E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Leaving car running and doors locked?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 08:25 AM

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
2013 E550 4Matic
I haven't tried it in awhile, so maybe my memory fails me. I'll try it again this evening to see if it works how I said. In either case (Keyless-GO or not), you should be able to lock it with the valet key that's inside the fob. I'll try that as well, but I'm certain that method works.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:59 AM

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
2013 E550 4Matic
So turns out I was wrong... you can't lock it with the fob while the car is running. I was able to lock the doors from the inside (which locks all but the driver door), and use the valet key to lock that. The keyless entry actually didn't work at that point, and the door kept locked when I pulled on the handle. But it was running and locked, so /thread
Old 12-19-2016, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Is it possible to roll the window down, get out of the running car, reach in and press lock and then pull the window switch and move your arm?

Seems that would be easier than going through the rear door.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
e350 4M
you must have a weak sensor in the fob or something. i try doing the same thing (standing outside the car with a key in my pocket and the car is running) and by tapping the handle it will not lock.

the only way i got this to work was

1) pressing the close door button on driver side, this locks all doors by the driver side
2) driver side door has to be locked with the valet key.

when coming back to the car, the car can't be opened with the handle (which is annoying and ruins the point of it for me since my concern is loading my kid into his chair).

so now i just leave it unlocked like i always did.

Originally Posted by blegthbloo
It's easy with Keyless-GO... I just turn the car on and get out, then lock the door by tapping on the handle. Never have to take the key out of my pocket... and on my old car without Keyless-GO, I left the fob in the ignition and released the valet key, so I could lock it with that from the outside. You actually can lock these cars with the engine running... for Keyless-GO, the trick is to not have the fob inside the vehicle (cabin or trunk) when you try to lock it, because it senses its proximity and won't lock it (to keep you from locking your keys inside the car).
Old 12-19-2016, 11:19 AM

e350 4M
lol, did you read on the news how many vehicles got stolen in mpls last week while left running in the am?

the best story was someone took a car, drove it to the airport and left it at the check-in and boarded their flight.

Originally Posted by Abrown3mtg
It's all about where you live and the demographics/stats of your community. Now that I live in Uptown Minneapolis, there is no way in hell I would take that chance!
Old 12-19-2016, 11:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 E550 4Matic
My KEYLESS GO has a physical key that you can pull out so I do the following:

- Run the car
- Roll the driver's window down
- Lock the door from the outside through the open window
- Roll up the window
- To enter again, I just use the physical key to unlock
Old 12-23-2016, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sl55 , E350 Bluetec, Lotus Evora
UPDATE.
Sorry I been in skiing the past week. Anyways I tried the physical key turn on the outside and it does lock and unlock. I do not have keyless go. If I tap my door handle sensor while the engine is running, nothing happens. So for now i think my answer is to just use the key inside the fob to lock and unlock.
Also I do fill up my car while engine is running. I am probably the only person that I know that does this. I've done it to every vehicle I've own. I just simply do not like restarting my cars multiple times. Wierd habit.. I also only drink coffee in the evenings.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:46 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E550 4Matic Sport P2
Originally Posted by iridium7777
lol, did you read on the news how many vehicles got stolen in mpls last week while left running in the am?

the best story was someone took a car, drove it to the airport and left it at the check-in and boarded their flight.
HAHAHAHAHA Why am I not surprised? I need to double check my girlfriends method of warming up her Audi. We live in the heart of uptown off Lake and Lyndale. Despite ridiculous real estate/rent costs, not at all an area I'd want to leave a vehicle running and not secured. When I lived in Breckenridge, CO I'd leave my Range Rover running in the grocery store parking lot with the key in the ignition and doors unlocked. Never an issue in 5 years. (With town being so small and short trips + cold weather, Batteries got killed annually if you didn't do this. Plus the bonus of warm car didn't hurt.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Another similar solution would be to start the car leaving the keys in your pocket. Then get out of the car, Open the driver window fully, close the doors, active central locking by putting your hand through the window (and now is the tricky part)... Close the DRIVER window by pulling up on the single touch button and quickly pull your hand out of the window before the glass closes and pinches your hand.

I believe the method posted in the post no: 2 is much elegant and easier.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:13 PM

e350 4M
can we just stick with the key method? seems to work fine and you don't have to "carefully" do anything through the window, especially when there's snow and ice on your car.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,192 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nick-tay...g-in-driveway/