E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

In Need of help. Door Handle/Latch Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 01:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Mercedes-Benz E-350 sport
In Need of help. Door Handle/Latch Issue

So Earlier tonight I went to lock my doors and my girlfriend frantically tried to yank open the back door from the outside to get something before I did so. This somehow resulted in the door handle spring or mechanism becoming undone. So when i tried pulling on the handle after that, it stays in the pulled out position with no spring to retract it and has to be pushed back in manually. The handle also will not work from the outside but will from the inside.

And this is the worse part. when i got home, I was messing with the locks, child safety lock and door latch to see if that could somehow help the problem. In retrospect, not a good idea. I managed to flip the door latch mechanism with a screwdriver in a way that I guess it thinks its now already latched to the hook on the body of the car. And with that, the door will not shut. No manner of locking and unlocking seems to move the latch. This is the passenger rear door by the way.

Pics are of the driver rear door latch that works, and the problem door latch on the opposite side, as well as the broken handle.

If anyone has any thoughts let me know. I am hoping to avoid the dealer.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails In Need of help. Door Handle/Latch Issue-20170108_212902.jpg   In Need of help. Door Handle/Latch Issue-20170108_212838.jpg   In Need of help. Door Handle/Latch Issue-20170108_212937.jpg  
Old 01-09-2017, 07:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 E550 sedan
ouch... that doesn't look like you will be able to avoid the dealer.. The only way you wouldn't need to go to the dealership, is if you are comfortable tearing your door apart. You may be able to fix it internally if it is something simple like a return spring that popped out of place. However, chances are that will just be a waste of time, as there is most likely something seriously broken inside.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Proceed with Caution and if you have ANY DOUBTS- contact the dealership.
Not sure if this would work on the Mercedes (I did it years ago on another car), but you might want to try wrapping a screwdriver in duct tape or electrical tape to protect the paint. While someone pulls on the interior handle- gently insert it into the latch and move it towards the unlocked position. If you have a set of nylon pry tools you might need to hold it in place as you re-adjust.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:48 PM

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
2014 E-350
I've also used round tools to open the door or simulate a door closing. To troubleshoot the exterior door handle you can also remove the door panel with relative ease...back door on my 2014 only has 2 screws under a facia plate beneath the interior pull handle (not the door handle). Then the door panel just pops off by pulling from the edges (plastic clips). Literally takes me no longer than 2 minutes to pull the rear panels...takes longer to get the tools out of the toolbox. But if you're not mechanically up to doing these things I'd say a dealer or indy visit is in your future.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I was able to fix the latch problem somehow by playing with the inside door handle. So the door was able to close thankfully. But the outside handle was still broken. After looking at a picture of the inside of the door with the plastic panels removed, it didn't seem plausible to get to the exterior door handle without removing the entire metal plate that covers the whole surface. I bit the bullet and took the car in to the dealer today so i'll see what they say.

Glad to hear from several members here though that the door panel is rather easy to take off. I have taken apart door panels and other interior parts on my last few cars and bought a handy fastener remover with the forked tip. I suggest this to anyone who wishes to take apart plastic interior or exterior parts. So far I have just used it when changing my driver's headlight which was a HUGE PITA because you need to remove the wheel and the fender liner.

The picture by the way is not mine and from this post:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-replaced.html
Attached Thumbnails In Need of help. Door Handle/Latch Issue-photo6_zps41af3ac9.jpg  
Old 01-11-2017, 10:07 PM

Quick update on this issue. Dealer was able to fix it for no cost thankfully as my warranty is expired.

The spring that retracts the handle simply became unlatched. As the service adviser informed me, the door handles are made to do that so they dont break when stressed. Good to know, if it ever happens to anyone else. However the door still needs to be taken apart (completely i assume) so I don't think its such an easy fix if you wanted to try it yourself.