E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Proximity light errors

Old 07-25-2017, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E300W4
Question Proximity light errors

Hi - thanks for reading! I am the proud new owner of 2017 E300W4 - she's very new, only 4,500 miles. It recently went in for it's service A with complimentary valet service. It came back to me and I jumped in and drove 113 miles for a weekend get-away.
Now - the proximity sensors are being tripped somehow. I'm not that technical but in my laymen's terms, the screen shot image of your car has a guide around it - red, orange, yellow levels of proximity warnings. Fine. In and out of the garage etc, it's cool. The warnings I'm getting now are with every break, every stop sign, someone in front of me or not. A single red light on the drivers side is most common. After a few times of that, the entire car image is circled in red light with audible warning for a second. Then once or twice a trip - the single drivers side red light is accompanied by LIM in the top left corner of the screen with suppressed usage of the gas pedal.
I understand LIM to be speed variable limiter - which is in relation to cruise control technology.
My front bumper has a missing a piece, a circle in the molding of the fascia - appears to be just for looks, but it is exactly where the red warning light is going off.
I am reluctant to return this to service. I would love to diagnose these warning first, so I know what I am talking about.
Mercedes corporate advised me to stop driving it and get it off the road. I would love to instead of the faulty alarms wherever I go!
Can anyone explain what the car is thinking and doing when these warning are tripped - this will help me determine what to fix.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by Foskbou
Hi - thanks for reading! I am the proud new owner of 2017 E300W4 - she's very new, only 4,500 miles. It recently went in for it's service A with complimentary valet service. It came back to me and I jumped in and drove 113 miles for a weekend get-away.
Now - the proximity sensors are being tripped somehow. I'm not that technical but in my laymen's terms, the screen shot image of your car has a guide around it - red, orange, yellow levels of proximity warnings. Fine. In and out of the garage etc, it's cool. The warnings I'm getting now are with every break, every stop sign, someone in front of me or not. A single red light on the drivers side is most common. After a few times of that, the entire car image is circled in red light with audible warning for a second. Then once or twice a trip - the single drivers side red light is accompanied by LIM in the top left corner of the screen with suppressed usage of the gas pedal.
I understand LIM to be speed variable limiter - which is in relation to cruise control technology.
My front bumper has a missing a piece, a circle in the molding of the fascia - appears to be just for looks, but it is exactly where the red warning light is going off.
I am reluctant to return this to service. I would love to diagnose these warning first, so I know what I am talking about.
Mercedes corporate advised me to stop driving it and get it off the road. I would love to instead of the faulty alarms wherever I go!
Can anyone explain what the car is thinking and doing when these warning are tripped - this will help me determine what to fix.
The "proximity sensors" you speak of are part of this ancient technology called Parktronic.

They help you with maneuvering the car in tight spaces. The system is usually comprised of 4-8 ultrasonic sensors in the front bumper and 4-8 sensors in the rear (depending on the model), an audio-visual alert system inside the vehicle, and various cameras places around the car. They are designed to work--and automatically activate--at parking lots speeds (hence why you are mostly only getting the alert when you slow down).

Can you take a pic of what you are describing?

From the sound of what you are describing, it seems like one of your parking sensors are missing or damaged or pushed inside the bumper dangling loose (hence they think there is an object immediately near them every time they move around in their housing, thus tripping the alert). Happened to me on one of my older vehicles, and the dealership had to reconnect it. It requires removal of the front bumper.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by tresean1; 07-25-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
I concur and think he nailed it. Unfortunately, back to the dealer you go!