E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Latest Tire Rack UHP summer tire tests in Car & Driver print issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 02:22 PM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
2012 E350 sedan
Latest Tire Rack UHP summer tire tests in Car & Driver print issue

Tire Rack and C&D did a blind test on 5 ultrahigh performance summer tires. They were the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 3, Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2, Pirelli P Zero (the 2016 model with a small “PZ4” on the sidewall), the Continental Extreme Contact Sport (replaces the old DW), and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (replaces the Supersport). They are listed in order of finish from 5’th to first. The Contact Sport and Pilot Sport blew the other 3 away. I’ve seen other pro reviews saying the Contact Sport is the equal of the old Supersports so this is no surprise.
Summary of results is that the Michelin excels on dry (e.g. a 29.5 autocross lap time compared to 30.1 seconds for the Conti). However, the Contis excel in wet (31.8 second autocross time compared to 32.2, shorter braking, and a .03 edge in skidpad). Keep in mind that the Michelin wet performance blew away the other 3 tires, so Michelin’s wet performance is no slouch but the Contis are significantly better. Similarly, the Conti’s blew away the other 3 on dry pavement so it is a pretty good dry tire. Other comments were that the Contis were the loudest of the group on expansion joint noise, giving Michelin the edge on noise. Michelin also had a softer touring ride but showed a slight tendency to trammel. The Conti’s are about 18% cheaper than the Michelins.
My impression from the article. If you live in frequent rain (I don’t), go with the Contis. If you want the best street tire for clear weather racing, go with the Michelins. The Conti’s seem to be the best bang for the buck (as were the departed DW).
The following users liked this post:
cocobeex (07-15-2017)