Bluetec's oil is arguably 'lighter'. Even if it were heavier, it wouldn't necessarily lead to a greater instance of seizing. Just change the oil when the ASSYST system tells you to.

The DEF (in the trunk tank) can be purchased at just about any auto supply store. It's fairly cheap, and you just pour it into the tank.
Gotcha, good stuff to know. How often does the DEF need to be changed/added? When I bought the car, I was told to use BlueDEF for the tank - yay or nay?
Old 12-14-2016, 10:44 PM

None
Gotcha, good stuff to know. How often does the DEF need to be changed/added? When I bought the car, I was told to use BlueDEF for the tank - yay or nay?
The DEF usage depends on how you drive. We can make it 20,000KMs on one full DEF tank.
When you need to refill, any brand of DEF will do. My local MB dealer sells the same generic DEF as my local auto parts shop.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:34 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
2015 E 250, 1999 BMW M Roadster, 1939 International Harvester, 2023 GLC
You can google Fuchs but you cannot order from them direct. I buy from Northside they can ship direct to you. http://www.northsideimports.com/ I buy enough for at least 3 oil changes, filters too from them.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:47 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2016 E 250 Bluetec

That is simply incorrect. The bluetec oil is not lighter than say for example a 2016 Lexus GS which can run on 0w-15 or 0w-20. A 0w-30 can be used in the 2.1L Bluetec but not in temperatures above 86 F, 5w-30 or 5w-40 is used in hot climates because heat thins out the oil. Vice versa for the cold. Im sure waiting for ASSYST to tell you when to change your oil is quite fine however i would rather change it sooner especially on an engine with 70,000 miles or more.

Moreover, i would highly recommend against just buying any brand of DEF from auto shops, it has to have the correct water to UREA ratio rated for MB diesel engines. So purchase the AdBlue sold by Mercedes.

Lastly, the dealer has changed my oil thus far but i am quite certain this is the brand they use.

Last edited by Diesel #2; 12-15-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:10 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Do not fall in the trap, my DEF is better that yours. It's all the same.

Last edited by larrypmyers; 12-15-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,178 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Yeah, DEF is basically super concentrated urine. About 32.5% urea and distilled water, in humans it's 2-4%. That's why you don't want to spill any of it. DEF is def, you can get 2.5 gallons of it at Walmart for around $8, or you can get it at a truck stop, they have a separate pump for it at many truck stops and it's even cheaper than the 2.5 gallon price.

And if it's called DEF then it's all the same, otherwise it'd just be an urea solution.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:00 PM

None
Originally Posted by Diesel #2
That is simply incorrect. The bluetec oil is not lighter than say for example a 2016 Lexus GS which can run on 0w-15 or 0w-20. A 0w-30 can be used in the 2.1L Bluetec but not in temperatures above 86 F, 5w-30 or 5w-40 is used in hot climates because heat thins out the oil. Vice versa for the cold. Im sure waiting for ASSYST to tell you when to change your oil is quite fine however i would rather change it sooner especially on an engine with 70,000 miles or more.

Moreover, i would highly recommend against just buying any brand of DEF from auto shops, it has to have the correct water to UREA ratio rated for MB diesel engines. So purchase the AdBlue sold by Mercedes.

Lastly, the dealer has changed my oil thus far but i am quite certain this is the brand they use.

Actually...:
1) A 0W30 oil is more viscous at high temperatures than a 5W30, and therefore would provide better protection. 0W30 is both thinner when cold, and thicker when hot than 5W30. A better oil grade all around.

2) DEF is DEF. you'd have to work pretty hard to find something that would negatively impact the vehicle. Again, even my local dealer sells generic DEF, not Adblue.

Last edited by looney100; 12-15-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:47 PM

2014 E 250 Blutec 4 matic; 2016 E 250 Bluetec RWD
Bluetec maintainance

I have over 76000 miles on my 2014 bluetec.

Diesels don't use the same oil as gas engines; they need specific additives and modifiers to keep soot in suspension. The manual calls for 0W-40 oil but it must be for Diesel engines. I have no trouble finding full synthetic 0W-40 Del-vac at walmart. The Mobil one 0W 40 is a bit harder to find. I use Mann oil filters and bring it with the Del-vac to the Jiffy Lube where I can watch them do the work. My cost is usually $55 USD every 10 k miles which is at least three times a year for me. I use a K & N air filter which I recently washed and re-oiled after 50 k miles.