E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

So far, So bad.... But it looks good.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
GLE, SLC
Looks like the dealership took advantage of an out-of-state buyer which is not all that rare considering they’d just as well do it in person too. The fact they sent you to corporate usually suggests they do not really want to assist further.

All CPO usually means for any make is it is free of obvious mechanical defects, much more depends on the previous owner. Could you make this damage out in the listing, do you still have those pictures? The low front lip on the E rarely has no cosmetic damage, but this is pretty awful to look at. It is not transport damage, none of it looks all that new. The good news is that the damage appears to be all in places where it can easily be replaced if you wanted to, (I doubt the dealer would help there). The mechanical issues like the HVAC I would imagine corporate to step in and assist.

Let us know what happens. Car looks really nice though otherwise. Hope your local dealer's service department is at least competent so you can get the mechanical kinks resolved.

Last edited by bluegene; 04-30-2017 at 06:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zipsman03 (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 09:03 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 SL450
Originally Posted by zipsman03
Had they did the full certification inspection my issues would have been found. IMO. We shall see if they honor there obligation to me. So far I am expected to drive the 3 hours to get it fixed on my dime. The servicing dealership says they will gladly repair it if I bring it to them. They say they are shipping me the floor mats and registration paperwork.
Sounds like you're on your way to getting the majority of problems solved. If the selling dealership is willing to fix the car, on their dime, because after all it is a CPO car, why not ask them to have a driver, drive you a loaner, and then take your car back to the dealership, and when done, repeat the process to give you your car back.

I bought my wife an GLK at a dealership which is a little over an hour away. When servicing is required they'll come with a car for my wife, and take her car back to their shop for any servicing. Then, when it's done, they bring it back and take their loaner back. I've been so delighted with this setup, and dealership, that this past winter I ordered a new SL450, which should be in this coming Tuesday.

Anyway, again, good luck with this problem.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:43 AM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Off-topic - What's the motivation by stealers to invest $ into CPO cars to get them up to snuff? Yes, there are allegedly standards to be upheld ... but, I think the consumer is left to be the judge. The more $ the stealer invests, the more the more they need to get back when selling it. Feels like consumers could benefit from checks and balances.
Dealers (not the juvenile "stealers") have millions of dollars invested in their stores. Just having the money available to buy the store is not the only criteria to own and they must meet strict standards. They recognize the value of the CPO program and the manufacturer has a lot of leverage on a case by case basis.
tresean1 (05-01-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 12:45 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
Suppose the check and balance is customer satisfaction scores, right?
Old 05-02-2017, 09:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 E550 sedan
I am sorry to hear this happened to you. It's a good thing you caught it quickly though. They'd find a way to get out of it if you had taken your time...

That gap and the reported damage to the headlight makes me think "front end collision" Make sure they go over it inch by inch..
Old 05-03-2017, 01:55 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
That's a pretty color.

I typically like being second owner to let the first guy take the hit, IMO I have found CPO status to be over-rated and more of a reason to up the price of a vehicle. I've done fine to check and buy vehicles still within original OEM warranty, then follow with mfg. extended warranty.
Anyway, maybe that's more luck than skill. I've bought 3 over the internet and I truly believe a LOT of luck was involved with those lol.

Reading through the posts, what bothers me is wondering if it was possibly a thrashed lease vehicle, minimal maintenance, etc., that was termed CPO. It really seems to have a significant amount of issues for the age/miles. Have you put it up on a rack to take a look underneath? I'm thinking that maybe you pay someone local to you to really go over the car, look up the ECM history, etc. and not count on the seller to ensure that your interests are looked after.

Good luck, I hope that this ends well for you.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,378 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I am waiting for delivery of my W212 this week and this is pretty scary.
Mine is high-mileage, obviously with no warranties, but I agree that CPO is something that comes with obligations.
Sad life is that those low spoilers are always subject to scratching and my SL500 bottom looks like above, still I paid $1300 for SL so that makes big difference.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 E350 Bluetec, 2007 Corvette supercharged, Saab 9-5, Hyundai Genesis Sedan
I have purchased numerous cars out of state over the years. Only one delivery issue. The key is to have tons of pictures taken prior to shipping - digital film is cheap - take everything. Next, once its delivered, dont let the driver leave without a complete inspection, however long it takes. Document anything you find, including as many pictures as you need. If there is an issue, work with the shipper/broker and come to some resolution prior to signing off the deliver documentation. Once the driver is gone - its almost impossible to get anything done - the industry has a well deserved reputation. They will dispute anything and everything. Without rock solid documentation, your SOL.

As far as the value of CPO - my only experience was with a Audi A8 about 12 years ago. No real issues but they clearly didnt follow all the rules and procedures and still issued a CPO. Dealers just have to pay a fee to the manufacturer to offer it as a CPO. The buck then stops at the dealer. The manuf may help but its going to be much harder and a longer process.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 Chevy Silverado
Update

Originally Posted by davidjohnbamber
I wonder if a CPO inspection can be done while blindfolded? Both of my W212 CPO's had curb rash on the underside of the rockers. The first I found after purchase and taken care of by the dealer. The second one they caught before I picked it up. I think your car is a "little" more extreme.
According to Mercedes investigation, none of this was... surprise "transport damage", not sure where the blame lies; however they " plan to make it right" as soon as I can coordinate the service with my local dealership. it will be wonderful to get too truly enjoy the car as it was meant to be. I will keep you all posted.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:13 AM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2014 E550 Black on Black
Originally Posted by zipsman03
According to Mercedes investigation, none of this was... surprise "transport damage", not sure where the blame lies; however they " plan to make it right" as soon as I can coordinate the service with my local dealership. it will be wonderful to get too truly enjoy the car as it was meant to be. I will keep you all posted.
Glad to hear everything seems to be working out for you. Definitely keep us posted and let us know what the dealer does to correct your issues.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,185 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Still cannot believe that dealer would sell and ship a car in that condition as a CPO. They will get chastised and rightfully so.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:44 AM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2014 E550 Black on Black
Originally Posted by KEY08
Still cannot believe that dealer would sell and ship a car in that condition as a CPO. They will get chastised and rightfully so.
When I went to look at my car last weekend, I explicitly asked them to put it on a lift so I could look for scrapes like the OP has on his car because of this very post. I am sure they will make it right. The only downside is the OP won't be able to enjoy his car while it's in the shop for repairs.
zipsman03 (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 Chevy Silverado
Well I took it in!!!

No HVAC, they replaced the blower motor, wasn't it; but they left it in. So thats new. They found that there was a wire not connected down line, not sure why it was disconnected, So how could you claim to have inspected the vehicle that has no hvac functions working? An over filled coolant reservoir gave me the smell, easy fix. Adjusted drivers door for wind noise. They then sent me to the body shop, wait for it...... $7,784.00 in preliminary damage, but they are concerned what they will find when they open up the front right part of the car, as they feel that's why the bumper is misaligned. No one is answering the phone calls, just get voice mails with no return calls. My service guy is hoping they will respond to him. I have no more words thus far.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
wow, just wow. You still want to keep this car? Wonder what else they will find...
Old 05-20-2017, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,185 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Originally Posted by thefisch
wow, just wow. You still want to keep this car? Wonder what else they will find...
ditto. MB really needs to step up and find you a new car. I can't think of hearing anything like this before.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Has there been any new news? You should straight up send the car back. You have to be well within the Lemon Law etc. time span or this level of damage should void the sale. This is out of control, and I feel upset for you.