E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2 Things I Just Can't Figure Out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 10:43 AM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 4matic Sport
2 Things I Just Can't Figure Out

2012 E350 4matic Sport (new to me). A couple of user features that I just can't seem to figure out.

1. Easy Entry / Exit feature. I've got it enabled. Not difficult to find the setting. Press OK to enable ... which I do .. then the setting indicates Press OK to disable ... which pretty much means I've successfully activated it. But nothing. There's plenty of steering wheel adjustment room left for the wheel to move up when I turn car off .. but it doesn't budge. Is there an additional setting that I'm missing?

2. LED fog lights. You know .. the LED strip fog lights on the front spoiler, below the headlights. They are on ... regardless of the headlight switch setting (auto, manual, etc).. and here's the thing. when I press the foglight button (to the left of the headlight dial switch) to turn foglights on ... as indicated by the foglight on indicator on the dash ... THEN they turn off ???? This is just the OPPOSITE of what I expect. It appears as though my switch (and foglight on indicator on dash) are reversed?

nothing critical ... but after reading the owner's manual SEVERAL times on these two items ... I'm reaching out to you all here for any ideas - thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Howdy.
The LED lights are not fog lights. They are DRL's and designed to be on all of the time your car is on unless you turn them off via the info cluster or live in Canada. The fog light button increases the light output of your left rear tail light, so people can see your car when they come screaming up on it in a fog. I believe the DRL's are designed to turn off when you engage the fog light. So, normal operation I say.

The easy entry/exit features sounds like it is not functioning and will involve connecting to SDS to understand the problem.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 4matic Sport
ahhh... got it (DRL's). Thanks Key08. You are correct. The dash button is for the rear fog light. I suppose the thing that threw me off was the DRL's going off when the Rear Fog light switch is engaged. Nothing in the manual or anywhere regarding that feature. Much obliged.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,150 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
From memory when I had it enabled, I think the steering wheel only moves up when you open the car door. Did you do that? Also I disabled mine because in some old threads, there's a small gear that moves the steering wheel up or down and what can happen is that if you grab the steering wheel while getting in or out and put your weight on it, you'll break that little gear. There was a DIY on how to fix it, but I figured it wasn't worth the hassle and other people borrow my car once in a while so I didn't want to risk them accidentally breaking it.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 844 Likes on 610 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by KEY08
Howdy.
The LED lights are not fog lights. They are DRL's and designed to be on all of the time your car is on unless you turn them off via the info cluster or live in Canada. The fog light button increases the light output of your left rear tail light, so people can see your car when they come screaming up on it in a fog. I believe the DRL's are designed to turn off when you engage the fog light. So, normal operation I say.

The easy entry/exit features sounds like it is not functioning and will involve connecting to SDS to understand the problem.

The DRLs turn OFF with fog light as DRLs shine light in every direction including up, which is very bad in foggy condition. That's why the real fog lights have a very low angle beam and do not shine light in upward direction.

If you don't have the separate fog lights in the front I assume you have the Bi-xenon lights. These cars don't need a separate fog light as this function is built in the head lights. When you press that fog light button the rear driver side fog light comes ON and the DRLs go OFF but that is not the only things. Also the front head lights take the fog light position meaning that the head lights go to low beam (if they were on high beam) and to the shortest distance projection. My 2011 E350 did that so I assume 2012 is the same.

Last edited by Arrie; 03-24-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
The easy exit/entry on mine moves the wheel up some, but not all the way to the top. It will move it when you open the door (I think) or maybe put it in park.
There were some units that failed and mine did. Took dealership two days (under warranty) to get replacement installed correctly and then programmed correctly. Left it off for a long time, but turned it back on couple of months ago.